Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times

Advertisements

because the ceo drove him self off a cliff with one? danger anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
LOL @ Segway designed for a future of suburbs. I'm a bit of a scooter hound, and the 50 cc ones you can't even use in the 'burbs. I can just see the average Joe 'Burb commuting to work on his Segway... that'd only take over an hour each way.
Segways are only useful in suburban forms. Urban transects are too dense. Rural transects too spread out.

The Segway was and can only be a suburban mode of transportation.

In otherwords, it was a retrograde, backwards vision of the future at a time when the cities were being rediscovered as the very best places to live, work and play in.

Kamen, smart guy, interesting product, dead wrong about urban development

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Segways are only useful in suburban forms. Urban transects are too dense. Rural transects too spread out.

The Segway was and can only be a suburban mode of transportation.

In otherwords, it was a retrograde, backwards vision of the future at a time when the cities were being rediscovered as the very best places to live, work and play in.

Kamen, smart guy, interesting product, dead wrong about urban development
I've seen Segways in the cities, so obviously you're wrong and they can be used there. I've seen in 'em the suburbs as well, doesn't mean they're anymore useful here than in the cities.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I've seen Segways in the cities, so obviously you're wrong and they can be used there. I've seen in 'em the suburbs as well, doesn't mean they're anymore useful here than in the cities.
One or two on a city sidewalk is an annoyance.

Thousands is a complete train wreck.

Will never happen, impossible in the urban form.

Segways are designed and built for a jetsons future. It is a futurist vision of based in Le Corbusier model of cities - a vision that thankfully has been roundly rejected after a 50 year failed experiment.

In short, Segways have been shunned by urbanist because they are not urban.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM

So Segways were simultaneously designed for "Le Corbusier" model of cities, cannot work in cities, and were designed for suburbs, and built by for a jetson future that everyone knew didn't exist rather than a commercially viable product... uh, right.

Oh, and by the way, Le Corbusier hated the sprawling suburbs you seem to think the Segway was built for and was an adamant urbanist. But carry on, it is amusing.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Getting back to my original topic, the Segway, one of Kamen's goals was to use technology to extend the range of what would be considered a reasonable walk. By increasing the speed traveled, in theory it tripled the distance one could cover in the same amount of time. Ideally this would reduce the need for a car. However, factors such as social interaction, enjoyment of the walk, as well as the cost of the product, evidently were not given enough consideration.
"tripled the distance one could cover in the same amount of time"

Bicycles do that at a lower expense.
With the added benefit that they are easier to "park" with less risk.

The whole idea is delusional nonsense... only someone surrounded by a suburban wasteland would even consider it.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
So Segways were simultaneously designed for "Le Corbusier" model of cities, cannot work in cities, and were designed for suburbs, and built by for a jetson future that everyone knew didn't exist rather than a commercially viable product... uh, right.

Oh, and by the way, Le Corbusier hated the sprawling suburbs you seem to think the Segway was built for and was an adamant urbanist. But carry on, it is amusing.
Le Corbisier model of cities is extremely suburban. I could site you book after book discussing this. Carry on

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM

This is perhaps true, but I am talking about Le Corbusier and not some model named after a fellow named Le Corbisier. If you can cite me original source material by Le Corbusier that says about how much of a fan of sprawling suburbs he is, I'd be interested.

To me, Hong Kong perhaps best epitomizes contemporary Le Corbusier towers in the park development. Segway on Hong Kong sidewalks o_O
For towers in the park in the US, check out this post here on city data:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22577065-post11.html
Apparently Stuy Town is 100,000+ per square mile. Quite dense as far as I'm concerned, certainly not much denser in the US than Manhattan. But I guess that's the suburbs you are thinking of that the Segway was designed for?

Last edited by Malloric; 02-22-2013 at 08:45 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
LOL @ Segway designed for a future of suburbs. I'm a bit of a scooter hound, and the 50 cc ones you can't even use in the 'burbs. I can just see the average Joe 'Burb commuting to work on his Segway... that'd only take over an hour each way.
It is for a visit to the neighborhood McDonalds (instead of walking or cycling),
not commuting to work

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
To me, Hong Kong perhaps best epitomizes contemporary Le Corbusier towers in the park development. Segway on Hong Kong sidewalks o_O
For towers in the park in the US, check out this post here on city data:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22577065-post11.html
Apparently Stuy Town is 100,000+ per square mile. Quite dense as far as I'm concerned, certainly not much denser in the US than Manhattan. But I guess that's the suburbs you are thinking of that the Segway was designed for?
You won't find any Segways on HK sidewalks, there's not enough space,
and the other pedestrians would block your way.

Have you missed the fact that HK is very well designed as a place for generating and keeping wealth, while wealth is hemorrhaging out of suburban America at an alarming rate?

Anyway - perhaps the Segway is design for nothing except browsing the shelves of a gigantic Walmarts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning