U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,551,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Plenty of fancy churches in New England. In a small rural village:
Very nice pictures
One thing that struck me in my time in Vermont --- Every town had a few churches. My "town" might have been 1000 people, but we had three churches. The Pastor of the Unitarian one introduced himself to us while we where unloading the truck . . . Strangely, New England ranks high in non-religious statistics today, but centuries ago, it was settled by people who rejected new, Jefferson era, science based, america.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Exceptionally important to me.
Why do you call yourself Dayton Sux ? Dayton has some stuff that fits nicely with the topic of this thread? I think Ohio has some really cool places that are overlooked by everyone. An argument that will keep Leave it to Beaver fans terminally arguing is what town in Ohio is being portrayed even though it was filmed on the less desirable coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM

4,897 posts, read 7,670,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Very nice pictures
One thing that struck me in my time in Vermont --- Every town had a few churches. My "town" might have been 1000 people, but we had three churches. The Pastor of the Unitarian one introduced himself to us while we where unloading the truck . . . Strangely, New England ranks high in non-religious statistics today, but centuries ago, it was settled by people who rejected new, Jefferson era, science based, america.

Why do you call yourself Dayton Sux ? Dayton has some stuff that fits nicely with the topic of this thread? I think Ohio has some really cool places that are overlooked by everyone. An argument that will keep Leave it to Beaver fans terminally arguing is what town in Ohio is being portrayed even though it was filmed on the less desirable coast
I can't speak for Dayton Sux, becasue he or she might have other reasons. But one thing I don't like about Youngstown is their (the community and city officials) gung-ho attitude toward demolition. From what I've read, Dayton has the same issue. Basically, city leaders won't stop "improving" your historic, urban neighborhood until it's gone.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,551,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I can't speak for Dayton Sux, becasue he or she might have other reasons. But one thing I don't like about Youngstown is their (the community and city officials) gung-ho attitude toward demolition. From what I've read, Dayton has the same issue. Basically, city leaders won't stop "improving" your historic, urban neighborhood until it's gone.
OK, thank you x2

We are going through the same thing here in Louisville.
I just dont get it. With sooooooooooo much information available in this age, how can our wise and venerable overseer's not be able to look at destination cities in the USA and not agree that historic architecture is a compelling factor for people to spend lots of discretionary income on to visit
If I want nu-gen architecture I will book a cleaning at my dentists office and soak up all the ambience that cheap drywall and plastic flowers might provide

Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,004,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Ugh... that sounds horrible.

I'm from Atlanta originally. It is horrible.
(There are exceptions...but suburban Atlanta is a hell on earth.)

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM

678 posts, read 713,455 times
Jeez, just walked a few hours in Charleston, SC. Talk about a gem! That is a city that can teach many areas of the country how to do city right! So much history, so many jewels. Every street that came into view made me oooh and aaah. Walkable. So many people on bicycles. This is a city that makes you want to leave the car behind! Fantastic.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,118,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
Jeez, just walked a few hours in Charleston, SC. Talk about a gem! That is a city that can teach many areas of the country how to do city right! So much history, so many jewels. Every street that came into view made me oooh and aaah. Walkable. So many people on bicycles. This is a city that makes you want to leave the car behind! Fantastic.
It often helps greatly to have been built before cars.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM

678 posts, read 713,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It often helps greatly to have been built before cars.
Yes, of course. But it didn't mean that it all had to become into what it has become - whatever that might be...certainly something lacking the charm of Charleston and many similar cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or