U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,848,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Your original post = awful writing. I haven't seen anything else you've written, but if it resembles that dreck, you're not a good writer. Sorry.

My post = an opinion most everyone else agrees with. I'm generally not mean for the sake of being mean.

Brief statements that are to the point = effective writing; there's nothing vague about it. I write a novel when a novel needs to saurjdjfjfjfus, you need to (1) be an avid reader; (2) take writing seminars (whether graded or non-graded) that habe written (in fact, I'm in the process of doing so as we speak). If you actually want to become a good writer, and no, I don't mean a long-winded, plagiarizing egotist who pats himself on the back for knowing how to use a thesaurus, you need to (1) be an avid reader; (2) take writing seminars (whether graded or non-graded) that have you practice a wide variety of styles and offer a workshop compone be good to create a bestseller (not to pick on Stephenie Meyer, I'm sure she's a nice person in real life), but there is a minimum threshold that must be exceeded if you want to create something that has t (tjfjffjedxhat's the most important part of all); (3) practice, practice, practice; and (4) be patient. Writing has been a p(not to pick on Stephenie Meyer, I'm sure she's a nice person in real life), but thevmvvijfjfmkre is a minimum threshold tassion of mine for the past six years, and I would say I've gotten to the point where I'm good--not amazing, not breathtaking, not the voice of a generation, or whatever ridiculous set of adjectives you use to describe yourself, but merely good. Of course, one doesn't even need to be good to create a bestseller (not to pick on Stephenie Meyer, I'm sure she's a nice person in real life), but there is a minimum threshold that must be exceeded if you want to create something that has the potential to both be potentially publishable and critically rin dhe process of doing so as we speak). If you actually want to become a good writer, and no, I don't mean a longespected. minimum threshold tassion of mine for the past six years, and I would say I've gotten to the point whe zzz aaa zzz
My Original Post= Perfect Exciting Writing. Most people that have knowledge in writing would agree with me. I also write better than you and I am a good writer for everything I write. I even won a writing contest before recently and a lot of people saying I am a talented writer.

Your post= Unbelievable rude personal attack for really no reason. Looks like you are just randomly appearing on this forum to write false, rude, wasteful posts and not contribute at all to the standards of the Urban Planning forum. Seriously, relax, and stay on topic. The original post was just a brief list of 14 high quality standards and I only had 20 minutes to write that.

You didn’t even read anything else I wrote and being so rude and nasty to someone you don’t even know...

Stop wasting our time and don’t be negative or go off topic! I don’t want to respond to such ridiculous hostile posts.

We have to stay on topic, and say positive respectful opinions!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I think the OP was specific enough, though his points are more like "goals" than actual "standards". This sort of topic is so big and broad that it doesn't lend itself to being drawn into the weeds, but the critical thing to remember is that a goal is the end you want to achieve, and the standard is the means you use to get there. For instance, the bit about pleasing aesthetics. I would argue there is a substantive difference between an urban planner who adopts pleasing aesthetics as a goal and one who does not (the "ends"). The actual standard would answer the question of what exactly constitutes pleasing aesthetics (the "means").

For instance, the urban planner who does not value aesthetics will work under some other goal when planning the look of his city (such as raw functionality). The urban planner who wants good aesthetics will need to set standards of what differentiates good aesthetics from bad aesthetics. Depending on the person, good aesthetics could mean Art Deco skyscrapers, modern glass boxes, concrete blocks, or even a spread-out low-density forest city.

As for the bureaucracy, I think what the OP is trying to get across is "simplicity" - how efficiently and simply it handles its task, rather than the size of its task. A good analogy would be the difference between having to submit a 50-page application that is reviewed by 6 agencies, and having to submit a 2-page application that is reviewed by 1 agency.
Thank you for being the voice of reason in this topic, and both of us were the minority in this topic.

Those are accurate excellent connections you wrote for some of the standards I said earlier.

I highlighted in bold my favorite parts of your post. Hopefully you start posting more in Great Debates and Urban Planning!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,883,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
My Original Post= Perfect Exciting Writing. Most people that have knowledge in writing would agree with me. I also write better than you and I am a good writer for everything I write. I even won a writing contest before recently and a lot of people saying I am a talented writer.
...he wrote, with off-kilter syntax and diction, and absolutely abhorrent grammar and punctuation. One might give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was a precocious sixth grader. But, in fact, Thepastpresentandfuture was a young man of 21.

Quote:
Your post= Unbelievable rude personal attack for really no reason. Looks like you are just randomly appearing on this forum to write false, rude, wasteful posts and not contribute at all to the standards of the Urban Planning forum. Seriously, relax, and stay on topic. The original post was just a brief list of 14 high quality standards and I only had 20 minutes to write that.
I post here every now and again. Your "original" post is an amalgamation of points advanced by others before you were even a zygote. Again, I wouldn't be so critical if you didn't insist on priding yourself on writing a bunch of plaigairized, poorly written crap.

Quote:
You didnít even read anything else I wrote and being so rude and nasty to someone you donít even know...
Send something else over to me via direct message. Why not start with the piece that supposedly won a contest? I promise to give you constructive criticism.

Quote:
Stop wasting our time and donít be negative or go off topic! I donít want to respond to such ridiculous hostile posts.
I think others will find this exchange entertaining.

But if you don't want to respond to "such ridiculous[,] hostile posts" (corrected for grammar), then don't.

Quote:
We have to stay on topic, and say positive respectful opinions!
Others tried that and failed, so now I'm here to save the day.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
...he wrote, with off-kilter syntax and diction, and absolutely abhorrent grammar and punctuation.
That is a sentence of wild, uncensored, fantasy and continuing unbelievable false accusations and lies for practically no reason.

Quote:
In fact, Thepastpresentandfuture was a young man of 21...
Öand doesnít want to respond to off topic personal attacks from complete strangers that donít know me, and being so overly strict, and pretentious for this topic. That reached a contradiction since so many of those posts was off topic.

Yeah, 21 years old is a relatively very young age in the grand scheme of life and existence. Sometimes I appear a lot older than my age.

Quote:
I post here every now and again.
Well, donít forget we are in the Urban Planning forum. You have to focus on actual Urban Planning related topics, and the characteristics and qualities to actual Urban Planning.

Quote:
Your "original" post is an amalgamation of points advanced by others before you were even a zygote. Again, I wouldn't be so critical if you didn't insist on priding yourself on writing so well.
I only insisted for priding myself on my excellent, impressive, sophisticated, well said writing because some people were insulting me for no reason and I had no other choice but to respond.

Quote:
Send something else over to me via direct message. Why not start with the piece that supposedly won a contest? I promise to give you constructive criticism.
No, I wonít at this time. I have a busy life for plenty of important life activities and donít have time for such a random, out of context email.

Instead, I am emailing 3 people that are friendly, never insulted me, having informative, respectful conversations that is relevant to our lives.

Quote:
I think others will find this exchange entertaining.
I am not sure if this was high quality entertainment and worth the time, but I am undecided. I just canít believe this topic went in this direction and so unprecedented, perplexing, and surprising.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Anyways, time to go back on topic for now on and being 100% consistent for that.

In this post, I am going to include my favorite standards that I wrote and that is 7 out of 14 total: Standards 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13:

2. Relatively Simple Direct Management, a Lack of Too Much Bureaucracy Systems Getting in The Way. Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.

3. Have the Economy Support all Types of Architecture/Urban Planning Projects and for some Stores/Businesses and not discouraging them.

4. Have a lot of Investment to Cities/Towns of All Sizes and Not Just the Big Cities.

6. The Best Architecture Being Created That Has Plenty of Character and Visually Pleasant. Most of the time avoid objectively ugly architecture. Also Preserve Well any of the Best Architecture That Exists Already from the Past.

7. Offer a Large Exciting Variety of Entertainment Options For the People That Live In Those Cities/Towns and That Includes High Quality Commercial Establishments Stores/Businesses and Cultural Events.

8. Find a Balance for Independent Stores vs. Chain Stores, and Maybe Prevent Some Chain Stores from Being Built.

12. Bring a lot of Revitalization and Urban Renewal to bad Neighborhoods and For not so good/mediocre Neighborhoods. Try to Have As Many High Quality, Healthy, Vibrant Neighborhoods As Possible.

13. Minimize Corruption In People’s Surroundings And Maximize Healthy, Positive, Refined, Almost Utopian Like Impressions to Society for Everything Urban Planning Can Promote.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,883,454 times
Quote:
That is a sentence of wild, uncensored, fantasy and continuing unbelievable false accusations and lies for practically no reason.
No, your sentence was riddled with grammatical and punctuational errors. Any elementary school language arts teacher could tell you that.

Quote:
…and doesn’t want to respond to off topic personal attacks from complete strangers that don’t know me, and being so overly strict, and pretentious for this topic. That reached a contradiction since so many of those posts was off topic.
Seriously, buy a grammar handbook.

Quote:
Yeah, 21 years old is a relatively very young age in the grand scheme of life and existence. Sometimes I appear a lot older than my age.
Prematurely balding?

Quote:
Well, don’t forget we are in the Urban Planning forum. You have to focus on actual Urban Planning related topics, and the characteristics and qualities to actual Urban Planning.
And I generally do. This is just too rich to pass up.

Quote:
I only insisted for priding myself on my excellent, impressive, sophisticated, well said writing because some people were insulting me for no reason and I had no other choice but to respond.
Are you on the Autism spectrum?

Quote:
No, I won’t at this time. I have a busy life for plenty of important life activities and don’t have time for such a random, out of context email.
Wouldn't it be, by definition, not only non-random, but completely in-context?

Quote:
Instead, I am emailing 3 people that are friendly, never insulted me, having informative, respectful conversations that is relevant to our lives.
Is this even English?

Quote:
I am not sure if this was high quality entertainment and worth the time, but I am undecided. I just can’t believe this topic went in this direction and so unprecedented, perplexing, and surprising.
Ha, you sound like Don Cornelius from In Living Color.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM

32,383 posts, read 59,846,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
A good analogy would be the difference between having to submit a 50-page application that is reviewed by 6 agencies, and having to submit a 2-page application that is reviewed by 1 agency.
In the OP's case, the two-page application would have to be followed up by 400 pages of annotations, definitions, footnotes, and explanations.

Quote:
2. Relatively Simple Direct Management
How simple is "relatively" simple? What would being "relatively simple" entail?

Quote:
Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.
Which obstacles would those be?

Quote:
3. Have the Economy Support all Types of Architecture/Urban Planning Projects and for some Stores/Businesses and not discouraging them.
Which stores and businesses are "some"?

Quote:
4. Have a lot of Investment to Cities/Towns of All Sizes and Not Just the Big Cities.
What is "a lot" and who's going to be doing this investment? What incentives will be put in place for investors?

Quote:
6. The Best Architecture Being Created That Has Plenty of Character and Visually Pleasant. Most of the time avoid objectively ugly architecture.
Again, someone is going to have to define "plenty of character", "visually pleasant" and "ugly".

(I omitted "objective" from this issue because something cannot be objectively ugly, seeing as ugly is a subjective term)

Quote:
Also Preserve Well any of the Best Architecture That Exists Already from the Past.
A little difficult to preserve architecture that exists from the future, "well" or otherwise, isn't it?

Quote:
7. Offer a Large Exciting Variety of Entertainment Options For the People That Live In Those Cities/Towns and That Includes High Quality Commercial Establishments Stores/Businesses and Cultural Events.
Who's going to offer these spectacular entertainment options? What will entice promoters to bring all these can't-miss cultural events to town?

Quote:
8. Find a Balance for Independent Stores vs. Chain Stores, and Maybe Prevent Some Chain Stores from Being Built.
Are you advocating that competition be stifled? Which chain stores? Who decides?

Quote:
12. Bring a lot of Revitalization and Urban Renewal to bad Neighborhoods and For not so good/mediocre Neighborhoods. Try to Have As Many High Quality, Healthy, Vibrant Neighborhoods As Possible.
One person's "bad" is another's "healthy, vibrant". Who decides?

Quote:
13. Minimize Corruption .
Those who lean toward corruption are going to have a field day with your plan.

Quote:
Maximize Healthy, Positive, Refined, Almost Utopian Like Impressions to Society for Everything Urban Planning Can Promote
John Denver sang that West Virginia was "almost heaven". Is this what you have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or