U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,003,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Right.
So it seems like the "reason" to build it was : The jobs created during its construction, since "someone else is paying for it."
What a great iconic example of what NOT to do.
It was also around a time where Detroit could still raise several million to spend on an experimental project. Money might be a bit tighter now, but there are still 700,000 people in the city and even more in the Metro, so who knows what the future holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I was under the impression that Boston had both light rail and subway. I was wondering if anyone actually used the Cleveland system or not.
It has both. Boston's light rail has slightly more miles than Cleveland's (22 vs 18) but 15-20 times more riders. It may be slower, but a lot more people find it worthwhile to use. Area is more congested, so it passes through more people.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 872,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The only thing light rail has going for it is, that people like trains. They don't like busses.
I like buses - provided they are frequent and convenient.
I especially like "handy" buses like this:

BTW, you have to take into consideration the "time waiting for a bus" as part of the transit time

Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
It was also around a time where Detroit could still raise several million to spend on an experimental project. Money might be a bit tighter now, but there are still 700,000 people in the city and even more in the Metro, so who knows what the future holds.
They need to get away from that old business plan:
"Let's see how much money we can get from the Feds",
and instead pull themselves up by their bootstraps

I was born in Detroit, and my parents still live in a suburb of the city, and I would be thrilled to see it make a comeback

Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,003,363 times
Quote:

I was born in Detroit, and my parents still live in a suburb of the city, and I would be thrilled to see it make a comeback
We're talking about liberal, union ran, economically segregated, racially segregated town. Don't lose any sleep here over the ramifications of the obvious.

Although I do think that Detroit has the possibility to be a leader and show the rest of the region you don't have to be a Chicago, Columbus, or Indianapolis to be creative, forward thinking, and innovative.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM

797 posts, read 1,127,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Houston's light rail does well. Houston's light rail has the 2nd highest ridership per mile of any light rail in the country:

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, it's a short thing covered areas adjacent to downtown so not that surprising but still not bad for what was constructed.
Thanks for the link.

What is interesting is the light rail in Minneapolis ranks 15th in daily riders but is 4th in riders per mile .

Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times
Quote:

The current light rail project is projected to cost something like $135 million dollars. It's primarily funded by private and non-profit organizations with the federal government only covering $25 million dollars of the cost.

Is that far enough away from the old business plan?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM

8,728 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOL B-Line?

The B-Line is god-awful, I agree. Way too many stops and no signal priority or preemption. Took about an hour to get to Park St.

C and D lines are great though. I lived at the intersection of the 3 branches so had my choice of lines to take into downtown. Hence my LRT experience in Boston was significantly more positive than yours seems to be.
Yes, I live around Cleveland Circle. I can really take B, C, or D. C and D are better, but far from good. Chronically overcrowded, stop for no reason. Subject to idiot drivers. Still unpleasant. And still takes too long, though better than B.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM

8,728 posts, read 7,682,608 times
Quote:
I was under the impression that Boston had both light rail and subway. I was wondering if anyone actually used the Cleveland system or not.
Yes Boston has both. But not every area has a subway. Of course people use Cleveland's system. It didn't go anywhere...

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The current light rail project is projected to cost something like $135 million dollars. It's primarily funded by private and non-profit organizations with the federal government only covering $25 million dollars of the cost.

Is that far enough away from the old business plan?
That sounds like a big improvement, especially if the non-government involvement can "keep it real"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning