U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times

Advertisements

This is a cross post with a thread (actually there have been many threads about it...) in the work forum:

No more working from home for Yahoo employees

I've been working from home (or more exactly whever I happen to be in the world) for the last 6 years. The important thing to realize is WORK is a thing that you do, it's not a place that you go. Yahoo apprantly forgot that concept. It's also becoming industry practice for more forward thinking companies - since it saves the company tons of money.
Yes it works for people that have the right discpline and have the proper job duties (obviously it doesn't work for someone working on a production line). Basically, if you have the NEED to be at home to take care of other stuff, taking care of kids for instance, then no it likely will not work for you. You will be distracted and you will end up unemployed at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Or her agenda is to reduce the workforce without having to call it layoff. Former telecommuters have been told they can return to the office or tender their resignations. Yahoo has been struggling for quite some time and reducing the workforce without the stigma (and publicity) of a layoff soothes investor fears.
Exactly. And as Kat said, the CEO is a control freak.

There is no sinister plot afoot to eliminate telecommuting as an option for companies who wish to offer this benefit to their employees. I highly doubt that every employer is going to follow Yahoo's lead just because they're Yahoo.

I'd be happy with being allowed to work from home one or two days a week. Other than that, I like being in the dysfunctional workplace and enjoy the give-and-take of my crazy co-workers, as annoying as they can be at times. My cats really aren't much help when I need fresh ideas.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My cats really aren't much help when I need fresh ideas.
Common hazard of telecommuting:

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly. And as Kat said, the CEO is a control freak.

There is no sinister plot afoot to eliminate telecommuting as an option for companies who wish to offer this benefit to their employees. I highly doubt that every employer is going to follow Yahoo's lead just because they're Yahoo.

I'd be happy with being allowed to work from home one or two days a week. Other than that, I like being in the dysfunctional workplace and enjoy the give-and-take of my crazy co-workers, as annoying as they can be at times. My cats really aren't much help when I need fresh ideas.
Agreed, esp. with the last paragraph. I have had a few nursing jobs where I could occasionally work from home. It was nice when the kids were little and home in the summers. I do like the workplace, too.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Common hazard of telecommuting:
Yep. My lap is suddenly oh-so-attractive to the feline residents of the house if there's already a laptop in it. I wouldn't mind so much if their little heads didn't get in the way of the screen ... or if they wouldn't sit on my arms ...

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,114,283 times
The trend in business for a long time has been to more telecommuting, not less. One failing company bucking that trend does not a new trend make.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,935,865 times
I live in central Manhattan and telecommute. It’s not only about lowering commute times, but being more efficient generally.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM

1,329 posts, read 872,207 times
How much does one's EAGERNESS TO TELECOMMUTE depend upon the time and distance of the commute?

I think the shorter the commute, the less hassle it is for Yahoo-ers and others to return to the office.

I think having a huge number of telecommuters in a company WILL tend to fragment company loyalty, and so I suppose I agree with the CEO, who is fighting to bring back a pro-company spirit, and foster a more cooperative, open communication.

Good luck to her, and for those folks who think they had a job which allowed a long commute only for those odd days they were in the office, well: Think again.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,490,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Working-from-Home: Does it work?

Some have proposed that working from home is the solution for Suburbanites with a long commute, and that this "rising" trend may save the suburbs at a time when they are threatened by rising oil prices.

So, I have to ask: Working-from-Home: Does it actually work out?

I am sure that many commuters like it, but now we have this new edict from Yahoo:

Yahoo chief calls for return to workstations

"To become the absolute best place to work, communication and collaboration will be important, so we need to be working side to side," said a memo from Yahoo's CEO.
Yes, unless employers are utterly moronic, they will continue to expand telecommuting rather than lease high dollar office space to warehouse people in suburban or urban areas where commuting soaks their employees' time and money. There are some jobs where being on site is required, but there are a lot that do not require it, and function as dry happy hours for employees.

In Yahoo's case, they are just trying to make job cuts without having an official layoff. If you think about it, why else would a company that claims to be attempting to make mobility their focal point, turn around and take mobility away from the very employees who are going to be developing mobile solutions?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,114,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I think having a huge number of telecommuters in a company WILL tend to fragment company loyalty, and so I suppose I agree with the CEO, who is fighting to bring back a pro-company spirit, and foster a more cooperative, open communication..
Totally disagree with this. More flexibility and telecommuting programs make employees more loyal. Employees who are happier with their jobs tend to perform better and stay longer. Why would an employee be more loyal to a company that forces them to come in every day?

Besides, Yahoo doesn't need more "company spirit". It needs fresh, new ideas, and whether they come from teleworkers or non-teleworkers is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning