Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,095,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I'm certain that image is an actual representation of the everyday commute for Londoners.
Have you lived in London? I have.

You see loads of dressed up people everyday, especially at Rush hour times. Londoners have no hang-up about public transport.

And here's how the widely popular Mayor, Boris Johnson, travels:

That is, when he is not traveling this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDwxNcURTU

Some folks here, really need to get out more! The US is way behind the rest of the world in addressing its transport issues. Wake up !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,034,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Slow can be good, if you can jump on and off where you like.
Ever been to London, and ridden on a RouteMaster bus?
No because those are for tourists who don't mind being ripped off. Just like the hop-on hop-offs in any other major city. When I'm in London I stick to the overpriced tube. Often hang about in Traf. square or wherever until 7 to save a few pounds on the ride home.

Unless I'm coming back from the club, in which case I ride the night busses like any normal human being.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,932,428 times
Quote:
They probably would not do it,
Because it would ruin their "brand" for possible Car Ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksugi9lC6rU

And intelligent and socially conscious guy like Edward Norton might back street cars or mass transit.
Afterall, he backed the development of the excellent High Line in NYC. But I wonder how many dumbed-down American film goers even know who he is, and would appreciate the values that he inherited from his architecturally prominent family.
the point is transit has a poor image in north america and celebrities could help to improve that. it doesn't matter who as long as they are well-known. edward norton would be fine but someone like angelina jolie would be even better because she is much more well-known. what gives you the idea jolie is interested in doing car ads? I doubt that and I have never seen her in one.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,932,428 times
Quote:
It is a matter of personal choice, of course.

Here's how they commute in London:
one thing I hate about riding subways is the incredible amount of noise. when you are traveling in a tunnel the high-speed movement of the train creates a massive sound echoing and amplifying effect through the tunnels which translates to a very loud screeching whine or high-pitched drone inside the cabin that feels akin to a knife piercing through your skull. besides making it impossible to hear yourself talk, or talk on your cellphone. cellphones don't work underground anyways but even they did you couldn't use them to talk to anyone because of the incredible noise level.

but once the train moves out of the tunnel you feel instant relief because the noise is instantly gone once you are out of it. for metro systems that travel mostly at ground level or above ground level, its not such a problem. but when the system is mostly underground like the London tube or the NY subway, it can be unbearable.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM

389 posts, read 467,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
one thing I hate about riding subways is the incredible amount of noise. when you are traveling in a tunnel the high-speed movement of the train creates a massive sound echoing and amplifying effect through the tunnels which translates to a very loud screeching whine or high-pitched drone inside the cabin that feels akin to a knife piercing through your skull. besides making it impossible to hear yourself talk, or talk on your cellphone. cellphones don't work underground anyways but even they did you couldn't use them to talk to anyone because of the incredible noise level.

but once the train moves out of the tunnel you feel instant relief because the noise is instantly gone once you are out of it. for metro systems that travel mostly at ground level or above ground level, its not such a problem. but when the system is mostly underground like the London tube or the NY subway, it can be unbearable.
Hm, I'm not familiar with the screeching noise, but waiting on a subway in a tunnel, I thought the sound was kind of cool. Like how if you have a powerful guitar amp and turn it up loud, the volume becomes a physical force. Cool in that kind of perspective.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,975,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've found this, too. Denver has a reputation as a somewhat "standoffish" place; people do not generally strike up conversations with strangers anywhere. However, when we were on the Broncos Ride to the Broncos-Ravens playoff game, some people were chatting up everyone. Some of them were drunk, as well, on the way TO the game!
Maybe times have changed, but when I rode RTD busses in the 1970s and 80s I found it to be a very social experience. Sometimes a bit too social. Too much unwanted conversations. I think Denver bus riders are as social if not more then any other places where I've ridden public transit. Special event busses like you described about usually do turn into one big party on the bus.

