U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,716,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I'm an admitted dog person (allergic to most cats), but cats would be easier to care for in an urban (by which I'm assuming you mean apartment or condo) environment.

We did not get a dog until we bought a house with a yard. We got him from a rescue shelter and they even came over to our house to make sure we had appropriate space, including a yard with a fence, etc., before they allowed us to adopt him. Sometimes I visit places like NYC and see someone walking a huge dog, and I feel somewhat bad for the animal, because I think these big dogs need space.

But in an apartment or condo a small dog can work just as well as a cat IMO. I even know somebody that trained their small dog to use a litter box. (I also know someone that trained their cat to use a toilet, but that's another story entirely....)
by urban I mean urban - city center. What form that takes - whether it's an apartment, a condo, a townhome or other is not really the issue. But it would be unlikely that most people in urban environments would have large lots, and most people living in urban environments have compromised on space for location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,576,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I wouldnt keep a dog pent up in an apartment. Its just not right. Its not fair to neighbors if the dog barks, either.
Anecdotally, I never see dog owners using their little spoons and bags if they think no one is looking. I get tired of seeing feces all over the place in my city.

Well I don't agree with keeping a dog "pent up" either but mine are not. We walk them and walk them often.

I think they are better off than many dogs that have houses but end up as 'yard dogs' and run back and forth along the fence from boredom, barking at everything. I see that a LOT in my city.

My dogs don't bark excessively but part of the benefit of living in an apartment building that is pet friendly, is the fact that many of the other residents have dogs and no one is uptight about barking noises because they kind of expected it to a certain degree when they moved in here.

As for the feces issue; I see less poop around here than my old neighborhood where there were packs of stray dogs EVERYWHERE. I live in a nicer area and I see people walking their dogs and scooping the poop all the time, it's just what is done.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,421,599 times
I think cats are likely the easier pet no matter where you live (dogs need more attention no matter where they live!), but dogs are definitely good city pets if you have a schedule that allows you to bring them outside enough. I don't think dogs need huge amounts of indoor space as long as they're not cooped up inside all day. After all, for those of you with dogs, how much moving around do they do inside, anyway? Our dogs have always spent a lot of their indoor time wandering from sleeping spot to sleeping spot, or maybe when younger running around the living room.

One benefit about having a dog (besides the general benefits of dog ownership): it's a great way to meet people! Our family doesn't currently have a dog (too difficult while renting, alas), but I'm always pleasantly surprised at just how many people I meet while walking others' dogs. My parents seem to know everyone in the neighborhood thanks to their dog connections. It gets you outside, and you tend to see the same people frequently and get to know them and their dogs. Can't get that with a cat. (well, unless you walk your cat, which I have sometimes seen! A guy in my old neighborhood used to have a pet pig, too, which supposedly make good pets.)

Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I wouldnt keep a dog pent up in an apartment. Its just not right. Its not fair to neighbors if the dog barks, either.
Anecdotally, I never see dog owners using their little spoons and bags if they think no one is looking. I get tired of seeing feces all over the place in my city.
***OMG, my daughter lived in an apt. in the suburbs that allowed pets. (She and her bf had two cats in a 500 sf apt.) A neighbor had a dog that barked all the time (according to DD) and this woman left little bags of dog s*** by the front door. I saw that with my own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think cats are likely the easier pet no matter where you live (dogs need more attention no matter where they live!), but dogs are definitely good city pets if you have a schedule that allows you to bring them outside enough. I don't think dogs need huge amounts of indoor space as long as they're not cooped up inside all day. After all, for those of you with dogs, how much moving around do they do inside, anyway? Our dogs have always spent a lot of their indoor time wandering from sleeping spot to sleeping spot, or maybe when younger running around the living room.

One benefit about having a dog (besides the general benefits of dog ownership): it's a great way to meet people! Our family doesn't currently have a dog (too difficult while renting, alas), but I'm always pleasantly surprised at just how many people I meet while walking others' dogs. My parents seem to know everyone in the neighborhood thanks to their dog connections. It gets you outside, and you tend to see the same people frequently and get to know them and their dogs. Can't get that with a cat. (well, unless you walk your cat, which I have sometimes seen! A guy in my old neighborhood used to have a pet pig, too, which supposedly make good pets.)
There have been articles in professional public health literature about people walking more if they have a dog to walk. Now obviously, they aren't walking to the grocery store with these dogs, but they are getting exercise. In fact, I think I posted a link to one of these articles on this forum at one time.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

There have been articles in professional public health literature about people walking more if they have a dog to walk. Now obviously, they aren't walking to the grocery store with these dogs, but they are getting exercise. In fact, I think I posted a link to one of these articles on this forum at one time.
Why is that obvious? Park your dog(s) while you shop!

Last edited by nei; 02-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: fixed plural

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM

32,383 posts, read 59,858,320 times
I love that picture. Every time you post it.

I'd be so afraid someone would steal my dog, though. People are awful.

No one would steal my cats ... and live to tell the tale.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
While it is true that I am a die-hard cat lover, and to be honest, not that keen on canines.... I would nevertheless recommend a dog in this scenario. Ain't no cat gonna alert you when Tyrone breaks into the window with his gang-banger friends and rapes/robs/murders you.

Best have a .357 on your bedside too, while you're at it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
So how many of those customers do you think are in the store? Those dogs all look like they belong to the same person. They are tied to the bike in the second picture. I know a lot of dog owners and none of them take their dogs grocery shopping.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So how many of those customers do you think are in the store? Those dogs all look like they belong to the same person.
No idea. It's a supermarket at 10 am on a Sunday morning. Yes, I do think they belong to the same person.

Quote:
I know a lot of dog owners and none of them take their dogs grocery shopping.
Not everywhere is the same. Anyway, the point is I have two photos of dogs that were, not how many customers are in the store. And I like those two photos.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,267,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No idea. It's a supermarket at 10 am on a Sunday morning. Yes, I do think they belong to the same person.

Not everywhere is the same. Anyway, the point is I have two photos of dogs that were, not how many customers are in the store. And I like those two photos.

I wonder if the owner lives on a farm or a ranch having all those dogs? if so that's probably the ideal environment for domesticated dogs to be in where they can run around freely out side and not be cooped up inside the house all day long. and even better if they are being used as working dogs, such as for herding livestock. that's what domesticated dogs were originally bred to do and being put to a useful active purpose is when they are happiest. ideally you'd have two or more on the farm because dogs are very social animals and they can keep each other company. its a very lonely life for one dog living in the city and being left alone all day long when the owner is at work or away. that's seems like a pretty sad life for a dog, so living on a nice farm or a ranch is like heaven for them.

Last edited by cisco kid; 02-04-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or