U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,056,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
guess some people didn’t even read and remember certain standards that they did agree with.
I was responding to two different things. First your list, and second to existing urban planning standards. I missed the end line "...I posted', as they are pie in the sky recommendations, not current urban planning standards.

I think your standards are fine, but they are not current standards that cross any urban boundaries today.

Quote:
No, that is not contradictory. All of those standards and characteristics is realistic for real life implementation and practical actions in Urban Planning for Cities and Towns all over the world.

Yes, a simple bureaucracy system has to be established to determine and make use of all of those standards.
Sure, some HOAs might have those standards, and some cities have implemented similar things, but they don't cross any boundaries outside the limited area controlled by the groups proposing them. IE: the urban growth boundaries proposed by Portland OR to limit sprawl don't exist outside of Portland.

Your #4 of Investment to Cities/Towns of All Sizes and Not Just the Big Cities. is directly what I was responding to about additional needed bureaucracy. If your list isn't even going to be coherently implementable, then how am I supposed to respond to it as a listing?

Also I stand by my comment about corruption. When you are deciding if something subjective should be built or are bending the free market, the way to adjust that decision in your favor is prisioner's dilemma and game theory against the weakest member. That is inherent corruption built into that. The way to limit corruption is using rules-based only, and you can't codify subjective standards into hard rules or you will spend all your time in court ala you and ohiogirl.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,867,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So your Best Standards of Urban Planning is to be a Hypocrite?

3. Have the Economy Support all Types of Architecture/Urban Planning Projects and for some Stores/Businesses and not discouraging them.
Prevent Some Chain Stores from Being Built.

Relatively Simple Direct Management, a Lack of Too Much Bureaucracy Systems Getting in The Way.
Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.
vs.
The Best Architecture Being Created That Has Plenty of Character and Visually Pleasant. Most of the time Avoid Objectively ugly Architecture. Also Preserve Well any of the Best Architecture That Exists Already from the Past.
and
Good Zoning, Land Use, and Mixed Use Planning Laws Being Implemented at a Frequent Amount.
and
Bring a lot of Revitalization and Urban Renewal to bad Neighborhoods and For not so good/mediocre Neighborhoods.

Sounds more like you want very heavy handed, extensive bureaucracy.
Wow, another false misconception and just a vague scrambling of false interpretation?

There was nothing hypocritical about the 14 standards I said in the first post. I also said earlier I don't want more extensive bureaucracy. I prefer relatively simple direct management, a lack of bureaucracy systems getting in the way. Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.

Some people are not even able to come up with actual standards that is important for urban planning, so no more wasteful negativity.

I'm done with debating for this topic. I have high self esteem and confidence for the best standards I wrote earlier for Urban Planning. I already know college major in Architecture is good for me, and having talented aptitude in overall Urban Planning. I'm just 21 years old and college student age so very impressive I am even writing this at a relatively young age.

This was seen with more excessive judgment than someone's college transcript and career resume...

Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I think your standards are fine.
Thank you for that brief positive, optimistic, and respectful compliment in that sentence.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM

87,045 posts, read 102,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Wow, another false misconception and just a vague scrambling of false interpretation?

There was nothing hypocritical about the 14 standards I said in the first post. I also said earlier I don't want more extensive bureaucracy. I prefer relatively simple direct management, a lack of bureaucracy systems getting in the way. Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.

Some people are not even able to come up with actual standards that is important for urban planning, so no more wasteful negativity.

I'm done with debating for this topic. I have high self esteem and confidence for the best standards I wrote earlier for Urban Planning. I already know college major in Architecture is good for me, and having talented aptitude in overall Urban Planning. I'm just 21 years old and college student age so very impressive I am even writing this at a relatively young age.

This was seen with more excessive judgment than someone's college transcript and career resume...
You have a very high self esteem, that's correct!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM

32,431 posts, read 59,956,055 times
Quote:
“The simple purpose and worth of this topic was to first write a list of 14 high quality standards related to urban planning, for other people to say more standards in brief list format, and more positive optimism and not too much negative pessimism. After that, further explanation for each of those standards and characteristics.
Even the summary doesn't make sense.

Quote:
The standards of Urban Planning are both objective and subjective opinions simultaneously.”
There is no such thing as an objective opinion. Opinions are, by definition, subjective.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,590,906 times
Quote:
What are all of the other Specific Standards to be included that is also important? All of your Views for this.

Here is what I View To Be Most of The Best Standards for Urban Planning:

I am sure there is more than 14 standards, so I would like to see more specific standards/indicators/factors/qualities/categories/character traits being said. Also, what are your opinions for the Urban Planning standards I said up to now?
Generic policy goals.

[not really standards]

Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Even the summary doesn't make sense.

There is no such thing as an objective opinion. Opinions are, by definition, subjective.
Well, if the simple, easy to understand, brief, and well said summary doesn’t make sense to you, that’s your fault, sorry.

There is such a concept as objective universal opinions, and having a similar frequency of existing as subjective individual preference opinions.

Maybe you just have to read the summary again:

“The simple purpose and worth of this topic was to first write a list of 14 high quality standards related to urban planning, for other people to say more standards in brief list format, and more positive optimistic responses and not too much negative pessimism. After that, further explanation for each of those standards and characteristics in urban planning.

The standards of urban planning are both objective and subjective opinions simultaneously."

Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Generic policy goals.

[not really standards]
How can anyone possibly see this being generic when it is the complete opposite?

The topic and first post was very original, authentic, impressive, exciting, well organized, and intriguing. That also shows an accurate reality for what is essential in urban planning for cities/towns all over the world.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,591,870 times
How did you get to be this way thepast? Tone down the confidence a notch or two. Didn't a loved one ever give it to you straight when you were growing up, or were you always getting a gold star for nothing? lol You will never make it out in the world with that attitude.

Last edited by HiFi; 03-15-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM

32,431 posts, read 59,956,055 times
Quote:
Well, if the simple, easy to understand, brief, and well said summary doesn’t make sense to you, that’s your fault, sorry.
It's not my fault when words are misused to the point where multiple contradictions appear in each sentence.

This bears repeating:

Once that issue is solved, and some tense usage and awkward sentence construction is corrected, the document just may improve by leaps and bounds. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or