U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,664,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Toyish Graohics
Forced Online Gameplay
Forced Cloud Saving
Forced Internet Connection required to play
Micro Manging
Gaps in Regional Play
No Sandbox Mode or Single Player Mode
No Terraforming
No Subways
No Highways
No Customizable Regions

NO BUY!
Agreed. I'm not going to buy this one either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM

13,924 posts, read 12,669,302 times
Bummer!

Quote:

Your PC's AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 is below the game's minimum specification.

The minimum specification to enjoy SimCity is a GeForce® 7800. Check below to see some upgrade options.
View full minimum and recommended SimCity system requirements.
Source: SimCity

Guess I won't have to come up with clever explanations as to why I'm coming into work with red eyes and falling asleep at my desk!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,475,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Bad thing is it will be online-only. It will not have the single player experience of the previous games. I don't think they learned anything from SimCity Societies. Bottom dollar and appealing to today's kids is more important than satisfying fans of the original series.

They also have very small map sizes. The largest is the size of a medium city in SimCity 4. The intention is to force specialization. Instead of giving us a quality city simulator, Maxis is giving us a social game.

I won't be buying this one and I was a huge fan of SimCity 1-4.

Cities XL 2012 is the best modern city simulator available.
I grew up on SimCity 2000 and SimCity 3000. I had 4 but I never got into it because it was too glitchy. I don't understand the backlash against the online-only SimCity. If I want a non-online only I can go back and play the old ones. I think a lot of fans just want the old one updated with better graphics, but I think that'd be boring.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I grew up on SimCity 2000 and SimCity 3000. I had 4 but I never got into it because it was too glitchy. I don't understand the backlash against the online-only SimCity. If I want a non-online only I can go back and play the old ones. I think a lot of fans just want the old one updated with better graphics, but I think that'd be boring.
Sure, better graphics would be nice. But they could also create more depth to the game. I like the concept of creating a city with a specific theme. Will you make a college town, a gambling mecca, a financial capital? And the ability to create districts in your city would be nice. I know there was probably a way to do it through mods in the previous versions of SC, but there wasn't exactly a way you could organically develop something like a China Town or Historic Downtown.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,721,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Sure, better graphics would be nice. But they could also create more depth to the game. I like the concept of creating a city with a specific theme. Will you make a college town, a gambling mecca, a financial capital? And the ability to create districts in your city would be nice. I know there was probably a way to do it through mods in the previous versions of SC, but there wasn't exactly a way you could organically develop something like a China Town or Historic Downtown.
SimCity doesn't allow you to organically do anything - you are completely in control of directing where and what gets built.

Organic development would put the sims in charge.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,046,842 times
There is a bit of organic elements, but not much. You still don't have control over how much things costs which can upset the balance of having a near perfect city. Building too many schools will make your sims smarter, but you'll also go bankrupt in a hurry. Not enough dirty industry and your poor sims will have no where to work. In SC4, they also put in demand caps where sims won't move to your city unless you build a baseball stadium or airports.

Though the flaw there is that cities don't recognize when neighboring cities have these special buildings. You can end up in a region with several international airports or like 5 baseball stadiums which isn't at all realistic. At least in SC2013, the way multiple cities are played solves this problem, but I'd still like the cities to butt up against each other so I could make a sprawling metropolis. Ah well, maybe in SimCity 2020.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,046,842 times
SimCity launch a complete disaster | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games

So the required internet connection basically killed the game, eh? Well, at least no one will pirate the game. Goal achieved!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 PM

3,202 posts, read 2,653,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
That's not true. You will have to be online to start the game, but once you start, there won't be a requirement of having to "share" your city, or interact with anyone online.
Sort of like Civilization V on Steam?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,591,667 times
So I have built 2 cities now in the new sim city, and I feel it is pretty dumbed down. Compared to city life or cities xl this is pretty simplistic. Also the city plots are TINY comparatively, you could not build anything close to new york in this game. The only advantage of the small city plots is it forces you to demolish and refine parts of your city and compact it once you have run out of space to build, which can leave you with a more manicured and carefully planned city in the end. Even the music is not as good as citylife. I will keep playing though, have to get my money's worth and perhaps it will grow on me. Perhaps I will get to some new level of metaplay once I am more sophisticated with how the system works.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
SimCity doesn't allow you to organically do anything - you are completely in control of directing where and what gets built.

Organic development would put the sims in charge.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. But I get what you're saying also.

All I'm saying is that it'd be nice to be able to zone a certain area and make it a special neighborhood type, like a China Town or a Greek Town. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it'd be a nice function to have. The reality is that you'd have to download a bunch of Chinese-looking buildings from a mod site and configure them into a neighborhood. That's fine, but to me, I'd like to see a feature where you can zone specific types of neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning