U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM

6,636 posts, read 4,605,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
So you think the OP is an extremist who has an agenda to rid the world of suburbs?

Your comment seemed more like grenade-throwing, to me.
I never said anything about the OPs views. Ask him if you're interested in his/her views, since only he can answer your question.

What I did say is that telecommuting can and should be a part of the solution to our car/gas expenses issue. I also said it could be a less expensive solution than increased spending on mass transit. I also said that just because one company has decided to curtail telecommuting, we shouldn't assume it has no value as part of the solution and that to assume that may be part of another agenda. Not by the OP, but by a few anti-suburban extremists. No grenades were thrown unless you consider voicing one's opinion doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
"Yahoo says get used to commuting again"

Or maybe the real message is : "Live closer to where you work"

WHERE exactly are Yahoo's offices?
Missy Muffet, or whatever her name is at yahoo, seems to be a control freak. I think that's her agenda.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Wow.
This thread has gone downhill fast.

"Force people to move from the suburbs"?
Hardly. I have to much respect for people. I cannot force anyone to do anything.

I can, however, debate people and reason with them. But the way this thread is being hijacked (so quickly), it is not encouraging intelligent dialog of any kind.

I have many other threads that are much more inviting, so I will leave this one to the disrupters
I was not referring to you in my post. If you believed so, I apologize.

Could you round out your reasons for starting this thread? Yahoo has certainly been in the news about their reversal of their telecommuting practices, but what does that really say about telecommuting as part of the solution to the issue of car/gas expenses? Based on your previous threads, I believe I am correct in saying that is your main concern.

Trends show that telecommuting is becoming more not less accepted as a normal business practice. I think that's a good thing. It saves money for employees and employers alike. It reduces miles driven which correlates directly to less car expense, gas used, emissions and need for spending on mass transit. These are positives in my view. Shouldn't telecommuting be viewed as something to encourage as part of the solution?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Missy Muffet, or whatever her name is at yahoo, seems to be a control freak. I think that's her agenda.
Or her agenda is to reduce the workforce without having to call it layoff. Former telecommuters have been told they can return to the office or tender their resignations. Yahoo has been struggling for quite some time and reducing the workforce without the stigma (and publicity) of a layoff soothes investor fears.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 AM

Again with the multiquotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I hope not lots of abuse in thoose. (Company towns)Ah the problem is that the transit may not be suitable for the work hours. Where I live not all buses and lines run 24 hours a day. People who are dependant on transit can not live anywhere and work any shift. People who drive can.
Agree completely, esp. with the abuse in company towns. It seems to me, that ideology went out of style even before WW II. People were assumed to be intelligent enough to spend their money as they saw fit, and not "owe their soul to the company store" (and the company doctor, who would always pronounce them fit to work, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Factories tend not be located downtown and they have workers too. There are also offices around the city which again may be better accessed by driving. A person wtih a car can travel over a larger area much more quickly than a person using transport.
Quote:
That was not always true.
In fact, some towns/cities grew up around the "jobs core" represented by factories.

Mill Towns are an example of that
I grew up in a mill town in western Pennsylvania, which was part of a network of other mill towns near Pittsburgh. The factories were not in the downtowns of any of these places. They were on the edges. Of course, some of these towns weren't that big, so there were factories near the residential areas. There were no steel mills in downtown Pittsburgh, either. In fact, there were only a few mills in the city proper.

Quote:
Typical DC lunchtime conversation:

Jane: Jeez Bill, I just got to start telecommuting.

Bill: why Jane?

Jane: well ever since I moved to [insert 60 miles distant exurb here] I just can't seem to get to work on time! I mean I never even see my kids!
I always thought telecommuting was the new, "hip" thing, that having to report to an office and have some supervisor stand over one was "so 20th century"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yahoo speaks for just Yahoo. Many companies offer telecommuting to their employees and will continue to do so. According to the link below "Data from the American Community Survey estimate that the working at home population grew 61% between 2005 and 2009".

The Rise of Telework and What it Means | Newgeography.com

So why not support this trend? After all, telecommuting means far less is spent on cars and gas. In fact, telecommuting could solve the coming gas crisis some people keep talking about. And more telecommuting wouldn't require any additional expenditure for mass transit saving untold millions. Seems like a win-win to me. Unless one's real agenda is not based on concern for minimizing expenditures on cars and gas, but to force people to live in urban areas instead of suburban ones based solely on one's reverence for one and hatred of the other.
Exactly!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,664,847 times
Working from home can work, but it depends on the kind of job, IMO. My job is production-oriented most of the time; I use CAD to make drawings. But, I need to colaborate with others just enough to make working from home, on a regular basis, impractical.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,110,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I always thought telecommuting was the new, "hip" thing, that having to report to an office and have some supervisor stand over one was "so 20th century"!
That's why I posted that bit; I think it's definitely the younger generations with whom telecommuting is associated, but in the DC area it seems to be quite the opposite. It's mostly folks with families living 2 hours away so they can get afford the brand new suburban package.

Interestingly, a friend in Baltimore who commuted (by train) to DC four days per week and worked from home on Fridays just had a new boss eliminate all telecommute privaleges for the office. That was the final straw; she bit the bullet on the rent increase and moved. Might this be a trend? Hard on families and homeowners.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM

IBM, a "poster child" for a bureaucratic system, lets many of its Boulder employees work at home, all or part of the time. None of these people live particularly far from the office.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
That's why I posted that bit; I think it's definitely the younger generations with whom telecommuting is associated, but in the DC area it seems to be quite the opposite. It's mostly folks with families living 2 hours away so they can get afford the brand new suburban package.

Interestingly, a friend in Baltimore who commuted (by train) to DC four days per week and worked from home on Fridays just had a new boss eliminate all telecommute privaleges for the office. That was the final straw; she bit the bullet on the rent increase and moved. Might this be a trend? Hard on families and homeowners.
My company just closed another office and made the entire staff (57 people) full time remote employees. Some are selling their current homes and moving closer to family/friends or to a lower COL area. This happened to my work group about 5 years ago. We were all in one place and now we're scattered across the country. I like having the freedom to pick up and move should we want to or if my spouse needs to for his job. Since my company continues this trend, I believe their answer to the OPs question is a resounding YES.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,110,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My company just closed another office and made the entire staff (57 people) full time remote employees.
I am quite envious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning