U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

^^Oh, no you don't (argue like this again). The poster specifically referred to suburbanites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
You are right.
The Suburban Living Arrangement has turned many suburban house wives into chauffeurs - we even call them Soccer Moms! - when children used to walk or bike to school on their own. Result?: Obese children.

I like to point people to this old article:
Warren Buffett versus the Soccer Moms | Peak Prosperity

EXCERPT:
"We live here for our children," is a response that you are likely to hear from many US suburbanites if you ask why they live so far from the cities, and maybe with a long drive to their jobs too. Giving a lawn and space to young children, may seem like the right and caring thing to do, and it involves various sacrifices on the part of the parents, especially the ones who commute. A typical pattern might be where one or both partners drive long distances to work, dependent on a car and regular gasoline purchases for transport to the office. Where there is "a full time Mom," her life maybe be dedicated to chauffeuring her children to school, and various other activities.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,827,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, he didn't. He said it was higher in car-centric neighborhoods. The study appears to be from a journal.
It's quite a poor study. It conflates two factors entirely (availability of a park and walkability) and requires a third and fourth (availability of a supermarket plus unavailability of fast food) to achieve significance. It notes that there is a strong correlation between parental and child obesity but fails to control for it (or for pretty much anything else) in any manner.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM

14,062 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Here's another study - showing the exact opposite:

Study Finds Car-Centric Neighborhoods Strongly Tied to Childhood Obesity

There’s a fairly obvious relationship between levels of physical activity and the layout of our streets and cities. Still, solid research on the link between childhood obesity and neighborhood design is scarcer than you might think.

Walkable neighborhoods with opportunities for active play were linked to lower obesity rates in a recent study by the Seattle Children's Research Institute. Photo: Wichita.gov

A new study from the Seattle Children’s Research Institute, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, helps fill in the picture. Comparing neighborhoods in San Diego and Seattle, the study found wildly different rates of obesity among children based on “place-related” factors, namely walkability and access to healthy foods.
. . .
Children who lived in walkable areas, with a child-friendly park nearby and access to healthy food had 59% lower odds of being obese. Kids that lived in car-dependent neighborhoods with more fast food outlets had the highest levels of obesity (16%, which is the US average). But only 8% of children were obese in walkable areas with access to more healthy food.

/source: Study Finds Car-Centric Neighborhoods Strongly Tied to Childhood Obesity | Streetsblog.net

Perhaps you need to look into who was paying for these studies
Baltimore has higher rates of obesity than its suburbs. Clearly urban environments cause obesity. Discuss.

counterpoint:
http://oaklandnorth.net/2012/06/28/n...t-study-finds/
Newark, no more walkable than Richmond or San Pablo and much less so than Oakland, has a lower childhood fatty rate than all three.
Looks like car-centric is poorly correlated to obesity.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM

195 posts, read 235,433 times
Quote:
K,
From my own experience:
The Chinese who live in very dense and urban Hong Kong, are much fitter and less obese than Americans.
And Chinese who move to the US and live in suburbs are prone to obesity.
Whatever study you may want to show me will not mean more than my own powers of observation.
I think the density factor has very little if any effect on obesity. I think the main reason that Chinese people are skinnier than Americans is because of their diet. Chinese people eat mostly fruits, vegetables, rice, and hardly any sugar. Also they eat family style, sharing all their food, so there is always pressure to leave some food for others. Another big reason is that millions of Chinese people are to poor to overeat. There is also much greater social pressure to remain skinny. But in some cities the obesity rate is actually very high (nearly 20%, same as LA) even though they live in a dense area. Access to western foods seems to be the main cause.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM

14,062 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
I think the density factor has very little if any effect on obesity. I think the main reason that Chinese people are skinnier than Americans is because of their diet. Chinese people eat mostly fruits, vegetables, rice, and hardly any sugar. Also they eat family style, sharing all their food, so there is always pressure to leave some food for others. Another big reason is that millions of Chinese people are to poor to overeat. There is also much greater social pressure to remain skinny. But in some cities the obesity rate is actually very high (nearly 20%, same as LA) even though they live in a dense area. Access to western foods seems to be the main cause.
The Chinese in non-dense areas are probably the opposite of Americans... rather than walking less, they walk more than the densepack Chinese. Most of them don't have cars. They're also less likely to eat the SAD (Standard American Diet) than the Chinese who live in the large cities.

Child Diabetes And Obesity Rates Higher In China Than The US - Health News - redOrbit

Four times as many Chinese children have diabetes as American children. Must be because China is more urban, and urban causes diabetes. Or maybe because they're rapidly switching over to a SAD diet.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 AM

1,329 posts, read 872,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Average daily caloric intake in China: 2970
in US: 3770
Simple as that.
I wrote about Hong Kong, and you responded about China.
Do you understand that these are not the same thing?
I definitely believe that HK people consume more calories than mainland Chinese.
But I do not have the data to prove it

Whilst people here are true urbanites, there tends not to be an over-reliance on cars.
I will accept that diets between HK and the US, are very different

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The Chinese in non-dense areas are probably the opposite of Americans... rather than walking less, they walk more than the densepack Chinese. Most of them don't have cars. They're also less likely to eat the SAD (Standard American Diet) than the Chinese who live in the large cities.

Child Diabetes And Obesity Rates Higher In China Than The US - Health News - redOrbit

Four times as many Chinese children have diabetes as American children. Must be because China is more urban, and urban causes diabetes. Or maybe because they're rapidly switching over to a SAD diet.
Or maybe, just maybe, Chinese kids have more of a genetic predisposition to develop diabetes. Most diabetes in kids is Type I, which in not caused by overweight.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
You are right.
The Suburban Living Arrangement has turned many suburban house wives into chauffeurs - we even call them Soccer Moms! - when children used to walk or bike to school on their own. Result?: Obese children.
LOL. Toting kids across town to play soccer causes obese children. Got it.

Quote:
Children who lived in walkable areas, with a child-friendly park nearby and access to healthy food had 59% lower odds of being obese.

Ding ding ding ding ding!
Quote:
Perhaps you need to look into who was paying for these studies
Perhaps you need to look into the causes of obesity.

Quote:
From my own experience:
The Chinese who live in very dense and urban Hong Kong, are much fitter and less obese than Americans.
And Chinese who move to the US and live in suburbs are prone to obesity.
A little thing like food wouldn't have anything to do with that, would it?

Good grief ...

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

1,329 posts, read 872,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. Toting kids across town to play soccer causes obese children. Got it.
Lack of exercise*
Wrong food.

*Soccer moms are chauffeurs for more than soccer matches, don't you know !

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Do you know any "Soccer Moms" Geologic? Have any first-hand knowledge of this stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning