U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,874,680 times

Advertisements

What are all of the other Specific Standards to be included that is also important? All of your Views for this.

Here is what I View To Be Most of The Best Standards for Urban Planning:

1. Focus on Urban Design, Aesthetics and Pleasant Inviting Presentation.

2. Relatively Simple Direct Management, a Lack of Too Much Bureaucracy Systems Getting in The Way.
Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.

3. Have the Economy Support all Types of Architecture/Urban Planning Projects and for some Stores/Businesses and not discouraging them.

4. Have a lot of Investment to Cities/Towns of All Sizes and Not Just the Big Cities.

5. Good Zoning, Land Use, and Mixed Use Planning Laws Being Implemented at a Frequent Amount.

6. The Best Architecture Being Created That Has Plenty of Character and Visually Pleasant. Most of the time Avoid Objectively ugly Architecture. Also Preserve Well any of the Best Architecture That Exists Already from the Past.

7. Offer a Large Exciting Variety of Entertainment Options For the People That Live In Those Cities/Towns and That Includes High Quality Commercial Establishments Stores/Businesses and Cultural Events.

8. Find a Balance for Independent Stores vs. Chain Stores, and Maybe Prevent Some Chain Stores from Being Built.

9. Residential Development That Benefits The People That Are Going To Live There and Giving Them a Comfortable Relaxing Home For Initial Infrastructure/Design/Maintenance.

10. Encourage Some Forms of Evenly Distributed, Effective, User Friendly Public Transportation.

11. Schools, Healthcare, and Other Related Services Not Being Forgotten and Being Integrated in Some Neighborhoods.

12. Bring a lot of Revitalization and Urban Renewal to bad Neighborhoods and For not so good/mediocre Neighborhoods. Try to Have As Many High Quality, Healthy, Vibrant Neighborhoods As Possible.

13. Minimize Corruption In People’s Surroundings And Maximize Healthy, Positive, Refined, Almost Utopian Like Impressions to Society for Everything Urban Planning Can Promote.

14. Remember Relatively Well Most Standards That Have to be Integrated And Come Together for Successful Urban Planning All Over The World.

I am sure there is more than 14 standards, so I would like to see more specific standards/indicators/factors/qualities/categories/character traits being said. Also, what are your opinions for the Urban Planning standards I said up to now?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM

134 posts, read 162,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
11. Schools, Healthcare, and Other Related Services Not Being Forgotten and Being Integrated in Some Neighborhoods.
I would probably say that every neighborhood should have its own healthcare and education infrastructure, in an ideal world. Of course, if those neighborhoods don't have a high enough population density, that infrastructure could probably be shared amongst multiple neighborhoods. In my opinion, those kinds of services shouldn't be too centralized, or they risk being ineffective.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM

87,073 posts, read 102,800,958 times
You really have to define the terms such as "good", "bad", "ugly", etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
I would probably say that every neighborhood should have its own healthcare and education infrastructure, in an ideal world. Of course, if those neighborhoods don't have a high enough population density, that infrastructure could probably be shared amongst multiple neighborhoods. In my opinion, those kinds of services shouldn't be too centralized, or they risk being ineffective.
Well, there is so much more to urban planning than just designating education and healthcare infrastructure locations in a neighborhood. What are your opinions for the other 12+ various standards?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You really have to define the terms such as "good", "bad", "ugly", etc.
The eloquent, sophisticated, and perfect wording and use of speech barely even used those words you vaguely described, so I am not sure why there is an unnecessary emphasis on that. What I said was so specific and informative related to plenty of the best standards for urban planning.

However, I am open to interpretation, slightly change the exact organization for what I wrote there, and maybe there is some other essential standards to include that was not said yet.

I very briefly used those terms in standards 5, 6, and 12, but even over there I was obviously focusing on more intriguing parts related to the topic.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
The eloquent, sophisticated, and perfect wording and use of speech barely even used those words you vaguely described, so I am not sure why there is an unnecessary emphasis on that. What I said was so specific and informative related to plenty of the best standards for urban planning.

However, I am open to interpretation, slightly change the exact organization for what I wrote there, and maybe there is some other essential standards to include that was not said yet.

I very briefly used those terms in standards 5, 6, and 12, but even over there I was obviously focusing on more intriguing parts related to the topic.
Eloquent, sopohisticated, and perfect my eye! The bold below are all vague, and have different meanings to different people.

Quote:
What are all of the other Specific Standards to be included that is also important? All of your Views for this.

Here is what I View To Be Most of The Best Standards for Urban Planning:

1. Focus on Urban Design, Aesthetics and Pleasant Inviting Presentation.

2. Relatively Simple Direct Management, a Lack of Too Much Bureaucracy Systems Getting in The Way.
Minimizing those obstacles that can prevent progress.

3. Have the Economy Support all Types of Architecture/Urban Planning Projects and for some Stores/Businesses and not discouraging them.

4. Have a lot of Investment to Cities/Towns of All Sizes and Not Just the Big Cities.

5. Good Zoning, Land Use, and Mixed Use Planning Laws Being Implemented at a Frequent Amount.

6. The Best Architecture Being Created That Has Plenty of Character and Visually Pleasant. Most of the time Avoid Objectively ugly Architecture. Also Preserve Well any of the Best Architecture That Exists Already from the Past.

7. Offer a Large Exciting Variety of Entertainment Options For the People That Live In Those Cities/Towns and That Includes High Quality Commercial Establishments Stores/Businesses and Cultural Events.

8. Find a Balance for Independent Stores vs. Chain Stores, and Maybe Prevent Some Chain Stores from Being Built.

9. Residential Development That Benefits The People That Are Going To Live There and Giving Them a Comfortable Relaxing Home For Initial Infrastructure/Design/Maintenance.

10. Encourage Some Forms of Evenly Distributed, Effective, User Friendly Public Transportation.

12. Bring a lot of Revitalization and Urban Renewal to bad Neighborhoods and For not so good/mediocre Neighborhoods. Try to Have As Many High Quality, Healthy, Vibrant Neighborhoods As Possible.

13. Minimize Corruption In People’s Surroundings And Maximize Healthy, Positive, Refined, Almost Utopian Like Impressions to Society for Everything Urban Planning Can Promote.

*This gave me a laugh!*

14. Remember Relatively Well Most Standards That Have to be Integrated And Come Together for Successful Urban Planning All Over The World.

This is not in standard English or any other form of English I can understand.

I am sure there is more than 14 standards, so I would like to see more specific standards/indicators/factors/qualities/categories/character traits being said. Also, what are your opinions for the Urban Planning standards I said up to now?
Whoever wrote these standards needs a course in writing. One does Not generally Capitalize random Words in a Sentence.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Eloquent, sopohisticated, and perfect my eye! The bold below are all vague, and have different meanings to different people.

Whoever wrote these standards needs a course in writing. One does Not generally Capitalize random Words in a Sentence.
Yes, that was eloquent, sophisticated, and perfect writing related to a topic for Urban Planning. I didnít even need a course in writing because I already write so well about a lot of various important topics.

I intentionally capitalized those words in the original post because that was in list title format and that was obvious. Those standards for urban planning is very specific, informative, and important. There was nothing vague about it.

Why donít you just focus on everything you do agree with instead and not focus too much on anything negative?

You didnít spell correctly the word sophisticated in your recent post.

I bet you would agree on almost all of these standards in Urban Planning I said earlier.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, that was eloquent, sophisticated, and perfect writing related to a topic for Urban Planning. I didnít even need a course in writing because I already write so well about a lot of various important topics.

I intentionally capitalized those words in the original post because that was in list title format and that was obvious. Those standards for urban planning is very specific, informative, and important. There was nothing vague about it.

Why donít you just focus on everything you do agree with instead and not focus too much on anything negative?

You didnít spell correctly the word sophisticated in your recent post.

I bet you would agree on almost all of these standards in Urban Planning I said earlier.
I don't usually go around pointing out people's typographical errors. That stuff was so poorly written, however, it was difficult to read. And it is certainly not "eloquent, sophisticated, and perfect". It's not specific at all. What does "Pleasant" mean, for example? Relatively? Lack of Too(sic) Much"? What do Good, Frequent, Plenty of Character, Visually Pleasant, Objectively Ugly, etc mean? I'd like to see a definition for every one of the words in bold.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,060,088 times
Quote:
Relatively Simple Direct Management, a Lack of Too Much Bureaucracy Systems Getting in The Way.
Some of these are contradictory in the real world. No way you can have invoke terms about land use and beauty without creating addtional bureaucracy. If you want little bureaucracy, then you let people build what they want and let the market sort it out. Every level of additional rules creates additional bureaucracy.

Now you might mean that a single bureaucracy determines all these standards, which if you were trying to apply it to cities/suburbs/exurbs equally would have to be at the state level. And the enforcers of it would also be state level.

Oh, and asking the free market to create dwellings with high but poorly defined standards of beauty (the "I know it when I see it" rule) and picking winners and losers in commercial construction leads to massive corruption. If you want all this, you have to accept a relatively high level of corruption, higher than we currently have.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 AM

32,432 posts, read 59,986,890 times
Quote:
The eloquent, sophisticated, and perfect wording and use of speech barely even used those words you vaguely described
OK, then, define these words:

Pleasant
Relatively
Too Much
Healthy
Positive
Refined
Almost Utopian Like
High Quality
Vibrant
Not so good
Mediocre
Comfortable
Relaxing
Benefits
Large
Exciting
Variety
Visually Pleasant
Objectively ugly
Best
Frequent
A lot
Minimizing
A Lack of
Progress
Evenly Distributed
Effective
User Friendly
Balance
Some
Inviting
Character
Plenty
Lack
Successful

Quote:
Also, what are your opinions for the Urban Planning standards I said up to now?
Needs salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or