U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM

281 posts, read 631,805 times

Advertisements

If you visit most larger cities in Asia and South America most people live in high rise apartments. Think San Paulo:

http://www.travel-earth.com/brazil/sao-paulo.jpg

Actually in my travels around the world to mid sized to large cities I see very few places where there are large number of trees around the houses. Most people in cities around the world live surrounded by concrete- not grass and trees. But most people in the mid sized cities in America (think Minneapolis) live in single family homes next to grass and trees.

While the American model is more attractive visually, I wonder if that model will stay with us in the future. I see large high rise apartments replacing single family homes. A developer will come in and buy an entire neighborhood and in it's place will be huge high rise apartments and in the 22nd Century many American Cities will look like San Paulo. It will be sold as more logical and people will be trained to say they approve under the name of high density is always good.

Only people in small towns and distant suburban areas will live next to grass and trees.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,098,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
What do you think?
I don't think our fertility rate is going to make this a reality.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,105,724 times
Unlikely because of zoning and neighborhood plans. Even NYC is unlikely to develop a sea of high-rises outside of Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,886,114 times
I think it's foolish to make predictions about 100 years from now. Look how silly the Jetsons looks now. It never even occurred to them that computers would get smaller than the 1960s goliaths they were used to. That said cities would have to shrink considerably to become all highrises. You could probably fit everybody in the world inside a Phoenix sized cluster of 20 story buildings.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,588,088 times
hong kong is a good example of insane jungle-like urban density
http://popupcity.net/wp-content/uplo...ng-Outside.jpg
http://popupcity.net/wp-content/uplo...ng-Outside.jpg

Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Won't be necessary unless there's much more population growth. Also, just because there's highrises doesn't mean people can't have greenery and that inamerica it'd look like sao paolo. More likely America would look like Vancouver, which has lots of beautiful greenpace and parks with the highrise apartments.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,509 times
100 years ago, in 1913, the American population was predominantly rural, although the 1920 Census would find it primarily urban for the first time (bearing in mind that "urban" was defined as a living in a town of 2,500 or more). It's hard to project out 100 years.

If anything, I'd look at a depopulation scenario that far out. The American population growth rate isn't that high now. The country is below a replacement level of births among people born in the US, we depend on immigrants to maintain the population and the workforce. In the immediate, immigration is down substantially due to the recession and greatly increased border enforcement. In the long run, we could be looking at much less immigration due to 1) Continued hostility to immigrants; 2) Decreased attractiveness of the US/Increased attractiveness of other countries which are becoming economically and scientifically equal or superior. In the long run, things could change, but it's hard to see the US embarking on a French style policy of comprehensive services to families with young children in order to increase the birth rate of the native born.

Declining cities in the US and Europe (elsewhere?) are facing the problem of what to do about neighborhoods that are mostly but not entirely abandoned, this could become a bigger and bigger problem.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM

281 posts, read 631,805 times
Interesting perspectives but I strongly disagree with the idea that America has stopped growing. The population of Ameerica is growing like crazy. It has nearly doubled since the 1960s to 310 million and they say we are going up to 500 million in the next fifty years. Our economy seems to depend on a rapidly growing population and there are millions of immigrants that want to come to America. The immigration bill that is being floated in Congress will increase legal immigration to 2 milliion a year and immmigrants have lots of babies.

Regarding density I see lots of areas that used to be single family detached homes being bought up under the idea of smart growth and turned into high density. As gasoline becomes more expensive I suspect more and more people will jam into a smaller amount of land. I see a San Paulo model for many American Cities in the 22nd Century.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,509 times
Well, "like crazy" isn't a technical term. The Census Bureau's projections show the population growing at less than .8% (eight tenths of one percent) per year currently, declining to .5% (half of one percent) by 2060. They project a total growth of that period of about 100 million people, or slightly more than 30% of the current population. The total would be 420 million. I don't know what kind of place is Sao Paolo is, but it's a different place than what we have or will have here. Nobody wants to project 50 years past 2060.

And where are these places where single family homes are being plowed under and turned into higher density neighborhoods? There's certainly higher density housing getting built, but not on the sites of single family houses--that arouses ferocious NIMBY opposition that no city or developer wants to deal with.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,760,401 times
Most of Sao Paulo's neighbourhoods seem to consist largely of 1-3 storey buildings actually, with a few highrises here and there. And the areas that are dominated by highrises seem to have more greenery with the exception of a few wealthy single family enclaves.
Sao Paulo - São Paulo, Brazil - Google Maps
Sao Paulo - São Paulo, Brazil - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or