U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times

Advertisements

Our malls in Greater Vancouver are all very successful. This is because they were made to serve a smaller population and then the city grew through densification, so there's actually a shortage of indoor shopping malls for the current population, because you really need to be building from scratch to achieve a new shopping mall, whereas commercial store fronts are easy to build with infill and as a result there's something of a glut of these spaces. They've linked the shopping malls together with rapid transit so they're now expanding them into where the parking lots used to be and building condos, plazas, and parks on top of them, which expands the commercial space, helps address the housing shortage, and provides lots of new natural customers for the malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
University Village in Seattle does well. Given, it's designed more of a hybrid stripmall/lifestyle center so if you're in inclement weather you can park fairly close and hustle into the store. Most places have buildings entrances on both sides, so you can enter through the "service doors" on the parking lot side or the "quaint urban village doors" on the lifestyle center side.

I hate malls, so I'd rather deal with a bit of rain. Given, Seattle never gets blizzards and -30 degree weather. But I also wouldn't go shopping if it was in the middle of a blizzard either.
That is true, they tend to be more successful in the Northwest when the parking access is throughout. Though places like Bridgeport just outside of Portland is a great little lifestyle center except when you are looking for parking because all the little lots fill up so quick and make it impossible if you are just looking to swing in and stop at a specific store quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seattle looks like it has a bunch of "traditional Main Street" looking commercial strips outside of downtown University District, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill maybe Ballard. And they seem to do well. So lifestyle center's issue won't really be the weather. Don't think weather's much of an issue unless someone wants to sit. Victoria had a small indoor mall within its downtown, perhaps that's a decent compromise.
Portland has this as well, something I love most about the Northwest has been the cities' ability to save and grow a number of these traditional Main Streets.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,887,085 times
Here's a dead mall in Bakersfield:

Theater - East Hills Mall (East Hills Mall)

The Valley Plaza Mall and The Marketplace pretty much killed it.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
"Mall at the Source" is a mall near me that has been on a steady decline. It sits across the highway from the much larger and more successful Roosevelt Field Mall, the largest mall in the NYC area. Both are Simon malls. Another mall was added nearby recently and Roosevelt Field itself is slated for an expansion, so I think this one is done for.

Mall at The Source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has an awkward layout, the first level is separated into two parts, you have to go up to the second level (or back outside) to access the different sides. I haven't been to this mall in about a year or two, but most of the stores are gone now I believe.

Last edited by Infamous92; 10-30-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,153,863 times
Default very popular

I remember how popular they were at one time, when I was as kid I wanted to live in a mall today you coudlnt pay me to go to a mall. they all have the same look the same, smell the same same bunch of teens hanging out causing trouble.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,350,611 times
Downtown Seattle malls seem to be doing well Also. Westlake Center is being remodeled and has added a new large Zara department store. And Rainer Square anounced they are going to remodel . Pacific Place is always fully leased also.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM

1,252 posts, read 989,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I remember how popular they were at one time, when I was as kid I wanted to live in a mall today you coudlnt pay me to go to a mall. they all have the same look the same, smell the same same bunch of teens hanging out causing trouble.
Same here. I grew up within ~20 minutes of three major malls, but every trip out to one of them was like going to Disney World. Even as little as 10 years ago, I'd spend a couple of hours window-shopping or even just people-watching. Now, whenever I go, I feel like a fossil. Nevermind the fact that most of the stores don't sell much of anything targeted to my age demographic [over 34, and we'll leave it at that, okay?].

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM

10,907 posts, read 9,319,397 times
What's the big deal? If they're no longer viable, tear them down, and replace them with something that is.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
What's the big deal? If they're no longer viable, tear them down, and replace them with something that is.
Well, the "big deal" is that our policy environment has created economic disincentives to redevelopment. Sometimes it's not worth it to developers to spend the money to rehab, much less raze and rebuild. Sometimes the most profitable option is to let it sit and collect rent from low-margin niche shops. And, sometimes, it's government apathy, or worse, which limits what one can do with a piece of land, economics aside.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM

10,907 posts, read 9,319,397 times
Then, given the footprint these things have, especially, if their dead, someone needs to change the policies. Do communities/governments want what is essentially a giant dead hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Well, the "big deal" is that our policy environment has created economic disincentives to redevelopment. Sometimes it's not worth it to developers to spend the money to rehab, much less raze and rebuild. Sometimes the most profitable option is to let it sit and collect rent from low-margin niche shops. And, sometimes, it's government apathy, or worse, which limits what one can do with a piece of land, economics aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning