U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:54 PM

13,756 posts, read 9,871,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
"What if"
Nominal Fare = cost / ten riders (0.1 x cost)
Discount Fare = cost / forty riders (0.025 x cost)
Super Discount Fare = cost / eighty riders (0.0125 x cost)
If the nominal fare was $5, the first discount reduces it to $1.25.
The next discount reduces it to $0.63.

A computerized operation could easily credit one's balance when a trip passenger count goes up.

It would certainly change morale when a train stops to pick up more passengers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So you're going to encourage people to ride at peak times by charging less prices when the trains are full past the breaking point and you're employing "pushers" to shove the cattle in? Seems... silly. Charge more at peak times, not less. It's not like you save any money by shifting an elective trip at a non-peak time to a peak time. The non-peak train is still running, whether it has 7 people on it or 8. Actually, the opposite, you lose even more money since the peak-fare is lower than the off-peak.
Actually in some ways commuter rail does this. A monthly on the LIRR is cheaper than an off-peak ticket, when the monthly cost is divided by a typical number of trips. Almost everyone using a monthly takes the train during peak hours (with maybe a few times coming back from work late). The peak one-way ticket is extra as it competes with scarce seats from those using the train for regular commute hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
It would certainly change morale when a train stops to pick up more passengers.
Really? Definitely not if the train fills up during peak hours. It would be a good way to annoy LIRR passengers, though I suspect peak hour and direction LIRR usage is rather price inelastic, with limits.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM

14,092 posts, read 16,126,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Actually in some ways commuter rail does this. A monthly on the LIRR is cheaper than an off-peak ticket, when the monthly cost is divided by a typical number of trips. Almost everyone using a monthly takes the train during peak hours (with maybe a few times coming back from work late). The peak one-way ticket is extra as it competes with scarce seats from those using the train for regular commute hours.

Really? Definitely not if the train fills up during peak hours. It would be a good way to annoy LIRR passengers, though I suspect peak hour and direction LIRR usage is rather price inelastic, with limits.
That's a volume discount. But yeah, not generally a good idea if you're having peak capacity problems. BART never did do monthly passes (except inside San Francisco where one can buy a SF Muni pass that allows monthly rides).

And I suspect it would have an affect on morale. I know my morale definitely decreased when the train stopped to pick up more passengers. Glasses face smashed again glass, not comfortable. Although I'm pretty sure the poor Korean girl with her nose smashed into my armpit had it worse. There are definite advantages to being above average height.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 PM

17,455 posts, read 21,294,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
The bus ride in of itself is very rarely the problem. The problem is waiting for the darn bus in the cold/rain/heat/snow and they're not on time. Or running after the bus but the driver drives off. Or a car passes by you, and splashes you with rain or snow.
On my trips to Central America, I rode their enviable bus system many times, and so wish we had a similar system here, which would attract more people to ride the buses.

Yes, we're talking about the so-called "Chicken Buses", employing our old school buses. All privately run, competing with one another.

And what makes it so attractive to ride them? You don't need to be at a designated bus stop, just flag one down, need to stop somewhere, they stop, not a designated bus stop. Don't need to wait for someone to pay the bus driver, holding up the bus, there's fare collectors to do that.

And what makes it so fun to ride them? Vendors hopping on and off while riding them, trying to sell you anything from fried chicken to cold sandwiches, fruit, candy, vitamins, pirated DVD's/CD's, clothing items, you name it! They can be nothing more than roving shopping centers! Would they ever allow this on our light rail trains or city buses?

Yes, and let's go one step furthur, the transportation choice for those that can't afford the Chicken Buses: riding in the backs of pick-ups!

So why would they put in a sterile light rail system in Guatemala City, San Salvador or Tegucigalpas, Honduras where they had to be on designated stops to get on and off?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And what makes it so fun to ride them? Vendors hopping on and off while riding them, trying to sell you anything from fried chicken to cold sandwiches, fruit, candy, vitamins, pirated DVD's/CD's, clothing items, you name it! They can be nothing more than roving shopping centers! Would they ever allow this on our light rail trains or city buses?
Yikes. I've been on the NYC subway enough times to get annoyed at teens hawking cheap junk supposedly for fundraising. Leave me alone.

Food sounds almost like a good idea, but fried chicken sounds like a mess. I wouldn't trust vitamins from a vendor on public transportation. Pirated CD's/DVD's? It's hard to find any CD's/DVD's these days.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,136,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On my trips to Central America, I rode their enviable bus system many times, and so wish we had a similar system here, which would attract more people to ride the buses.

Yes, we're talking about the so-called "Chicken Buses", employing our old school buses. All privately run, competing with one another.

And what makes it so attractive to ride them? You don't need to be at a designated bus stop, just flag one down, need to stop somewhere, they stop, not a designated bus stop. Don't need to wait for someone to pay the bus driver, holding up the bus, there's fare collectors to do that.

Yes, and let's go one step furthur, the transportation choice for those that can't afford the Chicken Buses: riding in the backs of pick-ups!

So why would they put in a sterile light rail system in Guatemala City, San Salvador or Tegucigalpas, Honduras where they had to be on designated stops to get on and off?
I'd say 1/5 of the time I ride LA's rail-based PT there are vendors selling stuff. Not pushy at all though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning