U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Look at the age distribution table for 2050. THE largest group of people are the Over 80s. I don't know how so many over 80s will be able to stay in the suburbs driving everywhere. So, all those 20 somethings looking for a party will be replaced by the Over 80s looking for a easy ride to their gerontologist.
The suburbs may change for the people. Most elderly "age in place". I'm talking more public transportation, etc. There are already plenty of services such as grocery delivery, special transit and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM

2,923 posts, read 3,644,250 times
For the last 70 years the trend has been to leave the city for the suburbs when you start a family. This trend is only slowly disappearing. What has greatly accelerated urban living is that many people are having kids later and having fewer kids. Dramatically so. So the city population stays much higher. I only see this trend continuing and even accelerating for the foreseeable future.

The interesting side bit to this trend is that, just like we've seen happen in Europe, as American cities become more desirable the city fringe and the suburbs become the new working class areas. And that does result in a racial divide as blacks and Hispanics continue to have more kids and still look to move to the safety of the suburbs without realizing that the suburbs, especially the inner ones, are decaying in many urban areas. Crime in the suburbs in many areas is increasing while crime in the cities is decreasing. I see this trend continuing which in short time will make cities even more desirable and more families will choose to remain. But not as many as might want to because many will not be able to afford it and will have to move closer to the fringe.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 5,154,377 times
As a recent entrant into the AARP club I am looking at doing my next rehab project in the city. As I get older, I find I am less interested in sitting and driving and more interested in walking and intertacting. I have several friends that are contemplating similar moves. It's an added bonus that RE is cheaper and there is less to maintain compared to the suburbs. This move can make retirement possible at least 5 years sooner.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,973,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As for New York City, assuming the census numbers are credible (Queens added more housing units than people from 2000-2010), there wasn't much of a difference between city and suburb growth rate. Many of the gentrifying neighborhoods showed no population change, or lost population as previous residents moved out. The areas that attracted gentrifiers and had large population gains were areas that had infill on previously non-residential land (waterfront areas of Williamsburg, for example). The decade where New York City grew much faster than its suburbs was the 90s, which was a decade of massive white flight with even more massive immigration into the city.
Considering Brooklyn's massive demographic overhaul from 2000-2010, I'd have loved for the census to be accurate, but it was riddled with problems, so I wouldn't take it as definitive as normally. That said, from 2010-11, estimates placed population growth at 0.9% (or 9.0% for a census interval), but even slowing down growth on average to half of this is still 4.5%, or almost double 2000-2010. I wouldn't say it's slowing down.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,796,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

The interesting side bit to this trend is that, just like we've seen happen in Europe, as American cities become more desirable the city fringe and the suburbs become the new working class areas. And that does result in a racial divide as blacks and Hispanics continue to have more kids and still look to move to the safety of the suburbs without realizing that the suburbs, especially the inner ones, are decaying in many urban areas. Crime in the suburbs in many areas is increasing while crime in the cities is decreasing. I see this trend continuing which in short time will make cities even more desirable and more families will choose to remain. But not as many as might want to because many will not be able to afford it and will have to move closer to the fringe.
I saw this in Houston, which really shocked me. In Baton Rouge the hoods are all in the city or the northern part of the parish. All of our suburbs are safe, with a few small bad spots but thats anywhere. In Houston it seems a good number of the hoods are outside of the city limits, the city limits are so large I'm not keen on what is actually in or out of the city.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,644,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I saw this in Houston, which really shocked me. In Baton Rouge the hoods are all in the city or the northern part of the parish. All of our suburbs are safe, with a few small bad spots but thats anywhere. In Houston it seems a good number of the hoods are outside of the city limits, the city limits are so large I'm not keen on what is actually in or out of the city.
I still know lots of black people out here looking to move to places like Palmdale, Perris, and Moreno Valley. I used to try and tell tell them that they are making a mistake, but it only pisses people off and they don't believe me anyway.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,585,768 times
Quote:
The Onion?

[you may want to check that source]

Old 02-24-2013, 04:50 PM

12,313 posts, read 15,224,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The Onion?

A lot of people have been fooled by the Onion's spoofing articles. North Korea pounced on this one.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim...ive-for,30379/

Last edited by pvande55; 02-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,058,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The Onion?

Yes, I realize it wasn't serious. But I thought it was appropriate for this thread.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,585,768 times
Quote:
Yes, I realize it wasn't serious. But I thought it was appropriate for this thread.
Fair enough.

[]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or