U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,739,536 times

Advertisements

I'm a cat owner who loves dogs. The cat works great in my smallish space and is happy to live in doors (so long as I provide her excellent views of the birds and a little balcony on which she can perch herself and appreciate the city. That being said - my cats are committed urbanists who are independent enough to let us work our careers, but provide much love (and endlessly interesting clean-ups) for us when we return. The big downside of urban cats are urban litter boxes.

But I also know people who make dogs, even surprisingly large dogs, work well in the city too. Obviously if you have a small space and minimal patio it means taking it out for walks and to run with a pack in the local dog park. It's a bigger commitment. But for some people that works well - forces them to go out on a couple of walks a day - be social with other dog owners.

I have seen ridiculously large dogs in very small apartments and think that pushes the boundaries a little - probably not fair to the pooch or the people. But otherwise - I think truly dedicated urbanists can make either work. But dogs take a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 PM

12,341 posts, read 15,307,306 times
Cats rule, dogs drool. Definitely in crowded urban environments; their mews not as loud as barking. You don't have to walk them, great for busy people. And they control the mouse population which is a problem in many cities.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,675,829 times
I am decidedly a dog person, but even I would admit cats are easier to care for, especially in an urban environment. Doesn't mean you can't make either work, but I'd rather have some wide open space for a dog (or two) to run. Dogs do better if they're active IME...

Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 14,962,755 times
It's a trick question, a cat isn't a pet, it's a boss.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,612,485 times
We make it work with the dogs in an apartment but I would not do it on purpose again. We are both full time students, work flexible self-employed work, everyone's schedules vary so there are not usually huge chunks of times that the dogs are alone. And yes, it's true that we are now forced to get out and walk several times a day, but man, there are so many times that I wish we could just open the back door and say "Go potty!". Some days. Like when everyone had the flu, or it is super hot, or super cold, or rainy and cold. You get the idea.

It certainly takes a lot of dedication.

We've also had a hell of a time finding a rental that didn't care about our dog's weight (she's a sixty pound lab, but 8 years old and mellow)... that's a huge problem! We really need a bigger place but dread the hunt for a new place for that same reason.

We have cats too.. so easy. Obviously we have the dogs and we aren't going to dump them or re-home them so we deal but it is not ideal at all for us.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,152,345 times
Depends on the dog breed.
As I type this, my English bulldog Murphy is laying on my feet, snoring like a drunk fat man. Sometimes I have to force his fat butt to take a walk.

I wouldn't want to own a lab, retriever etc. in a small apt. on a busy street.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM

4,670 posts, read 6,152,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
When was the last time there was a published report of a fatal house cat attack on a person?

Dogs are still wolves deep in their DNA so the need to kill is always there.

House cats not so much.

Captain Dramatic strikes again.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM

32,552 posts, read 60,203,877 times
I know people who have dogs in apartment or no-yard environments and make it work. I guess making it work depends on the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's a trick question, a cat isn't a pet, it's a boss.
Ain't that the truth. Cats don't have owners, they have staff.

But my kitties are worth the harassment.

Gotta go now ... It's been called to my attention that the food dishes are empty ...

Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,782,980 times
Our family dog (lives at my parents) requires a lot of exercise, I don't think having a yard would get us out of walking her 1-2 hours a day or at least taking her to the dog park. Other dogs are much more relaxed though, so being in an apartment vs having a yard might make more of a difference.

Our dog does go after animals, she hasn't caught any yet but would probably still scare any rodents out of the house.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,739,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
When was the last time there was a published report of a fatal house cat attack on a person?

Dogs are still wolves deep in their DNA so the need to kill is always there.

House cats not so much.
I'm under no illusions about my sweet kittie...she's a killer at heart. Thankfully she weighs less than 9lbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or