U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 PM

12,313 posts, read 15,228,409 times

Advertisements

This probably belongs on the Work and Employment Forum but:
1) you need face time
2) bumping into coworkers creates better synergy
3) if the metro area is blessed with good public transport it creates a healthier downtown. I know of several companies that moved from the suburbs to center city because they could then draw from the entire region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,126,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
1) you need face time
Both of these are very job-dependent. Many jobs don't need face time and aren't concerned with "synergy".

Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 13,579,761 times
Quote:
1) you need face time
3) if the metro area is blessed with good public transport it creates a healthier downtown. I know of several companies that moved from the suburbs to center city because they could then draw from the entire region.
1) Depends on the job, you need measurable results, not face time. Even if face time is needed, work from home option can still be used every other day or so.

2) Depending on the workplace; one of the best benefits form working at home is to not be around the office drama. So much bickering and gossip in many organizations, better not to even be around these people, who just suck the productivity out of everyone.

3) Great and all, but there is limited space and the closer to a mass trans route, the more expensive it gets. Plus that leaves the employees to have to reside next to a mass trans route, unless parking is provided. After working in DC, I see how the prices jack up every walking minute closer you get to a metro station.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM

1,329 posts, read 875,335 times
Quote:
1) you need face time
Maybe a copy, could be set up there. (If the Mods would allow it.)

But a larger point here is that Working from Home, is not going to "save" the burbs. That point should be recognised, and the end of that mode of living should be planned and retrofitted before we run out of capital, from the ongoing cash drains that we experience.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM

87,039 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Maybe a copy, could be set up there. (If the Mods would allow it.)

But a larger point here is that Working from Home, is not going to "save" the burbs. That point should be recognised, and the end of that mode of living should be planned and retrofitted before we run out of capital, from the ongoing cash drains that we experience.
Nor is that the purpose of "Working from Home". Their are many reasons for working from home, none of which have to do with "saving the suburbs". Some reasons:

Flexibility. Some people work better at night, or in the evenings. (Not me, I'll add.) Also, it gives one an opportunity to say, go to the dr. in the middle of the day w/o taking up a lot of time driving back and forth; go to kids' athletic and school events, ditto.

Kids. While I agree with those who say that you can't work at home with small kids around, it's great with slightly older kids who are too young to be left alone all day but too old for traditional day cares, say the 10-12 year old group.

Ability to change jobs w/o having to change residences.

And many others.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 875,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nor is that the purpose of "Working from Home". Their are many reasons for working from home, none of which have to do with "saving the suburbs".
Sure, there are many reasons.

But some have argued on various CD threads, that the trend towards working-at-home might save the suburbs. I have my doubts about that, but I have not confused cause and effect.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Sure, there are many reasons.

But some have argued on various CD threads, that the trend towards working-at-home might save the suburbs. I have my doubts about that, but I have not confused cause and effect.
Please post a link. It is you who has been arguing that those who want to work at home are intent on saving the suburbs.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,225 times
My husband is in an IT field and has worked from home for over a year now. With things like Go2meeting you can still have all the information and meeting sharing you need. It saves us a ton of money on commuting, food (because he eats at home) and we get to see more of each other now. Plus we can live anywhere now and not worry about how it will effect us commuting.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM

My husband works in IT as well, actually telecom. He says there are few remote workers in his office. However, he made a very telling remark when I asked if there was any reaction to Missy Moron's edict for Yahoo. He said, "there's not much talk 'around the water cooler' there. Some days I don't really talk to anyone". Now IMO, that sort of negates the "we all have to work together" theme of Missy's edict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning