U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
This is rather bizarre. Not the recreation of an outdoor environment indoors - which I've seen in Las Vegas. But why would an Arab culture choose to make it look like an American mainstreet (rather than "mainstreet" Kuwait)? Unless it was specifically designed and marketed as a "little America".
Because Westerners run their oil industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Dying Shopping Malls : Where? Why? Remedies

I asked this question on another thread:
Why are Shopping Malls Dying?
Why do you suppose so many Malls are closing across America?
(And so few new ones are being built?)

I got an interesting variety of answers, to summarize:

Recent answers:

+ "Malls are dying a slow death as a result of better prices on the internet resulting from less overhead and more efficient business models." (W2PA)
^^^^^

this

Why should I go to the mall and pay $32 for a cell phone battery that I can buy for $4.95 plus $5.00 shipping on eBay?

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,832,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, open air malls don't make much sense, though doing a cover over the pedestrian paths work.
Ever heard of Lincoln Road mall in South Beach? Very successful.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,011,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Open air shopping malls might do well in locations where it's usually dry and sunny, but they don't make much sense in an environment where the winters are long, cold and wet. Seriously, I grew up in the Seattle area. It starts drizzling around the middle of September and while you might get a few dry days here and there, it usually doesn't quit until the end of May. You walk across grass and it goes *squish* *squish* *squish*. Plus it sometimes stays rainy and overcast right through summer just for a change of pace.

Most of the malls there are either enclosed malls, or straight or L-shaped strip malls where everything is paved except flower pots or raised flowerbeds to avoid the mud problem. In strip malls there's usually one long overhang across the whole building, or in strip malls with multiple buildings, at most a short open area where people can run from one under one overhang to the next without getting too wet.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I was responding to a poster who was referring to the Northwest.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,886,476 times
When I was a child, going to the Mall was entertainment. No cable tv. No computer. On the weekend, we drove the mall and walked around just for fun. There wasn't much else to do. We'd probably buy some junk we didn't need too. It was all part of the entertainment. People today are so busy and have plenty of means to occupy their spare time! Walking around aimlessly all afternoon doesn't have the same appeal.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I was responding to a poster who was referring to the Northwest.
University Village in Seattle does well. Given, it's designed more of a hybrid stripmall/lifestyle center so if you're in inclement weather you can park fairly close and hustle into the store. Most places have buildings entrances on both sides, so you can enter through the "service doors" on the parking lot side or the "quaint urban village doors" on the lifestyle center side.

I hate malls, so I'd rather deal with a bit of rain. Given, Seattle never gets blizzards and -30 degree weather. But I also wouldn't go shopping if it was in the middle of a blizzard either.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Seattle looks like it has a bunch of "traditional Main Street" looking commercial strips outside of downtown — University District, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill maybe Ballard. And they seem to do well. So lifestyle center's issue won't really be the weather. Don't think weather's much of an issue unless someone wants to sit. Victoria had a small indoor mall within its downtown, perhaps that's a decent compromise.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seattle looks like it has a bunch of "traditional Main Street" looking commercial strips outside of downtown — University District, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill maybe Ballard. And they seem to do well. So lifestyle center's issue won't really be the weather. Don't think weather's much of an issue unless someone wants to sit. Victoria had a small indoor mall within its downtown, perhaps that's a decent compromise.
West Seattle, Columbia City, Fremont, Ravena, Wallingford, Phinney. There's also smaller neighborhood downtown areas that haven't entirely disappeared like 24th St and 80th Ave, 15th and 85th. Aurora/99 is semi-downtownish in parts. I wouldn't say those are doing well. Lake City has funky little downtown that's definitely on the way up. Same with Hillman City (just south of Columbia City). Rainier Valley lost a lot of its neighborhood downtown "Main Streets," but there's still scrappy little pockets that just refused to die similar to North Seattle. They're not UD, LQA, Pike/Pine or Broadway, but they're pretty cool nonetheless.

Seattle is a series of annexations, and the neighborhoods still retain their old small town feel to a large degree.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,011,035 times
The indoor malls around the Puget Sound area seem healthier than in some other parts of the country. I'm sure the recession hasn't been fun for them, but there's only one mall in the area in danger of going under, and that one has been struggling for a long, long time. Notably, it's a mall with multiple buildings where people are forced to walk through the parking lot.

I think it's because the area isn't as saturated with malls. Most of the suburban malls are located in communities large enough to support them and are spread out far enough so they aren't eating from the same plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning