U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 AM

935 posts, read 1,055,896 times

Advertisements

I am confused with all of these threads about living here or there without cars "is it possible". Truthfully it is possible anywhere if you really want to. Wouldn't a better question be "Would you want to?". I mean cars, bikes, or any modes of transportation are about personal choice.

Personally I would not choose to live without a car. In retrospect that may influence other preferences I have, as in I would not choose to live somewhere in which it is more difficult to transport by car than by public transportation. So then it becomes a chicken and egg scenario, which came first my preference for rural areas or my preference for a car? Are they interwoven desires or is one a symptom of the other.

As for the title of this thread, NC/SC encompasses too broad of an area to really answer this question in depth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,538,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What direct action to car drivers take? Do they picket city hall? Is that not legal? Do they work on campaigns to elect someone with views closer to their own? Is that not legal as well?

I do not see how non-drivers are "suffering".

This is just one of a zillion articles that come up on road rage against cycists:
Cyclists turn to helmet cams to record road rage | khou.com Houston

In Miami, killing cyclists is an epidemic.
If you ride a bike for any time, you experience it.
This is the aggressive stuff . . . .

The passive stuff is taking funds away from pedestrian projects to fund road maintenance shortfalls as happens in every state, every year in varying degrees. The system is biased toward cars. We pay for their dominion.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
This is just one of a zillion articles that come up on road rage against cycists:

The passive stuff is taking funds away from pedestrian projects to fund road maintenance shortfalls as happens in every state, every year in varying degrees. The system is biased toward cars. We pay for their dominion.
Or perhaps the system is representative of the views and desires of a majority of the population.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,538,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Or perhaps the system is representative of the views and desires of a majority of the population.

That is not a reasonable way to determine infrastructure.
I suppose you wouldnt be opposed to all roads being toll and vehicles being taxed on their size and engine ci?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 AM

1,329 posts, read 872,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you for the compliment.
...they advocate spending billions on taxpayer supported light-rail systems, something I will likely never use as the RTD has run out of money to extend the service to our area, and plans to replace it with BRT. Also, the urbanists or whatever they want to call themselves on this forum (it changes frequently and whatever term is used is frequently pronounced pejorative) refer to suburbanists as all kinds of bad.
If it helps, you can think of light rail as an insurance policy.
Personally, I think it is a very valuable one - but maybe too expensive in most of the US.
That main problem is that the Light Rail planners have not thought clearly enough about:

+ The importance of density, especially around the rail stations (there seems to be a huge block in American minds about this key issue, and that is tragic - adding to the expense),

+ The best way to fund the capital costs, using some of the land development profits that will accrue in a well designed system

+ The best way to design the mixed use in the area of the station, and what to do with the parking

Of course, not all suburban folk have horns, but most do suffer from a limited knowledge of history, and do not realize how terribly brief the "suburban experiment" has been, and they are not seeing clearly that it is now failing.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I have heard pedestrians say: "Hit 'em with an effing brick", about motorists.
Will we come to that sort of war one day?
Will car owners find their tires slashed when they park in walkable urban neighborhoods?
When they commit violence on cyclists & pedstrians , they are pushing things in that direction

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I am confused with all of these threads about living here or there without cars "is it possible". Truthfully it is possible anywhere if you really want to. Wouldn't a better question be "Would you want to?". I mean cars, bikes, or any modes of transportation are about personal choice.

Personally I would not choose to live without a car...
It is all about the battle between mass transit, and parking.

The more mass transit, and the less parking, the more people will want to be carfree

When Cars lose their presumed dominance (ie when politicians stop seeing the car-dependent as an overwheming voting block), the balance in the public arena is likely to shift away from parking "to keep cars happy", to mass transit "to keep pedestrians happy."

"Unhappy cars, make for happy pedestrians" - to try out a soundbite slogan.
Or maybe: "Put a frown on your neighbor's car" could be a slogan of a future campaign.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That is not a reasonable way to determine infrastructure.
I suppose you wouldnt be opposed to all roads being toll and vehicles being taxed on their size and engine ci?
I wasn't referring to the reasonableness of the situation, but saying that it is not a biased system but one with a sense of logic if it reflect popular opinion. People aren't looking to make life harder for cyclists as much as easier for their way of life. Money has to be allocated to the benefit of the majority of the population, and the majority of the population drives cars. Money should not be used to force a populace to conform to demands of a few because they believe they're way is the right way. We all believe our way is the right way and need to find a way to coexist rather than attempt to force our views.

As for toll roads, yes I am opposed in my area. They would be more of an expense than a money generator. And I feel they cause too much congestion in cities and interrupt the flow of traffic, which increases the risk for accidents.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Money has to be allocated to the benefit of the majority of the population, and the majority of the population drives cars.
I strongly disagree with this.
That sort of thinking would lead to a dictatorship of the majority. Do you not see how dangerous that is ?

A majority of people are able-bodied, not disabled. Does that mean we can happily ignore and mistreat the disabled?

And what is going to happen in those areas and neighborhoods where car-owning does not dominate? Will all the parking be eliminated?

You need to use your wit and wisdom, not just put every decision up for a majority vote !

Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM

86,983 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:

There's plenty of road rage around. Driver against driver, cyclist against driver, driver against cyclist. I could do a google search, too, and find some articles to "prove" some point.

Please post some stats about intentional killing of cyclists in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or