U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,554,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The NW corridor is not light rail.
Correct, it was going to be heavy rail, using the Burlington-Northern tracks. It is a part of FasTracks, which is a rail project throughout the Denver metro.

I stand by what I said though. The project has become a boondoggle, will not be finished before 2044 if then.
FasTracks Home
RTD gets cool reaction to proposed rail to Westminster, buses to Longmont - The Denver Post
Northwest Rail woes amplified in meeting of Longmont, Louisville leaders - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Lightrail is different because whitey don't ride the bus. And I say that jokingly, but its also true. I'm sure some sociologist could come up with a reasons for this, I leave that to others. But if you want to get folks to give up cars and take public transit, buses aren't going to do the trick.
I saw tons of whiteys on the bus in Seattle. You actually generally get social points for riding the bus as opposed to driving in Seattle, except maybe at the very upper echelons of class. Buses in NYC are often what whiteys ride as well, depending on the location, whereas the subway is more transit for everyone. Get on a bus in the UES/UWS/Midtown/FD... white people everywhere and barely anything but. Get on the subway and it's more a mixture. Go to another neighborhood, like in Harlem, and whitey don't ride that bus. Partly, that's just because whitey don't live in Harlem. Also it's because whitey may not feel comfortable riding a bus through Harlem. Actually, that isn't even true anymore, it's 20 years out of date. Whitey does live in Harlem these days, but perceptions tend to lag reality. White don't ride the bus, for example. Might have been true 20 years ago in many places it's no longer true.

When Seattle's Light Rail started, it pretty much was yuppie transit for whitey to drive his car to. Less so these days, despite the surveillance and visible security, light rail is getting more like the notoriously rowdy Metro 7 route that parallels light rail. Burglaries are common place, so it's not the place whitey can pull out his BlackBerry or iPhone and email away without a care in the world. Also, with rising fares of Metro, the monthly pass to use it and Sound Transit (same monthly pass, different rate based on how much fare you want to cover) is basically the same. Since it doesn't cost any more than the bus, lower-income but functional/non-criminal types (more often not white) are using light rail more. The 358 is still the worst, and the "whitey don't ride that bus" which connects Federal Way to light rail RapidRide A is number 3. Not surprising. The 7, 358, and A all run through some of Seattle's worst neighborhoods.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,714,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I saw tons of whiteys on the bus in Seattle. You actually generally get social points for riding the bus as opposed to driving in Seattle, except maybe at the very upper echelons of class. Buses in NYC are often what whiteys ride as well, depending on the location, whereas the subway is more transit for everyone. Get on a bus in the UES/UWS/Midtown/FD... white people everywhere and barely anything but. Get on the subway and it's more a mixture. Go to another neighborhood, like in Harlem, and whitey don't ride that bus. Partly, that's just because whitey don't live in Harlem. Also it's because whitey may not feel comfortable riding a bus through Harlem. Actually, that isn't even true anymore, it's 20 years out of date. Whitey does live in Harlem these days, but perceptions tend to lag reality. White don't ride the bus, for example. Might have been true 20 years ago in many places it's no longer true.

When Seattle's Light Rail started, it pretty much was yuppie transit for whitey to drive his car to. Less so these days, despite the surveillance and visible security, light rail is getting more like the notoriously rowdy Metro 7 route that parallels light rail. Burglaries are common place, so it's not the place whitey can pull out his BlackBerry or iPhone and email away without a care in the world. Also, with rising fares of Metro, the monthly pass to use it and Sound Transit (same monthly pass, different rate based on how much fare you want to cover) is basically the same. Since it doesn't cost any more than the bus, lower-income but functional/non-criminal types (more often not white) are using light rail more. The 358 is still the worst, and the "whitey don't ride that bus" which connects Federal Way to light rail RapidRide A is number 3. Not surprising. The 7, 358, and A all run through some of Seattle's worst neighborhoods.
So first of all, why does it need to be repeated every. . .single. . time that the rules in NYC don't apply elsewhere. NYC is wholly unique. OK? Moving on.

In cities like Houston which are moving forward with lightrail, buses were tried for decade after decade and. . .whitey don't ride the bus. Turns out, whitey likes rail. Dunno why, but there it is. If you want transit in Houston to work, it has to be rail.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
So first of all, why does it need to be repeated every. . .single. . time that the rules in NYC don't apply elsewhere. NYC is wholly unique. OK? Moving on.
There are cities that are some patterns more in common with NYC and others that don't, it's not irrelevant it shows that yes, white people are capable of riding buses. Seattle was also given as an example. I don't think Boston has large racial difference in using bus vs trains. Neither does Portland, nor from what I can remember, San Francisco. Not in Canada, either, though it seems like your post was only about the US.

Quote:
In cities like Houston which are moving forward with lightrail, buses were tried for decade after decade and. . .whitey don't ride the bus. Turns out, whitey likes rail. Dunno why, but there it is. If you want transit in Houston to work, it has to be rail.
Houston is 31% non-hispanic white, that leaves... 69% of the population that's not white and is capable of taking the bus. That leaves plenty of people, why does transit need "whitey" then to work?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Turns out Whitey don't like the rail... which is why no one rides Houston's light rail. Actually, I'd be interesting in seeing the rider demographics of Houston's light rail.

edit: also Houston's transit usage has been dead flat since '97 (APTA study). So if these so-called white people are now riding the light rail, they're either supplanting non-whites who used to ride the bus and now walk or drive cars... or they used to ride the bus.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-17-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times
Quote:
Lightrail is different because whitey don't ride the bus. And I say that jokingly, but its also true. I'm sure some sociologist could come up with a reasons for this, I leave that to others. But if you want to get folks to give up cars and take public transit, buses aren't going to do the trick.
Maybe all the people having conversations about whose husband just got out of jail for which crime drives oversensitive little whitey away :-)

(I'm referring to SEPTA here; the bus my wife rode was generally not frequented by those of a high social class)

Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,105,724 times
Not overrated in the two cities I've lived in, LA and Boston. Other cities I agree it makes no sense. Beef up the bus service first (ala Rapid Buses in LA), when that is a proven success, then move onto LRT.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Turns out Whitey don't like the rail... which is why no one rides Houston's light rail. Actually, I'd be interesting in seeing the rider demographics of Houston's light rail.
Houston's light rail does well. Houston's light rail has the 2nd highest ridership per mile of any light rail in the country:

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, it's a short thing covered areas adjacent to downtown so not that surprising but still not bad for what was constructed.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
edit: also Houston's transit usage has been dead flat since '97 (APTA study). So if these so-called white people are now riding the light rail, they're either supplanting non-whites who used to ride the bus and now walk or drive cars... or they used to ride the bus.
No Houston, but here's for some other cities:

https://www.cbsoutdoor.com/tools/res...ographics.aspx

hmm... study claims Nassau County's buses don't have a single Asian rider.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,633,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's faster and more reliable for longer distances than bus...
I don't know about that. I've seen small fender benders not involving trains and police activity adjacent to light rail lines cause major service disruptions. Had it been a bus, the bus would have just driven round, but trains are stuck.

But aside from that, light rail does run more consistently more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning