U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,870,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
That's because they did it WRONG.
Urbanists in the USA are now learning (slowly) how to make these things work.
All they every really need to do was to study carefully hoe it worked in the rest of the world, but Americans by nature seem to think that no one know how to solve problems except for them...
No. It failed because they imposed their view of transit on everyone else. It forced everyone to use the Bus or train to get to these stores. It blocked or made less attractive to people who have no choice but to drive downtown or people who were making a quick forray downtown before going elsewhere or people visting from out of state that drove downtown.

I know someone who would like to take transit downtown but her job rules that out. She needs to go to the loop, go to O'hare and go to many different sites all over the city and burbs for her work hence why she needs to drive. If all she had to do is go to the loop and come home public transit would be faster, cheaper, and probably less stressful so she drives during rush, yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 PM

389 posts, read 401,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The only Chicago expressway where unpredictable traffic jams are common is the Kennedy. Parking in Chicago would only cost on the loop end of the trip, it is free in about 95% of the town. If I just wanted a night on the town downtown parking wouldn't be that big a problem.

It would be a problem if you were to work downtown because you would pay it every day. Hence why so many downtown workers use public transit but if I needed to stop downtown and then go elsewhere and I were doing both things after rush, public transit makes less sense in that senerio.
From when I visited Chicago it seems like you guys have good transit, if you live in the city why wouldn't you take advantage of the walkability/transit? Driving in that traffic can be no fun.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
From when I visited Chicago it seems like you guys have good transit, if you live in the city why wouldn't you take advantage of the walkability/transit? Driving in that traffic can be no fun.
We do use the transit where it makes sense. Going to a sporting event, going downtown, when your car has broken down but it is not going to cause people to give up their cars outside of the most dense of places. It would be insane to drive downtown durring rush, unless you had a good reason. Outside of rush less so.

The problem of public transit in Chicago is that the bus is slower than the car and the el only faster durring rush.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,606,202 times
Quote:
We do use the transit where it makes sense. Going to a sporting event, going downtown, when your car has broken down but it is not going to cause people to give up their cars outside of the most dense of places. It would be insane to drive downtown durring rush, unless you had a good reason. Outside of rush less so.

The problem of public transit in Chicago is that the bus is slower than the car and the el only faster durring rush.
That's what I, many others I know, do when we are visit LA. Drive in from the suburbs, park our cars at the Metro station (it's free in Pasadena), hop on the train, wander around, do what we went there to do, and do it all in reverse back to the suburbs. Get the best of both worlds.

[no big deal]

Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That's what I, many others I know, do when we are visit LA. Drive in from the suburbs, park our cars at the Metro station (it's free in Pasadena), hop on the train, wander around, do what we went there to do, and do it all in reverse back to the suburbs. Get the best of both worlds.

[no big deal]
Yeap and that is how downtown Chicago works. Metra is our commuter rail and it takes people from the burbs(where stations may have parking lots) to the loop(where parking and traffic would make this trip insane for most purposes). They can live out in the burbs with a nice big house and head downtown to work/play.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 PM

389 posts, read 401,654 times
Quote:
Yeap and that is how downtown Chicago works. Metra is our commuter rail and it takes people from the burbs(where stations may have parking lots) to the loop(where parking and traffic would make this trip insane for most purposes). They can live out in the burbs with a nice big house and head downtown to work/play.
Heading back to the house in the burbs is different than say heading back to your place in Chicago tho.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Heading back to the house in the burbs is different than say heading back to your place in Chicago tho.
True, but lets say I didn't want to go to the loop but wanted to go somewhere else then driving makes much more sense. I live across from a school and most people who work there drive to work. They would need to walk at least 2 blocks to get to the nearest bus stop and then possibly have to transfer buses to get home. There is plenty of on the street parking as well as a lot, so why bother with walking 2 blocks and taking more time to get home?

In Chicago some people might park near a Metra or EL stop if they are heading to the loop as driving is faster and more convient than waiting on the bus. It really depends.

Last edited by chirack; 02-26-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 PM

1,329 posts, read 876,751 times
Quote:
I always wondered why they did not DENSIFY more around those Transit stations on the METRA.
I suppose that zoning laws may have prevented it

Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I always wondered why they did not DENSIFY more around those Transit stations on the METRA.
Partly but the people who live out in the burbs want bigger houses, bigger yards. You can't have that and have density. Metra stops are often in the older downtown area's of some towns so the area around the stop maybe walkable to some degree but again not everywhere is going to get as dense as NYC.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 AM

1,329 posts, read 876,751 times
Quote:
BTW - Here's how they do "Densification" in London.
I think it is rather attractive - Note that parking lots are well-hidden,'
and this place is "only 5 minutes walk" from a train station:
===========================================

New River Gardens (near Manor House tube stop)
Waterside London Living from 239,950

(Described as follows):
Stunning luxurious studios, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments and penthouses; all properties benefit from a private balcony or outdoor space

Unique waterside setting located by the New River, with over 42 acres of open water and stunning views towards the City

Excellent transport links to central London from Manor House Station on the Piccadilly line (5 minutes walk) with direct access to Kings Cross St Pancras in 8 minutes+ and just 16 minutes+ from Covent Garden and London's West End

Cutting-edge architectural design combined with high specification and well planned living spaces

Facilities include 24 hour concierge, resident's only gym, pool, spa, on site Sainsbury's local supermarket along with private landscaped gardens

(Note also how the mention the supermarket. No need to own a car, if you live in a place like this.
Why can American developers not build like this?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or