Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times

Advertisements

I read articles like this :
Red with EN-V: GM shows off next generation of self-driving, Chevy-branded pod car in China | Digital Trends

And wonder is there really any point to these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Sure, for people who have to get somewhere you have to drive, but dont especially like driving.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
I mean where would you use something like this? why would you use this over another form of transportation? Would this type of vehicle work anywhere?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I mean where would you use something like this? why would you use this over another form of transportation? Would this type of vehicle work anywhere?
Looking at the features, since it's electric with a 25-mile radius, it would have to be used only for city driving. And since it's a two-seater, it wouldn't make sense for families. Plus there's the built-in internet.

Overall, I see them replacing zipcars and taxis, as I've generally thought would happen with autonomous cars. Order a car on your cellphone, it shows up at your door, and takes you where you want to go. Such by-the-hour rentals will make much more sense to younger professionals who live in areas where they don't need a car every single day (e.g., those who can commute to work by transit), but occasionally need one for shopping runs and socialization.

In addition, the small size of the cars means they need less parking space than a standard car. I'd hazard a guess that in non-American cities, where the inner portions of cities are more tightly built and parking is even more scarce, this will be a big plus.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I read articles like this :
Red with EN-V: GM shows off next generation of self-driving, Chevy-branded pod car in China | Digital Trends

And wonder is there really any point to these?
Ironically, I'd expect to see these in the retirement communities of Florida before I'd see one in Silicon Valley.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Not the best design for America, but it's not designed for America. This would be awesome in most industrialized cities with reliable electricity grids that are both starved for space and filled with single professionals and couples looking for an affordable option like this one. Perfect for many Chinese cities, and I could see something similar with a longer range and some small trunk space maybe working here in Vancouver, as an alternative to car-share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning