U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Charlotte's CBD/downtown is actually historically called Uptown, I forgot the story behind it.
Its consistent use can essentially be attributed to a marketing campaign born out of the mid/late 1980's. It's hardly historical. Before that time, most referred to the CBD as downtown.
Now, to be fair, the CBD of Charlotte is geographically north of the physical center of the city and Uptown does designate a direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM

9,839 posts, read 11,439,088 times
D.C. has a downtown and an uptown. There is a midtown or midcity as well call it in D.C. between them though. Most people use neighborhood names though like Shaw/Logan Circle/Columbia Heights for area's that would be midtown.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I will admit that I don't know as much as most posters here do about New York City. So I could be very well wrong.

But from my limited knowledge of the city it seems like major financial headquarters, and generally what makes "America go 'round" is in lower Manhattan, or "downtown".

Am I wrong?

Downtown = S------ getting done (financially).

Is Midtown NYC the financial capitol of New York City? I didn't think it was, but I could be wrong, as I previously stated.
Check the map in the post I quoted. Midtown has nearly double the amount of jobs, and amnenty wise (shopping, entertainment venues) more is concentrated there it feels more like the center of the city. Finance is concentrated downtown but other than some government jobs, that's about all downtown is dominant in. And some finance jobs have up to midtown. Office rental demand is higher in midtown to the point where the city makes some effort to encourage offices to move downtown.

The area of office space flooded by the storm surge of Hurricane Sandy in downtown Manhattan is equal to half the office space of the entire metro of Indianopolis.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. has a downtown and an uptown. There is a midtown or midcity as well call it in D.C. between them though. Most people use neighborhood names though like Shaw/Logan Circle/Columbia Heights for area's that would be midtown.
Where is downtown DC? Most cities its obvious looking at the map, but not DC.
As a typical tourist I always saw the Mall / the Capitol / White House but have no memory of "downtown".

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,596,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Here in Kitchener-Waterloo, the two cities grew together to form a single urban organism quite early on in their history. Kitchener is the dominant city (less so now than in the past though), so Waterloo's CBD gets referred to as Uptown Waterloo and Kitchener's CBD is Downtown Kitchener.

In Toronto the meaning of Uptown and Midtown has changed. Originally, Uptown referred to the Yonge and Bloor area, but the CBD has grown to include that area so the whole CBD is referred to as Downtown by most people. Midtown refers to an area that more or less corresponds to the former suburb of North Toronto. This area was a streetcar suburb built in the early 20th century but was annexed by Toronto in 1912. With the opening of the Yonge Subway, 3 high density nodes developed around subway stations, which are functionally like mini-downtowns. Even though these 3 nodes are separated by lower density development, the whole area is usually referred to as Midtown Toronto. That would technically mean Uptown Toronto is North York Centre, another node where intensification occured after the subway was extended North of Midtown. However, in common usage, the area isn't really referred to as Uptown but North York Centre/Downtown North York or Yonge & Sheppard. I think Uptown more often refers to pretty much anywhere North of Midtown Toronto (North of Lawrence Avenue), including North York Centre but also surrounding suburban areas.
To me for Toronto downtown is the CBD south of Wellesley, Midtown goes North from there past Yonge and Bloor (which is the heart of midtown) to a little past St. Clair, and uptown runs up from there through Yonge and Eglinton (which is the heart of uptown) to around Lawrence. North York Centre is just "North York".

Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,543,826 times
Just because the CBD of larger cities are large, its just to be more specific

Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,161,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If this is accurate and true, it has been put in terms that I can make sense of. Thank you!
It's true but incomplete. Uptown is generally the main residential part of a city, *following the principal path of (original) development out from downtown.* So Minneapolis' Uptown is south of downtown because almost the whole city is south of downtown. "Uptown" does not mean up on a map; the meaning is social.

Chicago has a downtown and an uptown but not much of a midtown. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are the "midtown" but only a few businesses etc. are called that.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Its consistent use can essentially be attributed to a marketing campaign born out of the mid/late 1980's. It's hardly historical. Before that time, most referred to the CBD as downtown.
Now, to be fair, the CBD of Charlotte is geographically north of the physical center of the city and Uptown does designate a direction.
I read a story significantly stating that Uptown has history behind it's name. That was years ago though.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 PM

512 posts, read 850,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Where is downtown DC? Most cities its obvious looking at the map, but not DC.
As a typical tourist I always saw the Mall / the Capitol / White House but have no memory of "downtown".
DC has a downtown, It basically surrounds the Mall, mostly on the north side. It doesnt look like a typical business district because of the height limit but it is very large. Its the 4th large central business district in the country after Midtown Manhattan, Chicago Loop, and Lower Manhattan. I think it has something like 75 million square feet of office space. See This Image http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GLfZG0Cd4L...0/56738456.jpg

Old 05-19-2013, 02:17 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Doesn't it depend on the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or