U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,662,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or an electric car. I was next to a Tesla Roadster last Friday for a good 20 minutes. Consider I used about 10 times as much gas idling as moving in that time, the Tesla seemed a particularly good idea as it just shuts off when it stops.
You need a driver's license to operate an electric car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,432,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
You need a driver's license to operate an electric car.
And your point is what?

How does anyone not have a drivers license?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,662,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And your point is what?
You don't need a license to use a Segway in most states, and I don't think you need a license for an electric bike. (but now that I think about it, maybe it's considered a motorcycle, which would require a license?)

Quote:
How does anyone not have a drivers license?
Maybe they never had one? Maybe they have a disability that prevents them from getting one? Maybe they were stupid, and lost it for DUI? Assuming everyone drives is what got the US into the auto-dependent mess we're in, in the first place.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
You don't need a license to use a Segway in most states, and I don't think you need a license for an electric bike. (but now that I think about it, maybe it's considered a motorcycle, which would require a license?)

Maybe they never had one? Maybe they have a disability that prevents them from getting one? Maybe they were stupid, and lost it for DUI? Assuming everyone drives is what got the US into the auto-dependent mess we're in, in the first place.
Assuming you don't have a disability that keeps you from driving (and let's face it, if you did, then you probably wouldn't be able to ride a segway or bike), it is pretty insane to not have a drivers license. Why would a person willingly prevent themselves from being able to if nothing else, rent a car in an emergency?

I live in a city, I could easily live without a car, but you would have to pay me quite a bit to give up my car. Cars have dramatically improved the quality of live for just about everyone. Being auto-dependent is the exact opposite of a 'mess'.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
Assuming you don't have a disability that keeps you from driving
You know what happens when you assume...

Quote:
and let's face it, if you did, then you probably wouldn't be able to ride a segway or bike
Not necessarily, I know someone who rides his bike places but cannot legally drive due to vision problems. You don't need to see as far in general with a bicycle.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Not necessarily, I know someone who rides his bike places but cannot legally drive due to vision problems. You don't need to see as far in general with a bicycle.
The number of people with disabilities so severe that they cannot legally drive is well under 1%. Are you seriously suggesting that we should give serious consideration to change how everyone lives based on such a small outlier?

I am very much in favor of promoting urban living, and I always expect to live in a city. I still don't understand why people are so vehemently against cars. I still don't understand what being car-dependent is seen as a negative thing. Not having a car is unbelievably restrictive, and really limits what a person can do.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
The number of people with disabilities so severe that they cannot legally drive is well under 1%. Are you seriously suggesting that we should give serious consideration to change how everyone lives based on such a small outlier?
I didn't say anything either way, just that you were making an assumption.

Quote:
I am very much in favor of promoting urban living, and I always expect to live in a city. I still don't understand why people are so vehemently against cars. I still don't understand what being car-dependent is seen as a negative thing. Not having a car is unbelievably restrictive, and really limits what a person can do.
I own a car, though I didn't find not owning one unbelievably restrictive. Personally, I like to be able to walk around / bike around where I live, rather than have to drive everywhere. Not having a car is unbelievably restrictive when you're in car dependent place.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM

3,481 posts, read 5,150,400 times
Quote:

Hi nei,

I see you are from western MA. Are you aware that MCLA in North Adams has a Green Living seminar series every Thursday night? Last night they had Steve Mouzon, author of "The Original Green," speaking about practical sustainability. It was fantastic. MCLA's vision is a true gem.

The central theme that Mouzon conveyed was that practical traditional ideas often trumps urban planner's grand plans and in reality end up working against their goal. Dean Kamen, a genius, experienced this with the Segway. He failed to forsee that what Mouzon calls "Gizmo Green" is only a small part of sustainability. These components are ancillary and not transformative.

Western MA truly has many interesting places that have great layouts for an urban-living renaissance.

Lincolnian

Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,684,615 times
I simply think it was a better idea in theory. Then the movie Wall-E came out and everyone saw the direction we're heading in. Lazy, obese people with everything mechanical assisting us.

Stick to the bike if you need a way to get around, if that doesn't work, I suppose there is a Jazzy for you.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I didn't say anything either way, just that you were making an assumption.

I own a car, though I didn't find not owning one unbelievably restrictive. Personally, I like to be able to walk around / bike around where I live, rather than have to drive everywhere. Not having a car is unbelievably restrictive when you're in car dependent place.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree completely in that I also like to be able to walk/bike if I want to, however I have a hard time understanding why some people treat being auto-dependent as a bad thing. When reading this forum, I often get the feeling that some people view cars as some sort of 'evil', and I always have a hard time understanding why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning