U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,117,377 times

Advertisements

I was a SimCity 3000 junkie...Had high hopes for this new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,385,408 times

FRANCIS RAGES AT SIM CITY, MORE LIKE SIM ****TY. - YouTube

Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,589,520 times
That guy is going to be dead by 30

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Having played more, I am beginning to understand what this game is all about. The real game seems to be in specialized manufacturing and building and managing your supply chain. For example you can specialize in electronics manufacturing which is initially a microprocessor plant. Feed in plastic and alloy and out comes microprocessors. Plastic can be got from a recycling plant, an oil refinery, or bought on the global market, or shipped in from your friend in a nearby city. alloy from recycling as well, an ore mill, or bought on the global market, or from a friend. the oil for a refinery can be drilled or bought on the global market, etc. There are different ways to get parts of your supply chain for different costs and different 'speeds' depending on traffic in and out of your city, your fleet of freight trucks, access to water, access to rail, size of shipping containers, how many warehouses to stockpile stuff while the trucks are out, how the factories are 'tuned'(what upgrades they have) etc. The fun is setting up a smooth supply chain so everything is ready when its needed and so that nothing runs out while you are manufacturing, and so something doesn't pile up and fill storage space causing one part of the supply to shut down until there is storage available (because your still paying for the plant even when its not running). Then on top of that you can eventually create tvs or computers with the microchips so it gets really complicated finding the optimal method of profit. It is all about timing as well, there is a lot of money tied up in a operation with profits coming in and payments going out at different times, you might go bankrupt if too many payments come in between the profits. If something is acquired by barge in huge quantities at once and you have a 500,000 dollar bill due when it comes, you better have that cash available when its time, or it might bankrupt you and you wont be able to afford to keep the rest of the supply chain (or your city) running until the next profit comes in. So far the most I have been able to maintain is about $1,600,000 per month (and it took me forever with multiple near bankruptcies to get that set up and running smooth) but there are people in my region doing about 6,000,000 per month.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,117,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post

He damn near died at 2:51

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,469,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I grew up on SimCity 2000 and SimCity 3000. I had 4 but I never got into it because it was too glitchy. I don't understand the backlash against the online-only SimCity. If I want a non-online only I can go back and play the old ones. I think a lot of fans just want the old one updated with better graphics, but I think that'd be boring.
Well I have flipped my opinion on this. I couldn't wait for the Mac version to come out. Now I will not be buying it unless they drop the online-only requirement. No reason you shouldn't be able to play a single player game that you paid for because of server issues.

I was wrong on this one...

Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,385,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Hes in his 40s and losing weight....

On the Topic of Consumerism and Sim City - YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hes in his 40s and losing weight....

On the Topic of Consumerism and Sim City - YouTube
Weight be damned, i'm thinking of the guy's blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning