U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,788,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
how do you keep a dog in an apartment? how does it go to the 'toilet' when you don't have a backyard? do you just let it relieve itself on the streets? or on your kitchen floor? I don't think a dog can use a litter box can it?
You clean up after the dog as you walk it !! Makes good you of the plastic bags from the supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,349,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
You clean up after the dog as you walk it !! Makes good you of the plastic bags from the supermarket.
There are actually faux grass "platforms" (for lack of a better word), where doggies can go and the liquid is collected underneath. There are also potty pads where the urine is absorbed and then the whole thing is thrown out. For the less technically minded, dogs have been using newspapers indoors forever. Check out the Jeffers pet catalog for more information.

Here is an article about it.

Indoor Potties for Dogs! A Doable Alternative? | Petside

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,098,346 times
Depends what you mean by "urban living." Plenty of folks in cities have backyards that are sufficient for dogs. Just as my neighbor's cute poodle.

I prefer cats though, because I travel a lot.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,588,088 times
Unless you have a rodent problem, I can not see why anyone would want a cat in their home.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,265,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
sure I guess for people who are willing to do that. but as much as I like dogs I don't want to go around picking up their poop every day. that's not a pleasant job. dogs are just way too high maintenance for me. if I lived in the country it would be different, in which case I would love to have a dog. but living in the city I'd want a cat because cats are low maintenance and they instinctively clean up after themselves.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Cat or dog, you still have to pick up their poop.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,265,101 times
yes but the litter material dries it out and covers it up which makes it a lot easier to handle since the cat buries it for you. you can scoop it up with a scooper at a later time for disposal at your convenience. with a dog you have to look at it and pick it up immediately when its moist and fresh (ick).

Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Depends what you mean by "urban living." Plenty of folks in cities have backyards that are sufficient for dogs. Just as my neighbor's cute poodle.

I prefer cats though, because I travel a lot.
Agreed, on the point about dogs and the preference for cats. If you have any little bit of space, like an apt. with a courtyard, you can have a dog.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
yes but the litter material dries it out and covers it up which makes it a lot easier to handle since the cat buries it for you. you can scoop it up with a scooper at a later time for disposal at your convenience. with a dog you have to look at it and pick it up immediately when its moist and fresh (ick).
You probably shouldn't have pets at all, if you're that squeamish.

Why just this morning I had to pick up a pile of fresh, moist and warm cat barf.

I was just happy I didn't step in it.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You probably shouldn't have pets at all, if you're that squeamish.

Why just this morning I had to pick up a pile of fresh, moist and warm cat barf.

I was just happy I didn't step in it.
You have a barfy cat, too? One of ours is a long hair and barfs a lot, in spurts. Hasn't done it for a while. That probably means she'll barf on the bed today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or