U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Curious about the level of subsidy for the Louisville housing projects.
Playing "gotcha" are you? The public housing in Louisville is all run by Boulder County, which everyone pays taxes for.

http://www.louisvilleco.gov/GOVERNMENT/BoardsCommissions/HousingAuthority/tabid/262/Default.aspx
Regal Square, 255 Regal Street
Hillside Square, 502-516 West South Boulder Road
Acme Place, 504 LaFarge Street
Lilac Place, 1301 Lincoln Avenue
Lydia Morgan, 1450 Lincoln Avenue
Sunnyside, 401 East Street
PLUS:
The Louisville Housing Authority (LHA) provides housing assistance to families and senior citizens. The LHA has twenty-seven Section 8 Existing Housing Certificates from HUD. The Section 8 program provides rental assistance to very low-income families and senior citizens who live in privately owned rental units. Currently LHA oversees all of the following housing developments:

(Govt. website)

Happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 872,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd agree, except for the last part since I'm figuring "ruined" means does not comport to your anti-car dogma but completely functional and enjoyed by the people who do live there. I enjoy going to the Haight once or twice a year, not that I'd call it carfree nor even car-light, just car inconvenient.
If Haight is Car-inconvenient then it may be on the track towards being Car-free or Car-light. In mostly comes down to the size of the roads, and the amount of parking.

In this regard, you may find interesting Chuck Marohn's comments on Kansas City

Episode 27: The KC Experience - YouTube

The planners of KC have gone overboard to make it easier for cars to flow easily through their city. Result: cars move fast, and pedestrians have to be very fast crossing the wide, wide streets. But even the car owners are not so happy, because they are not allowed to park on those wide streets - even though their is plenty of excess space which could be used for parking.

So in KC you see another sort of incovenience: Drives are made king, and even those who want to park are inconvenienced to permit rapid driving. I don't find this to be an attractive living arrangement. And I prefer a city like NYC which allows some parking, and often has cars moving at a slower speed.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 872,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I have seen mothers on welfare use the bus system. Sorry but if I could afford a small car, I wouldn't do that to my wife/girlfriend. Sure it is possible to take children on public transit but you are now asking the mother in question to push a stroller a few blocks while carring a diaper bag in all kinds of weather..not good.
I am not "asking" anything.
But I observe woman pushing strollers on the MTR everyday. And many of those people may own cars, but they find it quicker and more convenient to use the MTR. Perhaps because it relives them of the parking problem. Parking is expensive and often full in HK, so people just tend to leave their cars at home - it is as right and natural as anything you can imagine.

I think the majority of people who have lived in both environments for a long time, and become accustomed to the advantages and disadvantages of both, will tell you that it is the American car-dependent system that is flawed. And that is before you even come to consideration of the reality that the world is running out of cheap oil.

What you have here on this thread is a majority of people living a car-addicted lifestyle, who have not experienced the other way of living (in a truly walkable, carfree environment) lecturing those of us who have lived in both, and telling us that we are arrogant !

The irony is complete, and the situation is beyond absurd. It would only happen in Car-dependent America.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,856,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I am not "asking" anything.
But I observe woman pushing strollers on the MTR everyday. And many of those people may own cars, but they find it quicker and more convenient to use the MTR. Perhaps because it relives them of the parking problem. Parking is expensive and often full in HK, so people just tend to leave their cars at home - it is as right and natural as anything you can imagine.
Ah are thoose people living somewhere where it can get as low as -10F at night and in the day it might not rise above single digits in winter with windchills that can get as bad as -10-20F? Are they living somewhere where summer can and does get as high as 100F and temps in the 90ies are common? Are they living somewhere where it can snow and try pushing a stroller in the snow?

I saw Hong Kong weather it only goes down to around 59F in winter and gets as high as 95F in summer on a hot day! The place is quite mild from my midwest perspective. Hot and humid in summer perhaps but that is that.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Ar and gets as high as 95F in summer on a hot day! The place is quite mild from my midwest perspective. Hot and humid in summer perhaps but that is that.
Hong Kong is much more humid than it typically gets in the Midwest during summer. Cold, obviously not.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

B#2: The US is not the UK or Hong Kong. The transit system couldn't sustain what you are proposing. People don't use transit as much in the US.
No, but New York City is fairly similar to London, the city proper in particular. The city center probably has a higher rate of transit usage than London. And London has by far the highest transit usage in the UK. New York City has one mall above a large train station, and several others near a subway station. The only London mall I'm familiar with has a poor train connection and free parking, though wikipedia claims they may start charges.

Boston also has a mall above a train station.

Quote:
Probably not as many as you hear about via the internet. When Walmart first started, they mainly located stores in rural areas and small towns. Such places had often either never had a downtown of more than a few stores, or said downtown had long folded. That was the case in Lafayette, CO when Walmart located there.
Not sure about Walmart, but it seems like malls helped kill off the downtowns of a number of smaller New England and NY cities.

Last edited by nei; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,556,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I think you are focused on anthills, when you should be thinking about the Mountains.
Let's save our cities, and then we can worry about the lawnmowers.
The cities are not under any serious threat.

[i don't why anyone would think that]

Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
In theory autos can run on natural gas, fuel cells, battery.... the auto will be around on one form or another for a very long time.
Agreed to a point. I am uncertain if the costs of alternatively powered automobiles will be relatively inexpensive than gas-powered automobiles. And I think there will be a day when people will prefer other means of transport for a variety of reasons.

[and the dominance of the private automobile will fade]

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The cities are not under any serious threat.

[i don't why anyone would think that]
If you've ever been to a post industrial eastern city you might.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
If you've ever been to a post industrial eastern city you might.
To clarify, I meant in the context of this thread because, of course, the urban core of many cities is threatened (was or still is depending on the location).

[i question if the that is the fault of the automobile and 'free' parking]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or