U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,895,238 times

Advertisements

Hard question to answer objectively. Every city has the pretty neighborhood where the rich people live and the ugly areas for poors. Just for natural scenery, I like Vancouver, Honolulu, and Albuquerque. Quebec's Old town is stunning, but what about the rest of the town? I didn't stray too far from the city walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,100,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've been to Halifax, cutsey, nice setting over the harbor, compact downtown. Feels a bit similar to coastal New England in style, though Atlantic Canada is still its own thing. Feels rather old, too. Halifax is a bit interesting in that it has no city-level government, all governments below the county level were abolished by the province.

Victoria is another nice looking smaller Canadian city, I have trouble deciding which I like more.

I almost forgot about Victoria, BC! That has to be one of the most beautiful cities in North America. It feels like an english harbor town but with more beautiful surroundings.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,561,010 times
Old Savannah, Ga

Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,278,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Hard question to answer objectively. Every city has the pretty neighborhood where the rich people live and the ugly areas for poors. Just for natural scenery, I like Vancouver, Honolulu, and Albuquerque. Quebec's Old town is stunning, but what about the rest of the town? I didn't stray too far from the city walls.
London seems pretty in every direction, so does NYC

Old 02-13-2013, 06:46 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,774,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
I haven't really gone outside Quebec's city walls either, but it looks like there are some nice places.

Squares and commercial areas
Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps

Inner suburb: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps
The Limoilou neighbourhood looks a lot like Montreal: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps
Avenue Royale, one of the oldest roads in Quebec: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps
This neighbourhood looks a bit more gritty: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps

I think Halifax and St John's would have to be the most colourful cities in Canada. Lunenburg is very colourful too: Lunenburg, NS, Canada - Google Maps
But it's more of a small town.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM

2,932 posts, read 3,656,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The cities we love are by and large characterized as having dense, vibrant, urban, walkable cores.

Yet we continue to build Houston over and over and over.
The cities that we love perhaps, but much and maybe most of the population in the US still prefers the suburbs. They wouldn't be building it if people didn't want it.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 27,475,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I haven't really gone outside Quebec's city walls either, but it looks like there are some nice places.

Squares and commercial areas

Inner suburb: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps
The Limoilou neighbourhood looks a lot like Montreal: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps
Avenue Royale, one of the oldest roads in Quebec: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps
This neighbourhood looks a bit more gritty: Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps

I think Halifax and St John's would have to be the most colourful cities in Canada. Lunenburg is very colourful too: Lunenburg, NS, Canada - Google Maps
But it's more of a small town.
Quebec City outside the walls is generally *OK* looking. I have heard people say that except for the old city, it is a horrid sprawling mess but this is probably because of the expectations raised by the old city. The modern parts of Quebec City certainly are not that bad. Not by North American standards anyway.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,202,224 times
OP asked for "most photogenic/prettiest" cities, so Boulder must be on the list.

The built environment in Boulder is ok, but add in the spectacular backdrop of the Flatirons and it is extremely photogenic/pretty.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM

14,101 posts, read 16,163,564 times
Quebec City hands down winner, although I've never been outside the "old city" part of it. I imagine it's probably somewhat like Prague is.
Vancouver
Victoria
Seattle
San Francisco

Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Quebec City hands down winner, although I've never been outside the "old city" part of it. I imagine it's probably somewhat like Prague is.
Vancouver
Victoria
Seattle
San Francisco
You really like the Northwest eh?

Having been to both, I can tell you that suburban Prague and suburban Quebec City are really different. Prague's suburbs were mostly built in Eastern Europe's communist era so they're what you'd expect, whereas Quebec was growing as a capitalist Canadian city with widespread automobile ownership. Not to say it looks like Houston, NA suburbs aren't truly homogenous the continent over. Here's what it looks like, but keep in mind there's plenty of urbanity outside of the old city walls before you hit this stuff.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Quebec...44.34,,0,-1.12

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Quebec...227.03,,0,5.68

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Quebec...77.23,,0,-1.89

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Quebec...297.39,,0,3.44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or