U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM

5,076 posts, read 8,509,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Well it's still going to be boring, that much I know.
NoVa in general is an exercise in planned blandness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM

407 posts, read 407,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ditto, you can often get more consitently good bagels and pizza in the suburbs than the city for the NYC metro, as the ethnic populations responsible moved out. Generation change makes things worse, too. One local Italian / pizza near my childhood home, the owner (recent Italian-American, assume child of immigrants maybe even born in Italy) retired and his son took over, and the food quality declined perhaps from lack of connection to homeland.
Ehh, perhaps Long Island is different but growing up in Staten Island, we practically also live in central New Jersey for all intents and purposes (shopping, travel, work, family, etc) and it's pretty well known around here that there are two facts about New Jersey food: their bagels and pizza PALE in comparison to New York. One thing I will always miss if I do ever move out of NYC will be the unbelievable bagels and pizza, you're not finding it anywhere else. My brother even went to Italy in 2009, and couldn't wait to come back home for a slice from our favorite local pizzeria!

Of course, there are always exceptions and probably more places in Jersey that come close to NY bagels and pizza, but it's rare. I've known of these guys a few years ago through a friend, who used to travel up once or twice a week from Lakewood, NJ to Staten Island just to get everything bagels with cream cheese lol.

That being said, speaking of exceptions....my family has had a recreational home up in the Poconos since before I was born, and along the route that we take we've always been fond of a particular bagel store in the "middle of nowhere" of Northwestern New Jersey's farmland and exurbs. The place is always packed with New Yorkers heading home from their vacation spots, with lines going out the door at times... I do know that the owner is originally from the Bronx, rumor has been that their secret to being "the best bagels in NJ" is that he has NYC tap water shipped in..

Bagel Station, Sparta NJ: Google Maps

Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM

389 posts, read 400,577 times
Off topic, but is it northeast thing to call pizza "bagels"?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Hmm, never heard of that. In my above post, I was referring to two separate foods, bagels and pizza as they're both similar around here as popular foods that folks generally feel you can get the best of in NYC.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Quote:

Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Hmm, never heard of that. In my above post, I was referring to two separate foods, bagels and pizza as they're both similar around here as popular foods that folks generally feel you can get the best of in NYC.
Oh ok lol, I think the concept of a bagel here is basically just toasted bread with butter, though there is a particular place that sells a bagel with onions, sesame seeds, nuts, seasonings etc. Don't know if that's similar elsewhere, but it's pretty good.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I misread the above posters haha, I skimmed over the pizza/bagel talk, saw best bagels and thought do they mean pizza...

Only because out here nobody talks about best bagels, so I'm guessing a bagel is something more out east?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Quote:
Only because out here nobody talks about best bagels, so I'm guessing a bagel is something more out east?
Bagels are holy in the NY metro area ... and pitiful imitations everywhere else.

I could go for one of these about now:

Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Bagels are holy in the NY metro area ... and pitiful imitations everywhere else.

I could go for one of these about now:
Oh I see now, essentially a sandwich. I see why you said best bagels now.

Apparently I haven't lived enough haha, when I get bagels it's just the pieces of bread.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Bagels are indeed amazing in New York, as is the pizza. My favorite places are in Staten Island and Brooklyn though, such as Joe & Pat's and Lee's Tavern on the island, and L & B Spumoni Gardens and Patsy's-Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge in BK. Even with my desire to leave New York, regular trips back WILL be necessary for stuff like this...and of course to see my family..

Reminds me of how I spent four weeks in India over the summer/fall 2012, and had better tasting (in my opinion) Indian food here in Staten Island and even the Indian food I had in suburban Anderson Township Ohio when I was there....and better "Halal" style food at my favorite cart in midtown than anything I ate over there. It was actually a GODSEND that there was a McDonald's not too far of a drive from our hotel lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or