U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM

281 posts, read 634,226 times

Advertisements

When I travel to the Midwest from where I live in Northern VA, and return to my home state of Minnesota one of the first thing I notice is there is less townhouses, condos and apartments, as a percentage of total developed residential land, than back east. Even in the Twin Cities (3 Million people) More land in many Midwestern Cities is devoted to single family homes, most on 1/4 to 1/2 acre. I have a bias towards living in a single family detached home and think an area is more attractive if it is developed mostly with this type of housing. (Though I can understand the need and appeal of condos, apartments and townhouses, but just don't like them).

If I live in a neighborhood of single family detached homes, and they want to cut down Johnsons Woods for a new development, I would not be happy, but if they must develop the site, I, and most of my neighbors living in single family homes with a yard and trees, would prefer Johnsons Woods would be developed as single family detached homes.

So with this in mind, what relatively large metro area has the highest percentage of developed land in single family detached homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,233,017 times
Detached homes dominate the major metros in the South.

You will find an even higher percentage in the southern metros than in the Midwest.
The major southwest metros (Phoenix, Albuquerque) are the same

Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,838,828 times
Obviously, the Sunbelt metros will have the highest percentage of single-family homes. As to which has more, I have no idea. I would guess Atlanta, though

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Obviously, the Sunbelt metros will have the highest percentage of single-family homes. As to which has more, I have no idea. I would guess Atlanta, though
Atl has a crapload of condos and townhomes too.
I was thinking more of DFW in terms of percentages I think metros life DfW have more single family homes than ATL

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Atl has a crapload of condos and townhomes too.
I was thinking more of DFW in terms of percentages I think metros life DfW have more single family homes than ATL
I know it does. I'm not sure if it's more than DFW, though.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM

29,989 posts, read 27,535,697 times
Houston's not in contention here?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,048,409 times
I'll throw Phoenix's hat into the ring on this one.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Looking at building data, permits etc, I think DFW had a higher percentage of single family homes.
for done reason Houston had been pumping out apartment complexes in the last few years.

I think the Montrose areas alone had 26 complexes approved last year.

Houston has seas of single family buildings with burbs stretching for Miles in every direction, but don't think it can compete percentwise

Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,546,281 times
The number of single family detached houses does exist in the Census at a metropolitan area, but it's not simple to easily get at. On a statewide level, each with more than 72% of housing units in single family detached homes the top 5 (not in order, closely bunched together) are Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nevada, and Oklahoma. It would seem same to infer that the major metro areas in those states would have high levels of single family detached houses. Those metros would be Indianapolis, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma City.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Of course it is, but I don't think it's more than DFW and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or