U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,674,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have a barfy cat, too? One of ours is a long hair and barfs a lot, in spurts. Hasn't done it for a while. That probably means she'll barf on the bed today!
All right, now I know I'm a witch! (Just like so many of you have said all along!) 20 minutes after I posted the above, I went upstairs to fold clothes, having finally dragged myself off CD. What did I find on the bed? A cat, lying next to some cat barf! (The comforter is now in the washer.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
In my city grocery stores and most others are not allowed to use plastic bags except for the ones that are furnished for fruits and veggies. So people picking up after their dogs have to buy them or use whatever works. Right now I am using what I have left over of the plastic bags I have saved from the grocery store before the plastic bag ban for the excess litter I dispose of when I change my kitty's litter box. I guess when I run out of those I will just buy plastic garbage bags.

So which is better for the city; dog or cat? I think the question should take in consideration which is better for the pet. If you have the facilities for a dog that's fine but keeping a large dog in a small apartment may not be so good if you can't take it to a park or someplace where it can run around. If you can there is no reason why the city shouldn't be a good place for it I suppose.

Cats are pretty easy. Since they are small, they do pretty well in small spaces but there are some breeds that are more active than others. I have always had Siamese cats up until my latest cat. Meezers are very active and if you don't keep them entertained, they will find ways to entertain themseleves and often not in a way their humans approve. Having them in pairs is a good idea because they keep each other amused. Giving them toys to play with when their humans are not home is another. Keeping them busy when their people are at home is a very good idea.

Of course if your kitty likes to sleep all day while you are away, that's even better.

As long as the animal is happy that's the main thing. A happy pet is a happy home.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM

32,403 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What did I find on the bed? A cat, lying next to some cat barf! (The comforter is now in the washer.)
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,543,462 times
I'm a cat man myself. But dogs are an interesting urban indicator, that people are actually living somewhere. I knew that Downtown LA had arrived as a middle class residential neighborhood when I started seeing lots of people walking dogs. People don't travel to other neighborhoods to walk their dog along the street.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,026,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I wonder if the owner lives on a farm or a ranch having all those dogs?
That photos was taken in Brooklyn, not too many farms or ranches nearby. More "parked" dogs:

The Waiting Dogs of NYC Out walking the dog

The blogger takes many of her photos while walking her dog.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,790,522 times
Cats easily win this one, no doubt about it. They're more suitable and adaptable for urban living than dogs are.

Now if one had a tiny dog, those could pass as a cat....hell, what I am saying?!?! My cat can beat up any small dog, haha!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
It depends npet and the training.Cats have a habit of throwing up from hair balls.Dogs need trianing to live peacefully in a home or apartment. But cat require less attention and dog require more like training and walks for exercise.Cats use a litter box wehile dongs need to go otuside. Both require being able to do ehalth checkups which maens affording the expense.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:26 AM

9,703 posts, read 18,891,498 times
Cats or dogs in the city? How about "neither"? Rabbits are a much better answer. They don't make noise, they are very cuddly (if you get the right rabbit) and if you get a long haired breed such as an angora, you can make yarn from your bunnie's fiber and have a pet that produces something. Their food is pretty inexpensive and they are pretty undemanding pets yet they interact with people and can be really fun and enjoyable without the drawbacks of either a cat or a dog.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Cats or dogs in the city? How about "neither"? Rabbits are a much better answer. They don't make noise, they are very cuddly (if you get the right rabbit) and if you get a long haired breed such as an angora, you can make yarn from your bunnie's fiber and have a pet that produces something. Their food is pretty inexpensive and they are pretty undemanding pets yet they interact with people and can be really fun and enjoyable without the drawbacks of either a cat or a dog.
True, but they chew on everything! We have had rabbits and you have to let them out to exercise but they will destroy carpeting, electrical cords and furniture. Lifespan shorter, fiver years on average.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,110,921 times
If you've got grass, can't bleat a goat!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or