U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Might also depend on the type of coverage.

Average Car Insurance : Average Car Insurance Rates
The poster I responded to said she only had liability on her "old" 2007 Kia. We'd consider a 2007 a fairly new car, and we have full ins. on my 2003 CR-V.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM

8,226 posts, read 10,807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The poster I responded to said she only had liability on her "old" 2007 Kia. We'd consider a 2007 a fairly new car, and we have full ins. on my 2003 CR-V.
I was paying $510 a month for full coverage for both cars,but I needed to lower the cost.
I only have laibility on the Kia. It was suggested by the insurance company because the mileage is 109,000 on that car.
I thought it was fairly new. 2007 is not that long ago.
The car is worth only $4000 now. Kia's depreciate very fast.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 PM

1,329 posts, read 875,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, people spend a lot on cars in Michigan. It's part of the culture.
Indeed.
And the car culture is a big reason behind the decline of a once-great city, and a once-great state.

I make this statement as someone who was born in Henry Ford hospital in Detroit in the 1950's,
and got the 'ell out of the place in the 1970's when I realised how noxious that culture was.

The brain-dead people who still live that way deserve the demise headed their way!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM

389 posts, read 401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Indeed.
And the car culture is a big reason behind the decline of a once-great city, and a once-great state.

I make this statement as someone who was born in Henry Ford hospital in Detroit in the 1950's,
and got the 'ell out of the place in the 1970's when I realised how noxious that culture was.

The brain-dead people who still live that way deserve the demise headed their way!
I don't want to knock where im from, but a huge part of me moving, I want to experience a thriving city, I hope to see Detroit do well, but when I go to places like Boston, Chicago, or NYC, I feel almost jealous. People care about a city in those places, in Michigan it's like a battle, there are people who care, but even still it remains a one sided problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 13,573,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I agree.
At the very least, the gasoline tax should cover the Full Cost of maintaining the highways.
Currently, it pays only about half. So non-drivers are subsidising drivers - usually thru Sales Tax.

How fair is that?
Mass transit is subsidized as well, from part of the the fuel taxes, one of the accounts of the federal highway fund.

Roads and highways support our economy, all those little things you buy came via a road, so even people who never drive still depend on our road infrastructure.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Mass transit is subsidized as well, from part of the the fuel taxes, one of the accounts of the federal highway fund.

Roads and highways support our economy, all those little things you buy came via a road, so even people who never drive still depend on our road infrastructure.
That's one way to look at it.
Another way, is to consider what a successful Transit station can do to property values - it can double or triple them, raising more taxes for the city. Would it be right to pass back some of those revenues to subsidise the mass transit system?

This is most important at the Capital Expenditures stage. Once a rail system is built, it may require less maintenance expenditure (per person moved) than a highway.

Just saying... these are things that should be part of the analysis.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 AM

2,135 posts, read 3,686,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Wow ! Lotta money spent on . . . . nothing.
Think what having 4k of that back might do for your household or retirement fund every year for 20 years or so?
8k would be quite a stretch for me or my gf's car, but it is hardly "nothing". That "nothing" drives me to work everyday and gets me to see my family without that "nothing" I wouldn't have a job or couldn't see my family. Not every city has mass transit. My job isn't in the big city either.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
When someone in another thread provided a link that said the average ridership of a bus was only about 7 people (or something like that) there was some initial skepticism, but I think most people ultimately accepted that figure...
Why not use a smaller bus?
Have more of them, moving more frequently.

For instance, in Hong Kong we have BIG BUSES, like this:

And SMALL BUSES, like this with 16 seats:

Have you ever seen a small bus like those used in American Cities?
Why not, I wonder?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 AM

12,313 posts, read 15,224,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
In New York City, you really can't tell. Most of the ultra-rich will of course have drivers, but anyone with less than that you might see in the subway. A $30,000 car in NYC is not particularly expensive; actually, not really expensive at all, as it only gets you into the bottom of the "near luxury class" of cars. The cheapest Lexus retails for more, as does the cheapest BMW.
Actually there was once a reclusive New York billionaire who mostly walked but sometimes rode the subway. Probably not the only one.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Actually there was once a reclusive New York billionaire who mostly walked but sometimes rode the subway. Probably not the only one.
I'll tell you a story...
When I lived in NYC I worked as a banker, and attended a closing for my bank. Or client was the seller of a ship, and very large one (in fact, it might have been the largest one in the world at the time.)

When it was sold, we collected a check for $50 Million, and one of my jobs was to take the check from the closing to the bank. I had trouble getting a cab near Times Square on a busy day. So I hopped on the subway and rode the train from Midtown to Wall Street. At the time, I thought nothing of it.

A few months later, I got mugged in a place not far from there - this was in the days before Guiliani's successful crackdown on crime. And I realised that casual decision to carry such a large check in a place like that was probably not the wisest decision I had made. Still, it worked out. Accidents can happen in cabs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or