U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,110,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Aldi does that. It's a PITA, because I don't always have a quarter. But since Aldi doesn't have bags, either, I've learned to use my shopping bags as a "cart", unload them at the cash register, and load them back up after the groceries have gone down the conveyor belt.
Makes for cheaper groceries! You could just keep quarters in your car.

Enterprising old guys here return all the ignored carts to get the quarters.

Not coincidentally, there's a liquor store across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,621,224 times
I live 3 miles from a mall, and go there less than once a year. I've stopped "recreational shopping". Not consciously, it just happened over the last 10 years. If I do go, I'll dash into a department store and back out again. For most of my household needs, I'll go to Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Goods, or Target; clothes at Kohls. They don't have them at malls (in my area).

I did recently have to kill time between appointments, and stopped by one of the oldest malls -- Plymouth Meeting, PA (built in 1966). I used to love that mall -- just 2 floors, simple layout with department stores at both ends. I was shocked at how empty it was at lunch time. Most of the stands at the food court were closed (don't like food courts anyway).

King of Prussia Mall -- I avoid it and that area like the plague, especially all of November and December. It's a zoo!! Traffic and parking is a nightmare. I remember when it was an outside strip mall with a few department stores. Then the Plaza was built, THEN the Court with its very expensive upscale stores. A very easy place to get lost/turned around in. Last time I was there was to dash into the Apple Store (only one in our area at the time), and dash back out.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM

32,401 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You could just keep quarters in your car.
True, although they'd probably end up under the mat, or between the seats, or under the seats, or ... *sigh*

Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM

12,443 posts, read 11,948,134 times
It's worth noting perhaps that shopping malls were a mid 20th century (sub)urban planning idea. Most of the rest of the urban planning ideas from this period, like towers in the park, total separation of residential and commercial zones, and obliteration of historic housing near downtowns, have been shown to be abject failures. The shopping mall, next to the cul-de-sac, probably has been the most successful element of planning from this era, but we shouldn't be surprised that it's looking a bit dusty at this point - most designs from the 1950s are.

When malls die, they die for the same reason that the sterile, single-use downtowns of urban renewal often died. If you don't have a setting where foot traffic routinely passes a business, and 100% of the people who go there are commuters, there's no stable base for businesses to rely upon. When a new bigger and better shopping alternative arrives, why would people continue to go there? And as others have noted, the problem is worse for a mall, because while a downtown with only 50% of storefronts occupied can limp along alright, a mall with only 50% occupancy will surely be closing within a few years.

It's a shame old malls are not well-suited to retrofitting. It would be an interesting experiment to try and turn one of them into a mixed-use development, complete with condo units inside the mall itself and a much smaller selection of businesses catering to the residents. I'm sure there is a small proportion of people who would like the kitsch factor of such a setup.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,297,282 times
While many malls have or are dying, there are plenty of very successful malls as well.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,372 times
the worse thing about shopping malls are the food courts. there's something about walking through the highly artificial and plastic environment of a mall that makes me nauseous. and the food taste as fake as the environment that its in, appropriately enough. its worse than airplane food which is what it reminds me of. the combination of lousy food and airsickness/nausea is enough to make you vomit.

food courts have the ambience of a prison cafeteria.

btw a search on 'dead malls' gives you 12,400 results on youtube. which is almost an unbelievable amount of youtube videos just for that one topic. to verify the results were accurate I clicked through a couple dozen pages of results and sure enough the videos were all about dead malls. duplicate results are automatically filtered out so the results appear to be more or less accurate. judging by that alone it seems to be a very substantial problem...or maybe a good thing depending on your perspective. well I say good riddance to them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d+malls&page=1

Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM

13,746 posts, read 9,859,499 times
Shopping Malls are an artifact of the automobile, a most wasteful form of transportation.
As the automobile slowly declines, and costs escalate, the Mall loses its allure.
The Mall is dead, and will not recover.
The future is high efficiency and frugality. And those forms that best represent it will endure.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM

32,401 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
there's something about walking through the highly artificial and plastic environment of a mall that makes me nauseous. and the food taste as fake as the environment that its in, appropriately enough.
Food court food is fast food. Moving it out of the mall to something not so "highly artificial and plastic" wouldn't change the taste of the food at all. It is what it is.

Quote:
btw a search on 'dead malls' gives you 12,400 results on youtube.
Big deal. A search on "General Hospital" on YouTube gives you 30 times more.

If you're looking for someone to share your outrage, keep looking.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,718,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

btw a search on 'dead malls' gives you 12,400 results on youtube. which is almost an unbelievable amount of youtube videos just for that one topic.
You should try searching for "cat"

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You should try searching for "cat"
yes but there are millions of cats in america. there are not millions of shopping malls. you would expect to find thousands or millions of videos about cats. but you don't expect to find thousands of videos about dead shopping malls, a relatively obscure topic. anyways I do realize its a very anecdotal way of gauging something. I don't take it too seriously.

Last edited by cisco kid; 03-08-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning