Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times

Advertisements

Almost at the top of my list.
For me personally, it is a gauge of some important things that might not be associated with architecture or preservation, otherwise. The places I've visited/lived --like South Florida for instance -- that are indistinguishable dentist office utilitarian, are always the most painful to spend time in and I have nothing in common with the general populace. When you have people who care about that stuff en masse, you will always have a more vibrant arts and culture scene and a more free-thinking, friendly population. It affects everything positively. Im sure others might not agree, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
its important to me but it doesn't necessarily have to be old and historical. it can be new and modern but built in the traditional style. in cities where the historical architecture has not been preserved or never existed, that's where new urbanism, also known as traditional neighborhood design, could or should be introduced. if it exists then you want to preserve it but if not then there's a great opportunity to create something new and amazing, using traditional architectural and traditional urban forms as your template. and that's the key.

the historical cities of europe have stood for centuries. the ultimate test is the test of time...and they passed with flying colors. you want to build something that's going to last through the ages and people will still be marveling at long after you are dead, not a bunch of crappy strip malls that will crumble to pieces in 30 to 40 years time and people will be celebrating its demise because they couldn't stand the sight of it and they'll be cursing you as the idiot who built it. traditional architecture is timeless. it has endured through the ages because it simply works well, which is the very definition of sustainability. why reinvent the wheel?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Extremely important. I find most modern architecture has none of the artfulness and charm of more historical buildings. Or perhaps I just think older architecture is more artful and charming. So it may be a matter of taste. I think modern architecture could be just as beautiful as the older stuff, but modern developers don't want to put the time and money into their buildings, and when they do it has to be a "statement." You know, ego architecture from architects like Frank Ghery.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I like fabric. I like to go to fabric stores. Didn't we talk about that one time?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Historical architecture and intact (at least relatively so) urban fabric are very important to me. For example, I'm much less interested in an old house that used to be in a neighborhood, but is now surrounded by empty lots and parking lots.

IMO, modern structures built in a traditional style are only preferable to modern sprawl. They still lack the character only age can provide.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I went to see Steve Muozon, author of "The Original Green," speak last night about sustainability. It was a fantastic and enlightening presentation that focused on what key elements are needed for a sustainable community. He also explained how traditional layouts were more effective in meeting the needs of citizens than new more elaborate plans that in reality often end up working against their goals. Mouzon's beliefs for sustainability are based on eight key foundations: nourishable, accessible, serviceable, securable, lovable, durable, flexible, and frugal.

Foundations | the Original Green | Steve Mouzon

Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
I'm from the East Coast of the United States, so historic buildings aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Fairly important if I'm choosing a location to visit. I like to explore the history of the places I go. Less important in a place to live than say jobs and a reasonable cost of living.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I like fabric. I like to go to fabric stores. Didn't we talk about that one time?
I think so ... Wasn't the premise that fabric stores are too big?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think so ... Wasn't the premise that fabric stores are too big?
I believe so, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning