Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM

214 posts, read 410,312 times

Advertisements

I'm working on a SWOT Analysis on the city of Denver by comparing its inner city woes to other major areas in the country. There is a 40 mile corridor that spans from downtown Denver to Aurora that has been deemed a 'hot' zone for intense poverty, limited access, high crime, increased gang activity, and growing dropout rates. I'm wondering what are the most difficult cities in this country for inner-city dwellers to overcome similar living conditions? I will attach my SWOT Analysis on Denver once completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
There is a lot of crime and poverty in my city, but I'm not sure that answers your question. I don't know if it's any more difficult to overcome here than it is in Denver.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
I believe it all boils down to the dominant social culture of a zip code. The culture makes the problems more so than the problems make the culture. How do you change culture? Partly by demonstrating/selling a superior one, but mostly by making it clear to them the one-to-one correlation between their inferior culture and it's negative outcomes.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I believe it all boils down to the dominant social culture of a zip code. The culture makes the problems more so than the problems make the culture. How do you change culture? Partly by demonstrating/selling a superior one, but mostly by making it clear to them the one-to-one correlation between their inferior culture and it's negative outcomes.
In my zip code we have both multi-million dollar mansions and some of the worst blocks in the US.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
In my zip code we have both multi-million dollar mansions and some of the worst blocks in the US.
Fine, dominant social culture of a neighborhood in your case. Often zip code, sometimes town, sometimes state, sometimes country.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
I don't know why, but it surprises me that Denver has an inner-city problem. Other than the mass shootings in nearby suburbs, I have hardly ever heard about crime and poverty that goes on there.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I don't know why, but it surprises me that Denver has an inner-city problem. Other than the mass shootings in nearby suburbs, I have hardly ever heard about crime and poverty that goes on there.
I've seen some on my visits, but I'm certain it does not scale to the same level as the post-industrial cities. Hopefully some of our Denver contributors see this.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

There you go. Violence isn't exactly a perfect indicator, but it's pretty well correlated to all of them.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM

214 posts, read 410,312 times
The gang activity is significant in Denver. Not too mentioned, poverty is poverty regardless of the city. It just get magnified in the much larger cities. However, Denver by all means is not averse to violence, drugs, high dropout, economic decay, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
I'm working on a SWOT Analysis on the city of Denver by comparing its inner city woes to other major areas in the country. There is a 40 mile corridor that spans from downtown Denver to Aurora that has been deemed a 'hot' zone for intense poverty, limited access, high crime, increased gang activity, and growing dropout rates. I'm wondering what are the most difficult cities in this country for inner-city dwellers to overcome similar living conditions? I will attach my SWOT Analysis on Denver once completed.
Camden, NJ comes immediately to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning