U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,046,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
But simcity is an urban planning game - and yes, it's a game, but it should reflect the world we live in. The thinking on city planning has changed remarkably in the years since simcity was first introduced. The cities were at their virtual nadir in 1989 - since then urbanity has become predominant. I would hope the game would recognize that.
Having seen some of the threads in this forum, I'm not really sure there's a universal understanding of what is urbanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 PM

149 posts, read 268,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I wonder how good this will be? Have to say, I'm pretty excited to check it out - but dread not getting much sleep for a while

Game Info
To be honest, as a Sim City Freak I'm a little concerned.

I've been loyal to Sim City since I was six and Sim City 3000 was released. I've spend my entire middle and high school playing Sim City 4, downloading all those mods and additional buildings from sites like Simtropolis or SC4 Devotion. I even made one building for the game (it wasn't a great one though ).

That is why I was worried when Sim City Societes was released and when I bought the game, I soon realized these worries were valid. SC Societes was a total failure in my opinion, having graphics of a game for little girls who wanted a pony game for their birthday and their parents bought them SCS instead.

The new Sim City looks pretty worrisome too. Look at all those buildings - they do not keep the scale. It all looks pretty chaotic and from what I've heard, there is no longer a possibility of creative zoning - now everything goes with a road.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,272,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This post reminds me that its hard to believe that when the original SimCity came out, suburbia was king, downtowns were for the most-part dead, "walkable neighborhood" was not yet a buzzword, and nobody had heard of hipsters.
but its not 1996 anymore. yet the latest 2013 version of the game is still stuck in the 50s leave it to beaver mentality even after all this time since the original came out. it isn't keeping up with current trends in urban design and the designers seem completely oblivious to what they are.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,633,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyy View Post
To be honest, as a Sim City Freak I'm a little concerned.

I've been loyal to Sim City since I was six and Sim City 3000 was released. I've spend my entire middle and high school playing Sim City 4, downloading all those mods and additional buildings from sites like Simtropolis or SC4 Devotion. I even made one building for the game (it wasn't a great one though ).

That is why I was worried when Sim City Societes was released and when I bought the game, I soon realized these worries were valid. SC Societes was a total failure in my opinion, having graphics of a game for little girls who wanted a pony game for their birthday and their parents bought them SCS instead.

The new Sim City looks pretty worrisome too. Look at all those buildings - they do not keep the scale. It all looks pretty chaotic and from what I've heard, there is no longer a possibility of creative zoning - now everything goes with a road.
Man, you make me feel old! lol SimCity 3000 came out when I was almost done with college.

I loved SimCity through SimCity 3000. SimCity 4 was alright, much better after the Rush Hour expansion pack came out. But I've refused to buy and of the SimCity Societies games and whatever else they came out with. EA bought Maxis and things went downhill it seems like. I doubt I'll ever play the new one as I'd need a new computer, which I don't want to purchase just for that. I guess I will stick with SimCity 3000 as that was one of my favorites anyway.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM

149 posts, read 268,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Man, you make me feel old! lol SimCity 3000 came out when I was almost done with college.
Haha, sorry man I didn't mean to

Quote:
I loved SimCity through SimCity 3000. SimCity 4 was alright, much better after the Rush Hour expansion pack came out. But I've refused to buy and of the SimCity Societies games and whatever else they came out with. EA bought Maxis and things went downhill it seems like. I doubt I'll ever play the new one as I'd need a new computer, which I don't want to purchase just for that. I guess I will stick with SimCity 3000 as that was one of my favorites anyway.
I think what I've bolded is the most important thing here. Maxis produced strategies, EA produces games just for entertainment - no brain needed.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,591,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
but its not 1996 anymore. yet the latest 2013 version of the game is still stuck in the 50s leave it to beaver mentality even after all this time since the original came out. it isn't keeping up with current trends in urban design and the designers seem completely oblivious to what they are.
Trends in academia, liberals sitting around the coffee shop talking about how things should be or trends in the real world? The purpose of the game is not to push a political ideology, it's to create a realistic city.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,064,828 times
Quote:
The game should offer both. I want a city simulator that has virtually unlimited possibilities. If you can build it in real life, you can in the game. Sprawling suburbs, dense urban communities, mixed use or single use, new urbanist developments, neighborhoods with themes i.e. arts/culture, nightlife, family-oriented, you name it, massive freeways, subways, light rail, you name it. Such a game could easily be created but in a world where everything is about making the most money, software companies aren't going to release a game that won't sell well to 13 year olds.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,272,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The game should offer both. I want a city simulator that has virtually unlimited possibilities. If you can build it in real life, you can in the game. Sprawling suburbs, dense urban communities, mixed use or single use, new urbanist developments, neighborhoods with themes i.e. arts/culture, nightlife, family-oriented, you name it, massive freeways, subways, light rail, you name it. Such a game could easily be created but in a world where everything is about making the most money, software companies aren't going to release a game that won't sell well to 13 year olds.
exactly. its pretty simple to program an option to allow mixed-use development in the game. it doesn't have to be the only way to build a simcity but the option should be there. that something which is such an important fundamental attribute of urban landscapes the world over ever since time immemorial is not an option in a game that bills itself as the ultimate city simulator seems quite odd. in which case it is more of a cartoon than a serious simulation of any real city. you might say it was false advertising. to this day the developers of the game have never offered an explanation for it.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,064,828 times
Quote:
exactly. its pretty simple to program an option to allow mixed-use development in the game. it doesn't have to be the only way to build a simcity but the option should be there. that something which is such an important fundamental attribute of urban landscapes the world over ever since time immemorial is not an option in a game that bills itself as the ultimate city simulator seems quite odd. in which case it is more of a cartoon than a serious simulation of any real city. you might say it was false advertising. to this day the developers of the game have never offered an explanation for it.
It was understandable in the late 1990s but today its definitely necessary. I don't think we will ever get the game urban planning hobbyists wish for though. SimCity 4 with mods is the closest we are ever going to get. It's all about the money today and a game like we want wouldn't have enough appeal to the kids to be a serious money maker.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,407,937 times
Toyish Graohics
Forced Online Gameplay
Forced Cloud Saving
Forced Internet Connection required to play
Micro Manging
Gaps in Regional Play
No Sandbox Mode or Single Player Mode
No Terraforming
No Subways
No Highways
No Customizable Regions

NO BUY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning