U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Grade For This City:
A+/A/A- 8 57.14%
B+/B/B- 1 7.14%
C+/C/C- 2 14.29%
D+/D/D- 0 0%
F+/F/F- 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times

Advertisements

This new city has plenty of noticeable differences in character compared to the city that was created before in a related topic while also having some similar qualities, demographics, activities, events, scenery.

I would like to see an honest grade for this city in the poll, and some specific opinions for how some people view this. Try to say your 3 favorite/best and 2 least favorite/worst characteristics about this city.

Here is some information for this current new city:

City name: Stavenger Vasteras.

Population for City Limits: 901,888
Entire Metropolitan Region Population: 1,115,119: Near 1.1 million people.
*The large majority of people live in city limits with rather few living in the other areas of the metropolitan region.

Mixed Density with plenty of high density, medium density, and low density that is placed in excellent locations and neighborhood areas for that.

Architecture that is Magnificent, Impressive, Intriguing, Filled with Soul, Intricate Details, Visually Pleasant, and Consistently in an Excellent Location for all density levels.

A lot of architecture for historic/classic forms of architecture and some modern forms of it too.

Here is just a brief guess approximation for number of buildings related to height:
The top 3 tallest buildings at least 1,000 feet/100 floors: 3
Buildings >800/80 floors: 11
Buildings >500/50 floors: 25
Buildings >200/20 floors: 100 Buildings >100/10 floors: 350
Buildings >50/5 floors: 1,000+
Buildings less than 50 feet/less than 5 floors: 2,000+

A lot of independent stores/businesses for a large variety of shopping/consumer activities. Some chain stores, but a minimal lack to zero chain stores for some consumer activities.

A lot of restaurants for almost cuisines with the best, most healthy, tasty food with fun flavors. Most restaurants have are designed well and some have a very large space.

Plenty of Independent Cafes/Espresso Bars with a perfect ambience, seating/tables, free computer wifi, that also sell restaurant meals, and desserts. Etc.

A lot of sophisticated/classy bars that also sell other products other than drinks.

The city region has a large amount of cultural events.

Public Transportation is a monorail system, trams, and buses that cover the entire city limits and some parts of the metropolitan region.

The monorail system is mostly above ground, acts like an elevated subway system, looks visually pleasant with intricate details, travels fast between stations but also is relatively quiet with minimal noises thanks to the infrastructure of the tires/rails for it to move fast and quiet, and is very effective/reliable with frequent service from 7am to 12midnight. From 12 to 7am it probably closes during that time, but if that interferes with the grading too much then maybe it does stay open 24 hours.

The monorail system stations have fancy elaborate designs and the entire system is very clean. All stations have escalators.

The tram system is smaller, and does not interfere with road traffic since it is designated in a separate lane. The tram system looks as good as the monorail. There are some bus lines. No taxis because they interfere with road traffic.

Most people own cars that they use sometimes and the traffic is usually not so bad so it is easy to also get around by car.

The economy is vibrant/highly diversified and gives a high percentage of the population middle class, and higher income. 60% of the population is middle class and 30% of the population is even higher income. Most of them live in city limits. 10% of the population has low income and most of them actually live in some of the suburbs and not city limits.

The crime rate is very low to near non-existent for most of the metropolitan region, especially city limits. Only some of the suburbs have moderate crime rate.

The city region has a very high percentage of highly educated people.

The metropolitan region is along a coastal area and a few hours away from plenty of mountainous scenery.

It is near two other metropolitan regions that are somewhat similar while also unique, but these 3 metropolitan regions are very isolated from other heavily populated areas. There is a lot of open space and mostly untouched nature scenery in between.

The city region is vibrant, exciting, but also usually plenty of easygoing, laid back, slow paced, quiet energy. A lot of the region is very peaceful, relaxing, easy to find contentment in, where most people live to their full potential, and are happy and satisfied with life/existence.

There is also other features about this city but that is it for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,417,949 times
This doesn't even sound realistic in SimCity.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 PM

2,765 posts, read 1,130,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I could do it if I had enough time.

Realistically, no city in real life could ever be that perfect...

Old 02-16-2013, 02:07 PM

14,056 posts, read 16,063,174 times
Does it have unicorns too?

Honestly, while it sounds very pleasant for the 90% privileged class that lives there, I have no idea how it would function. Middle-class is generally defined as those making in the top 40% to top 5% of income -- which is apparently 60% of this metro region. I guess that's your bar tenders, wait staff, lower level civil servants, shop staff, while the 10% that are working-class are McDonald's workers. Things like yardwork and construction probably are done by temporary workers. Actually, sounds a lot like some of the UAE countries where you have very wealthy cities and then you go outside the city and 90% of the population has no roads, no electricity, no schools, no hospitals, and basically aren't engaged in the economy at all. The money mostly comes from oil or maybe shipping. A large percentage of the workforce is temporary workers (SE Asians) who do the construction, garbage collection, do the deliveries and other menial tasks but aren't counted in official statistics which is why 90% of the population can be wealthy and middle-class.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM

5,593 posts, read 6,370,145 times
A+. If I had to live in a city, something like what you outlined would be nearly ideal in every respect. You've described a sort of utopia, but I'll rate the best and worst aspects:

Best:

1. High-income population
2. Low crime rate
3. Excellent infrastructure
4. Isolated from other populated areas aside from the 2 other metros
5. The population figure is enough to be a big city, but not enough to be very crowded

Worst:

1. Not enough tall buildings.
2. Located on a coast; I'd prefer an interior location

Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Why do you view this excellent, magnificent city I said earlier to not be realistic?

That is completely realistic and possible for such a city to easily exist, and someone should not lower their standards because of pessimism, cynicism, and anything else that might discourage them for how nice a city should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I could do it if I had enough time.

Realistically, no city in real life could ever be that perfect...
Well, similar opinions as the poster before, but at least this was technically a compliment to say my city is perfect.

Looks like the Architecture college major goes well with my aptitude and talent in Urban Planning.

Either way, this topic was more about Entertainment in Urban Planning, Experimentation, Impressive Vision in Ideas, and the Configuration of a Possible Version of a High Quality Perfect Kind of City.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Honestly, while it sounds very pleasant for the 90% privileged class that lives there, I have no idea how it would function. Middle-class is generally defined as those making in the top 40% to top 5% of income -- which is apparently 60% of this metro region. I guess that's your bar tenders, wait staff, lower level civil servants, shop staff, while the 10% that are working-class are McDonald's workers. Things like yardwork and construction probably are done by temporary workers. Actually, sounds a lot like some of the UAE countries where you have very wealthy cities and then you go outside the city and 90% of the population has no roads, no electricity, no schools, no hospitals, and basically aren't engaged in the economy at all. The money mostly comes from oil or maybe shipping. A large percentage of the workforce is temporary workers (SE Asians) who do the construction, garbage collection, do the deliveries and other menial tasks but aren't counted in official statistics which is why 90% of the population can be wealthy and middle-class.
I used other standards for the establishment of middle class in this city. That is pretty much anyone that makes $45,000 to $80,000 per year.

Cities could easily function well when having a very high percentage of middle class and high income wealthy people. That happens when the economy is vibrant and highly diversified in career opportunities that offer high annual salary and minimizing the jobs that are not as desirable or giving only low income.

There are some actual cities and even entire countries that exist and have 60% to 90% of the population being at least middle class and below 10% of the population in low income poverty, so based on that I know my city should have this.

From what I remember, these are some of those countries that show similar statistics: Norway, Switzerland, Singapore. Some cities: Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Zurich, Geneva, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Seattle, Amsterdam.

The UAE example you said and the city of Dubai is mostly a different situation compared to those other places.

However, there is much more to the success of a city than just economy. A city could possibly have a good economy but be mediocre, bland, not do well in most urban planning standards, and not regarded with respect in certain Urban Planning topics.

My city has a balance and offers a lot of high quality, intriguing entertainment and urban planning characteristics to be so pleasant.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
A+. If I had to live in a city, something like what you outlined would be nearly ideal in every respect. You've described a sort of utopia, but I'll rate the best and worst aspects:

Best:

1. High-income population
2. Low crime rate
3. Excellent infrastructure
4. Isolated from other populated areas aside from the 2 other metros
5. The population figure is enough to be a big city, but not enough to be very crowded

Worst:

1. Not enough tall buildings.
2. Located on a coast; I'd prefer an interior location
I am glad to see a lot of other people view this to be a perfect city of their dreams, being very enthusiastic, and impressed with this kind of city.

Its not as easy as it appears to come up with a made up simulated city topic that contains a wealth of information.

I agree those are some of the best features of this city region. I would also include variety of entertainment options, architecture, mixed density levels, culture, lifestyle, well balanced in people scene/energy/surroundings, blend of urban+nature scenery.

Well, for the population size I believe it has enough tall buildings that are 10 floors and higher. A building being 5 to 6 floors can seem tall depending on exact architecture and visual presentation and this city at least has a ubiquitous amount of 5 to 6 floor buildings. The taller the building in this city, usually the more avant garde unique the architecture to kind of make it appear there is more taller buildings of that height.

Oh, why do you prefer an inland location compared to coastal?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,587,664 times
Reflections Of The City.
a short work by HiFi

An eloquent, pointed, and perfectly articulated interpretation of this city is that It Is Cliche Upon Cliche and I was waiting for the punchline. Are you by any chance a satirist?

I bet that women from Seinfeld who makes 'papy-ay mache' hats lives here.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 AM

28,247 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Gender ratio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or