Funny my interest in streetcars started back when I was in high school, and I made friends with some RTD bus drivers (former Denver Tramway drivers) while ridding the bus. They told me a lot about what it was like in the old days when they started out as conductors and streetcar drivers.

Here is a YouTube video I found. It shot back in the 1940s, of a ride on a Denver Tramway streetcar from Denver to Golden and the return trip. Showing some nice shots of the Coors Brewery and Lakeside Amusement Park, and a lot of open space in between.

Streetcar 1940s - YouTube

Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,277,754 times
Here's a good article about streetcars:

The Streetcar Swindle - Reason.com

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,975,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

I agree, I hate subways. Not only that, but you can't even see anything out the windows. Except the tunnel walls. I'll take a streetcar ride any day over a subway ride.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 PM

550 posts, read 1,277,754 times
Quote:
Have you lived in London? I have.

You see loads of dressed up people everyday, especially at Rush hour times. Londoners have no hang-up about public transport.

Some folks here, really need to get out more! The US is way behind the rest of the world in addressing its transport issues. Wake up !
I know a model and a staged picture when I see one. It's not like someone just happened to take that pic with their camera phone during their daily commute.

Look, I have nothing against mass transit. Really, I don't. It's just that mass transit has lots of problems which make it a bad solution for most Americans. America is such a big country with everything so spread out that mass transit isn't a viable option for many Americans living in rural places or small towns.

My commute to college was 50 miles one way. Until recently my commute to work was 60 miles one way. Now it's only 36 miles to work. There's no public transit here except for buses which only transport the elderly and disabled to doctors appointments and similar places.

And you know what - there's really no public outcry for mass transit. Americans don't have European style mass transit because Americans don't want it! Think about this: most people that don't have a car tend to ask friends and neighbors for rides before relying on public transit. Even in urban areas. That alone should tell you something.

Sure New York City or Chicago might have good public transit but they have much higher population density too. I know someone who lives in New York City who is well off and she doesn't own a car. She has no reason to. In NYC things are so congested it's inconvenient to own a car. For most of the rest of the country a car makes things much more convenient.

I've noticed you start a lot of threads in a lot of different forums and they all go something like: Living without a car. Is it possible in _________? I don't think you're really wanting to know about public transportation in these places, I think you're trying to "educate" the people about the joys of mass transit.

Why don't you start a thread in the Wyoming forum about this? I would love to see their responses!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,095,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Look, I have nothing against mass transit. Really, I don't. It's just that mass transit has lots of problems which make it a bad solution for most Americans. America is such a big country with everything so spread out that mass transit isn't a viable option for many Americans living in rural places or small towns.

My commute to college was 50 miles one way. Until recently my commute to work was 60 miles one way. Now it's only 36 miles to work. There's no public transit here except for buses which only transport the elderly and disabled to doctors appointments and similar places.

And you know what - there's really no public outcry for mass transit. Americans don't have European style mass transit because Americans don't want it!
Every year, more Americans want alternatives to car dependency, for a whole variety of reasons, including:

+ Oil prices are rising
+ Car-dependency, and oil important dependency are a huge drain on the wealth of the struggling US Middle Class
+ A good mass transit system, with density nearby the stations, drives positive, sustainable growth

SEE VIDEO: In just two minutes, Chris Lineberger can make the case for the benefits to growth arising from and expanded mass transit system.

Some people, including many who post on CD threads, have not yet worked out that the American suburban living arrangement is in deep trouble, and is causing a big loss of wealth. But slowly people are waking up, especially the young, who probably see that by driving less, they can live better.

/Link: Young drive 23% less miles

Do you really think people can go on ignoring the economic arguments against car-dependency? To me it is so funny. It is almost as if your friend keep shooting bullets into his feet, and then he complains about walking. If you see him doing this, wouldn't you tell him that he would do better, if he stopped pounding the bullets into his foot?

Last edited by Geologic; 03-02-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning