U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There was tension in the USSR between a group called deurbanists and a group called urbanists in terms of planning. It was the deurbanists that Le Corbusier was mocking (though many modern treatments miss that!).
Interesting. I haven't followed Soviet urban planning history much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:14 PM

14,068 posts, read 16,085,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, with bicycles, you can see others biking and a bicyclist can stop easily. It's not as good for street life as pedestrians, but I can more easily stop and say hi to some I know to a pedestrian on the street or a pedestrian as a bicyclist. And in a neighborhood full of bicyclists, you can see the people going by much more so than with cars, it feels friendlier to me. Though Nathan Lewis argued that bicycles are anti-urban, though he's an extremist as well as a writer for economiccollapsenut.com. But in a truly busy pedestrian area, there isn't really space if everyone bicycled. A Segway would be similar, but the image of a neighborhood full of Segways is distressing. Bicycles and Segway don't have the space issues that cars do (wide roads, parking, etc.) Though bike parking spaces add up eventually. Still not that much:

That's what I meant, though a normal person could afford a Segway it's cheap a terrible deal. Didn't realize they were that expensive. Here in the summer, you can sweat from biking at 12 mph without it being obnoxiously hot, humidity makes big difference, which I don't realize is there until start biking and sweat. Shade, sun angle and clothing makes a big difference, I managed to bike in somewhat humid high 90s weather in shade in the evening without a shirt without being too bothered but I obviously got sweaty. I paid $850 on my bicycle and then added more to it, though I knew cheaper goods were available I wanted to spend more money on a bicycle for various reasons, since a bicycle means more to me than just budget transportation.
I've never been on a Segway, so I can't really speak to how maneuverable they are or aren't. Bicycles usually get, for good reason, banished to the road. They work fine in urban environments, just not on sidewalks or pedestrian only areas.
2nd part of Visiting Copenhagen (2). A page for those who are visiting Copenhagen or who plan to visit Copenhagen.

Not really an area suited for riding your bicycle, although the guy in the background is. As long as you do it sanely, it's not a huge deal, but probably a better idea to get off and walk it if you don't have good balance. I'll admit, I just ride through areas like that, but it's annoyingly slow. The bigger problem is when there's sporadic pedestrians. I've hit pedestrians several times who either suddenly change direction or pop out from a sidewalk behind a car right in front of me.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 PM

735 posts, read 451,182 times
Besides the fact that segways look so incredibly stupid.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM

998 posts, read 1,041,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
because the ceo drove him self off a cliff with one? danger anyone?
That is a huge problem. They are inherently dangerous. 3 wheelers were not even that dangerous & the government baned them. The awkward segway was doomed one way or the other. A moped is much safer & cheaper.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,782,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The Segway and related products have the potential to make a car-free environment a reality for more people by bridging mass transit gaps between the home and one's final destination. Why didn't New Urbanists embrace this and similar technologies?
Probably because you can walk faster than a Segway moves.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 PM

The DTV Shredder is way better for less money.

DTV Shredder

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM

They are Dangerous & one has even killed their CEO!

segway crashes

Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 AM

1,329 posts, read 873,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Dean Kamen had a vision for a clean vehicle designed to work within the constraints of existing infrastructure. He envisioned people leaving their home on their Segway, rolling onto a bus or train and then continuing on to the office. It was designed to go through a standard doorway and to be used on a sidewalk.
Legs do all that, and cost much less.
What's wrong with walking?

For many of our present challenges: I Don't Think that TECHNOLOGY is the answer.
Sometimes it is the problem.
We need to look inside ourselves, and think about how we can live better, by living more simply.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-24-2013 at 12:33 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,443,906 times
The range is too low---only 6 to 12 miles on a charge. That gets you about nowhere and back in spread-out California, which should have been a major market.

This is like the "California problem" for all other pure electric vehicles, except the Tesla.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,882,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
They are Dangerous & one has even killed their CEO!

segway crashes
Can you imagine the sidewalks filled with these things crashing into each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning