U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM

87,086 posts, read 102,844,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Woa! You just posted about how the city is more white than the suburbs there, I was just rebutting whether that applies to the schools. Calm down
Where? Provide the exact quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM

87,086 posts, read 102,844,640 times
^^If you want something done, do it yourself, eh? I found the post I believe you are referring to. I "just" posted it, four years and 3 months ago! I can see why you, semiurbanite, did not quote it. It was a response to another post, and as you can see, what I said is not what you said I said! (Whew!)

BTW, someone in my hood is mowing their lawn right now. The horrors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
That really depends on what city you live in though. I know that in Houston, many of the suburbs are actually more diverse than the central urban areas. There are a lot of black, hispanic, and white people who live in central Houston, but they often live in very segregated neighborhoods. Many high schools down here are 90+% black or hispanic. Living in the city does not always mean you will be exposed to multiple cultures, and living in the suburbs does not always mean everybody is going to be white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There are suburbs of Denver that are more diverse than Denver as well. This will continue as Denver "gentrifies" and all the young, white hipsters displace the blacks and hispanics.

A few days ago I was reading some article, I believe on the Huffpo that gave HS graduation rates for cities and their burbs. Of course, I can't find it tonight. However, take a look at this, high school graduation rates of the 50 biggest school districts.

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates

12 of the 14 districts below 50% are in cities; all 9 of the districts above 75% are in suburbs.

Here's an article about the urban-suburban disparity.
Large Urban-Suburban Gap Seen in Graduation Rates - The New York Times

Do note that in the first link, Denver has a 46.8% rate, while suburban Jefferson County (not a particularly "elite" county, either) has a 77% rate.

Note this:
City: 60.9%
Town: 71.7%
Rural: 74.0%
Suburb: 75.3%
http://www.edweek.org/media/cities_in_crisis_2009.pdf
I will say, Denver is not like some of these eastern and midwestern cities where there are few minorities outside of the city. Jefferson County Colorado, referenced above, is 100% suburban. Here are its racial demographics:
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...45216/08059,00
White Non-Hispanic, 78.5%
Hispanic, 15.3%
Asian, 3%
Black, 1.3%
Native American, 1.2%
All others under 1%

Adams County is suburban and rural https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...08001,08059,00
White Non-Hispanic, 51.4%
Hispanic, 39.2%
Asian, 4.2%
Native American, 2.2%

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,881,070 times
There are abundant amount of houses literally right within these urban boundaries. Even affordable materialistic treats of this kind. Stores are superior without doubt for everyday living. Neighborhoods are usually better served with Architecture. Vibrant fun is easier to arrive. Your own children arenít servants to only cars. Hence, they allow themselves to take bus, subway, train, or any other viable flow of moving around. Negative stigmas decades ago are past tribulations forever gone to erase away from mind. Families are able to focus on exciting major cities, and arenít forcing themselves among mediocre suburban jokes simply not offering enough real resources. Thus, avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or