U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,890,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
5 million dollars is too much?
They are planing over $10 million dollars for the extension. For a short Downtown streetcar loop, that does sound kind of expensive. For a couple of hundred thousand dollars they probably accomplish the same thing with a couple of those fake trolleys.

Don't get me wrong. I think the streetcars would be a great idea, if there were enough people there to ride them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
They are planing over $10 million dollars for the extension. For a short Downtown streetcar loop, that does sound kind of expensive. For a couple of hundred thousand dollars they probably accomplish the same thing with a couple of those fake trolleys.

Don't get me wrong. I think the streetcars would be a great idea, if there were enough people there to ride them.

its called revitalization. in order to attract people to your town you have to spend money on improvements to the infrastructure, services, recreation and attractions etc. or people have no to reason to visit or live there. so far it seems to be working. revenue from tourism in Kenosha rose to a record $225 million in 2008. a quarter of a billion dollars revenue with over 5,000 new jobs going into a small county of a 166,000 residents is nothing to sneeze at. I don't think Kenosha will have any trouble at all in affording a $10 million expansion to the trolley line. they appear on track to become one of the state's top 10 tourist destinations.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM

1,329 posts, read 874,327 times
I am glad to see that Streetcars are coming back in some US cities.
We still use them in Hong Kong, and call them Trams. And it is possible a brand new system will be added in Kowloon, because they are much cheaper to build and operate than are Monorails.
===

Tram may suit Kai Tak better than monorail, operator says
South China Morning Post-28 Apr 2013
==
The French operator of the iconic century-old tram network is to argue that a modern tram system would be a better option for East Kowloon.

Tram may suit Kai Tak better than monorail, operator says | South China Morning Post

Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 PM

52 posts, read 49,370 times
HK's double-deck trams have been running for over 100 years.
I prefer them to the double-deck buses of London.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:59 AM

13,748 posts, read 9,859,499 times
In the 2011 State of the Union Address, President Obama stated his goal "within 25 years to give 80% of Americans access to high speed rail." Indeed this is an ambitious plan - NOT!

If the politicians were serious about getting America "back on track", there is a far more effective policy:
[] Zero Tax liability for any business or employee 100% involved in electric traction rail - manufacture, installation, operation or maintenance.

Instead of the political battles fought over taxpayer funds, don't give them taxpayer funds.
Investors will pour funds into rail, if only to avoid the taxman.
Factories would be churning out rolling stock, rail, and ancillary equipment.
Workers would flock to the industry.

Within 2.5 years, 80% of Americans would have access to rail transport, because the only way these companies are going to recoup investment is to get paying passengers and moving freight.

And that will provide the alternative and frugal transportation option for when the automobile is too expensive and/or petroleum unavailable.

But when did government or politicians ever surrender power or tax revenues without a fight?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,854,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In the 2011 State of the Union Address, President Obama stated his goal "within 25 years to give 80% of Americans access to high speed rail." Indeed this is an ambitious plan - NOT!

If the politicians were serious about getting America "back on track", there is a far more effective policy:
[] Zero Tax liability for any business or employee 100% involved in electric traction rail - manufacture, installation, operation or maintenance.
Most operation and maintenance is already done by states and has no tax liability to begin with.

Quote:
Factories would be churning out rolling stock, rail, and ancillary equipment.
Making stuff tax-free only makes sense if there's someone to buy it.

Quote:
Within 2.5 years, 80% of Americans would have access to rail transport, because the only way these companies are going to recoup investment is to get paying passengers and moving freight.
Except, of course, they're just not going to build it.

Quote:
And that will provide the alternative and frugal transportation option for when the automobile is too expensive and/or petroleum unavailable.
I wouldn't hold my breath on either of those.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 PM

14,074 posts, read 16,105,531 times
Nonsense. Just throw a tax write-off at it. It'll more than make up for the 40-80% operating subsidy and 100% construction subsidy.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,039,667 times
I love the trolley street cars on Istiklal Cadessi in Istanbul. Just imagine having to drive one of these things through this crowd

Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,958,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thanks. Yeah, thats what I thought. 300 daily boarding. #32 out of 33. Only ahead of the Galveston Island Trolley which is currently shut down due to damage from Hurricane Ike.

I think thats a big FAIL. Trying to extend that is going to be like putting money into a black hole.

Some of those numbers are horribly out of date. I would double-check them before jumping to conclusions.

Also, the list isn't exactly helpful in distinguishing anything. Light rail and streetcars are not exactly the same thing and some of the routes on that list are actually multiple lines all thrown together.

The Boston and Philly "Green Lines" are actually 5 or 6 different routes each that all link up downtown.

LA light rail is now 5 different lines.

The seattle numbers show the ridership for the light rail line and the streetcar line as one number.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM

13,748 posts, read 9,859,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Most operation and maintenance is already done by states and has no tax liability to begin with.
Facts, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning