U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,266,947 times

Advertisements

how do you keep a dog in an apartment? how does it go to the 'toilet' when you don't have a backyard? do you just let it relieve itself on the streets? or on your kitchen floor? I don't think a dog can use a litter box can it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,567,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Better pet for urban living - cat or dog?
I'll say a cat because they seem like less work.

[but I'm not a cat person and allergic to some cats so I ultimately would choose none of the above]

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Cats can be left for a few days if someone comes in every day and looks in on them, and gives them food when they need it. Dogs have to be "visited" at least three times a day when the owners are gone, played with, etc.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
how do you keep a dog in an apartment?
You train it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cats can be left for a few days if someone comes in every day and looks in on them, and gives them food when they need it.
My cat sitter never even sees my scaredy cats. She says I'm her easiest visit of the day.

But you're right that cats are better suited to someone who isn't home all day, or who likes to take off for frequent weekend trips.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,575,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
how do you keep a dog in an apartment? how does it go to the 'toilet' when you don't have a backyard? do you just let it relieve itself on the streets? or on your kitchen floor? I don't think a dog can use a litter box can it?
Are you serious? I doubt this is a sincere set of questions...

But in case it is, you walk the dog. Whereever they poop, you clean it up. It's quite simple, actually. For us, the alleyway is most common and we walk the dogs many times a day.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,542,550 times
I wouldnt keep a dog pent up in an apartment. Its just not right. Its not fair to neighbors if the dog barks, either.
Anecdotally, I never see dog owners using their little spoons and bags if they think no one is looking. I get tired of seeing feces all over the place in my city.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,199,676 times
Off the subject a bit, but rabbits are an alternative. Quiet and can stay indoors. But they chew on everything. Electric cords and carpeting are their favorite targets.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM

6,635 posts, read 4,599,497 times
Cats are easier, but I don't like them. Dogs are more adaptable than people give them credit for. Just be sure to research the need of the breeds you're interest in and choose one that can live in an apartment and be content. Unless you have lots of time for trips to the dog park or are looking for a running partner, steer clear of breeds with a need for high levels of exercise. Most of all, make sure you're willing to make a lifetime committment to whatever dog you choose. They are not disposable.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Off the subject a bit, but rabbits are an alternative. Quiet and can stay indoors. But they chew on everything. Electric cords and carpeting are their favorite targets.
They're also delicious when done correctly.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,112,355 times
I'm an admitted dog person (allergic to most cats), but cats would be easier to care for in an urban (by which I'm assuming you mean apartment or condo) environment.

We did not get a dog until we bought a house with a yard. We got him from a rescue shelter and they even came over to our house to make sure we had appropriate space, including a yard with a fence, etc., before they allowed us to adopt him. Sometimes I visit places like NYC and see someone walking a huge dog, and I feel somewhat bad for the animal, because I think these big dogs need space.

But in an apartment or condo a small dog can work just as well as a cat IMO. I even know somebody that trained their small dog to use a litter box. (I also know someone that trained their cat to use a toilet, but that's another story entirely....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or