Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

Paris on the Anacostia

Interesting proposal but would the wetlands be allowed to be developed? I'm sure many groups would fight a proposal to do this. It would allow substantial growth without displacement of current residents though. Interesting proposal and design though. You only see this in old world Europe so it would be interesting either way. What are your thought's on the design?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Paris on the Anacostia

Interesting proposal but would the wetlands be allowed to be developed? I'm sure many groups would fight a proposal to do this. It would allow substantial growth without displacement of current residents though. Interesting proposal and design though. You only see this in old world Europe so it would be interesting either way. What are your thought's on the design?

Nice design, but its a pipe dream - eliminating 295 aint gonna happen.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
But cars will eventually be eliminated, walkable communities, and rail will eventually lower their demand.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Portland took out a riverfront expressway. Freeways can also be buried or capped. With all the redevelopment in Washington, it seems like the Anacostia waterfront is going to be ripe for rediscovery soon.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Have they ever seen the Seine? It's a concrete-lined overgrown drainage ditch. Hardly something to aspire to.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Have they ever seen the Seine? It's a concrete-lined overgrown drainage ditch. Hardly something to aspire to.
Long-time ago, can't remember it. Doesn't seem too different from the Charles River in Boston:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bosto...41.62,,0,-7.21

which is rather noisy to walk along. I'd surprised if it's worse than the East River, but that's a low standard.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

really? the seine has been clean since the 1970s when it was cleaned up.
and it continues to receive overwhelmingly rave reviews from the tourists.

River Seine - Paris - Reviews of River Seine - TripAdvisor

Excellent 1,859
Very good 869
Average 192
Poor 26
Terrible 11

Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Long-time ago, can't remember it. Doesn't seem too different from the Charles River in Boston:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bosto...41.62,,0,-7.21

which is rather noisy to walk along. I'd surprised if it's worse than the East River, but that's a low standard.
What do you mean by noisy?

I guess I always thought the Charles was a pretty great city river. Of course, you complain about the East River but my city has the "best" worst river - Los Angeles River.

Wow the word "river" makes no sense to me anymore, typed it too many times.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What do you mean by noisy?

I guess I always thought the Charles was a pretty great city river. Of course, you complain about the East River but my city has the "best" worst river - Los Angeles River.
The Charles is nice, but some spots are nearly adjacent to an arterial. Some spots are noiser than others. The bike/walking path on the Boston side of the river is well done. Definitely a great city spots, but not perfect.

The Los Angeles River might have competition for a "better" worst river. Marks the border between Brooklyn and Queens:

Channelization made it one of the most heavily used bodies of water in the Port of New York and New Jersey and thus one of the most polluted industrial sites in America, containing years of discarded toxins, an estimated 30 million US gallons (110,000 m3) of spilled oil, and raw sewage from New York City’s sewer system... Its outgoing flow of 14,000 million US gallons (53,000,000 m3)/year consists of combined sewer overflow, urban runoff, raw domestic sewage, and industrial wastewater. The creek is largely stagnant, one cause in the 15-foot-thick (4.6 m) layer of polluted “black mayonnaise” that has congealed on the creek bed

Newtown Creek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the photo from the link has a strong industrial wasteland / concrete jungle look. Los Angeles River does look kinda similar in its wiki page.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Charles is nice, but some spots are nearly adjacent to an arterial. Some spots are noiser than others. The bike/walking path on the Boston side of the river is well done. Definitely a great city spots, but not perfect.

The Los Angeles River might have competition for a "better" worst river. Marks the border between Brooklyn and Queens:

Channelization made it one of the most heavily used bodies of water in the Port of New York and New Jersey and thus one of the most polluted industrial sites in America, containing years of discarded toxins, an estimated 30 million US gallons (110,000 m3) of spilled oil, and raw sewage from New York City’s sewer system.

Newtown Creek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the photo from the link has a strong industrial wasteland / concrete jungle look. Los Angeles River does look kinda similar in its wiki page.
Wooo that is pretty awful. The buildings built right up the edge of the "creek" make it that much worse. I think the LA River actually has some hope of turning back into somewhat of a natural river, there are lots and lots of plans to develop the LA River between Griffith Park and DTLA and places in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning