U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 PM

8,721 posts, read 7,673,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It has both. Boston's light rail has slightly more miles than Cleveland's (22 vs 18) but 15-20 times more riders. It may be slower, but a lot more people find it worthwhile to use. Area is more congested, so it passes through more people.
I do not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
I agree the Green Line seems needlessly slow. There are probably some easy ways to improve it. I know Brookline as for the MBTA to add signal priority, but the MBTA claimed it cost too much.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I do not!
I think the difference is:

1. More people want to go to Downtown Boston, or some of the areas along the way
2. Higher population density, far more people live in walking distance to a light rail stop
3. Parking downtown is inconvenient and expensive. And sometimes outside of downtown, too.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM

I like this image of light rail tracks in Nantes:

File:Flickr - IngolfBLN - Nantes - Tramway - Ligne 3 - Orvault (17).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I like buses - provided they are frequent and convenient.
I especially like "handy" buses like this:

BTW, you have to take into consideration the "time waiting for a bus" as part of the transit time
Frequent and convenient is a big one for me. Bus or train, if I'm going to ride it, the service has to be at least every 10 min. or better. Preferable in the 2 - 5 min. range. If I can just walk to the stop without schedule and the bus just shows up right then, I'm happy. For me thats as closes to the convenience of driving as it can get.

A bus route I used to ride back in the 1970s ran every 10 min. and the service worked pretty well for me. Then in the early 1980s they started using larger articulated busses on the route. I was happy, bigger busses, less crowded. Then they started cutting the service. First to 12 min., then 15 min, then the busses were just a crowed as the smaller busses had been. That was a deal breaker for me. I bought a car and haven't been transit dependent since.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Thats the way it should be done. I really hate open trench light rail tracks.

BTW St. Charles in New Orleans looks like that.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
You'll find me lashing against the monkey-see-monkey-do, sheep mentality in this country, but when it comes to light rail monkey-seeing, monkey-doing around this country, at this time, I say Bravo to the sheep!

It will be interesting to see the resulting competitions:

Dallas: We have the most light rail lines of any city in the country!
Houston: Not for long! We're planning 50 more miles of light rail than you have!
L.A.: You ain't seen nothin' yet! We're planning light rail lines to the edge of San Diego County and another line clear up to Barstow, and yet another line to Palm Springs! Try and beat that one!

Over-rated? Maybe so, but it's the best over-rated trend to sweep this country in a long, long, long, long time!

Better than: Our city has the largest, longest freeway system than your city!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 872,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You'll find me lashing against the monkey-see-monkey-do, sheep mentality in this country, but when it comes to light rail monkey-seeing, monkey-doing around this country, at this time, I say Bravo to the sheep!

It will be interesting to see the resulting competition...
Over-rated? Maybe so, but it's the best over-rated trend to sweep this country in a long, long, long, long time!
Some of these will fail... since they do not have the right density.

Light rail doesn't work when it goes from nowhere to nowhere, with mostly nowhere in between

Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,105,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

It will be interesting to see the resulting competitions:

Dallas: We have the most light rail lines of any city in the country!
Houston: Not for long! We're planning 50 more miles of light rail than you have!
L.A.: You ain't seen nothin' yet! We're planning light rail lines to the edge of San Diego County and another line clear up to Barstow, and yet another line to Palm Springs! Try and beat that one!

Better than: Our city has the largest, longest freeway system than your city!
I'm not sure what those LA projects are. They sound like commuter rail projects, which are different from LRT.

Only LRT planned for the near future or under construction in LA is the Expo Line Phase II, Gold Line Foothill Extension, Crenshaw Line, and Regional Connector. In a few years LA will porbably have the most daily LRT riders in the country (currently #2). Will be interesting if the Green Line extension in Boston will be enough to put it back to #1.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,634,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In Los Angeles:
17.9% of the LRT riders are non-Hispanic white vs. 37.1% of the population being non-Hispanic white. (without the Expo Line, doubt it changed a whole lot).
20.6% of the bus riders are non-Hispanic white vs. 37.1% of the population being non-Hispanic white.

Interesting, whitey prefers the bus over LRT in LA.
Only because until now the light rail lines have been built almost exclusively in non-white areas. White ridership will get a big boost when expo opens to Santa Monica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning