U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM

389 posts, read 400,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Do you have any thoughts on what form of personal transport could replace the automobile? The only one i can think of is the bike, and I don't see that being a main form of transportation in American cities anytime soon.
Um new technologies? I'm pretty sure before there were cars people didn't know what the next thing was going to be. Just a thought lol. I think he said future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 873,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Katiana:
People are always going to want a means of personal transportation. You can't put that genie back in the bottle.
[whether it will be the automobile is debatable]
Agreed. [whether it will be the automobile is debatable]
What people?
Billions of people do without a car. Including many (like myself) who can afford to own one and quite happily, live without one.

I think the willingness of people to own, or live without one, depends on the cost, and the availability of alternative forms of transport.

That is why I seek a place to live where having no car will be a minor sacrifice. There are very, very few such places in America - which is a great shame. It the US continues to lose on its Big-Bet-on-Cars, there is going to be a great deal of pain felt by many people.

The whole thrust of the Car Owners' argument here is to either:

+ Deny there is a big risk, or
+ Ignore the imminence of that risk, by adopting an attitude: we will solve that problem if/when we need to.

Thinking rationally, do you really think the problem of having over half of Americans living a car-dependent lifestyle is a problem that is quickly solved?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Do you have any thoughts on what form of personal transport could replace the automobile? The only one i can think of is the bike, and I don't see that being a main form of transportation in American cities anytime soon.
Walking and Bikes work pretty well when they are a supplement to an effective mass transit system, or:

If people are lucky enough to live in a truly walkable neighbor, they may rarely need anything beyond a bike, and their own feet.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Walking and Bikes work pretty well when they are a supplement to an effective mass transit system, or:

If people are lucky enough to live in a truly walkable neighbor, they may rarely need anything beyond a bike, and their own feet.
That's right. Who would ever want to leave their own little neighborhood, for anything?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's right. Who would ever want to leave their own little neighborhood, for anything?
If your "own little neighborhood" is a rich environment like NYC or Hong Kong, I would have to agree with that.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
If your "own little neighborhood" is a rich environment like NYC or Hong Kong, I would have to agree with that.
And city people are supposedly so curious, and "urbane". No desire to see the rest of the world? How parochial! (Sarc, sort of)

Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM

389 posts, read 400,860 times
Quote:
Nor did they worry much about a "next form", because they had a traditional living arrangement that did not require such wasteful modes of transport as automobiles are today.

To me, you sound like one of those bacterium in the petri-dish who is saying "why worry" just as the population is peaking and the last bits of food are about to be consumed.
Wow lol, you completely misunderstood what I said, who is to say in the future we won't have modes of transportation that won't use energies that harm the earth?

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM

195 posts, read 235,601 times
Quote:
I think we forget how lucky we are to have so many travel options. I regularly travel across the country. A few centuries ago people spent their whole lives within a 100 mile radius of their birth place. Technology is great.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM

407 posts, read 407,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I didn't bring it up. Use a different word if you wish, but the poster I responded to blathered on about America, forefathers, individualism, etc., as a reason why highways should be subsidized more. I thought it smacked of moralism, the poster said otherwise, and there it remained until now.
Call my opinion on something blathering if you'd like, however I've seen plenty of folks "blather" about creating more "forced social interactions" by getting people out of their cars, or other ideas which I find completely ridiculous.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
And city people are supposedly so curious, and "urbane". No desire to see the rest of the world? How parochial! (Sarc, sort of)
??
I travel plenty. And have friends all over the world who would be happy to see me.
(Example: I got an offer to visit Perth, Australia yesterday.) But I do not need a car for any of that.

If I visit America, I avoid renting a car. So anywhere "off the grid" (ie that you need a car to see) is "no where land" as far as I am concerned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or