U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,645,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Top 10 Largest Malls
=====
#1 : Mall of America : Bloomington, MN
#2 : Arizona Mills : Tempe, AZ
#3 : Rodeo Drive : Beverley Hills, CA
#4 : Macy's : New York City, NY
#5 : Fashion Show : Las Vegas, NV

#6 : South Coast Plaza : Coasta Mesa, CA
#7 : Sawgrass Mills, Sunrise, FL
#8 : Ala Moana Center : Honolulu, HA
#9 : The Gallery of Dallas : North Dallas, TX
10 : King of Prussia Mall : King of Prussia, PA
=====
I've actually been to five of those (1, 3, 4, 6, and 8). 3 and 4 are not malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM

1,329 posts, read 875,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The King of Prussia Mall and Sawgrass Mills are as far from walkable as you're likely to get. KoP is your classic enclosed mall (actually 2) in the suburbs with a sea of parking, now with restaurants, a Crate and Barrel, a big-box strip mall (including a Nordstrom Rack), and a huge movie theatre on the perimeter. Sawgrass Mills is an enclosed outlet mall in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a sea of parking, and containing a ridiculous number of so-called outlet stores....

Anyway, the death of the mall is greatly exaggerated.
I never said that Malls do not ever work anywhere. Of course, many remain successful. And to keep that point in mind, I dedicated one of my first posts to the Top 10 Malls.

So thanks for your explanations.

We can look at both the successes and failures on this thread. No doubt, there will be more than one successful model.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 PM

1,329 posts, read 875,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I've actually been to five of those (1, 3, 4, 6, and 8). 3 and 4 are not malls.
That was not my video. I did not make it.
So I do not know what criteria he used.

Why don't you explain why large stores like Macy's are not Malls.
What is YOUR definition of a shopping mall?

Here's how Wiki-pedia defines Shopping Mall:

"A shopping mall, shopping center/centre, shopping arcade, shopping precinct, or simply mall is one or more buildings forming a complex of shops representing merchandisers, with interconnecting walkways enabling visitors to easily walk from unit to unit, along with a parking area – a modern, indoor version of the traditional marketplace."

My own definition might be a bit different - For instance, I see no need to have a parking area, if there are other good transport connections. But in 99%+ of the cases, there will likely be at least some parking.

Here's what Wiki says about DEAD MALLS:

In the United States, as more modern facilities are built, many early malls have been abandoned due to decreased traffic and tenancy.

In the mid-1990s, malls were still being constructed at a rate of 140 a year. But in 2001, a PricewaterhouseCoopers study found that under performing and vacant malls, known as “greyfield” and “dead mall” estates, were an emerging problem. In 2007, a year before the crash, no new malls were built in America, for the first time in 50 years. A mall in Salt Lake City which opened in March 2012 was the first to be built since then.

Until the mid-1990s, the trend was to build enclosed malls and to renovate older outdoor malls into enclosed ones. Such malls had advantages, including temperature control. The trend has turned and it is again fashionable to build open-air malls.

Some enclosed malls have been opened up, such as the Sherman Oaks Galleria. In addition, some malls, when replacing an empty anchor location, have replaced the former anchor store building with the more modern outdoor design, leaving the remainder of the indoor mall intact.

(Wiki doesn't mention transportation, and I think they are missing something important.)

Last edited by Geologic; 03-04-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,070,148 times
I don't get why the OP focuses on malls. There's plenty of shopping not in malls, and generally in the US successful walkable downtowns have their shops facing the street not enclosed in the mall, though sometimes downtown-like areas do have a mall.

Macy's is a department store that often exists inside a mall.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,721,233 times
Remedy?

Malls are dying because they are horrible substitutes for public forums. Let them die. Never build one again. That's the only remedy I can suggest.

Then build real cities and towns with walkable centers (not air conditioned spaces surrounded by hectares of surface parking.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,471,884 times
They've been replaced by open-air, so-called 'lifestyle centers' nationwide, such as The Grove

Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times
I have seen malls come and go in the 33 years I've lived in CO. Most still have some type of shopping on the premises. Many have been turned into these stupid "lifestyle centers". I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean. I've seen some new malls built since we moved here, too.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,471,884 times
Many American cities have downtowns which are supremely walkable, but are simply too expensive for the average working stiff to live in. If he or she lives and works in a suburb, he or she has no reason to venture downtown in the first place.

The social engineers have been trying to do just that here in LA and elsewhere for over two decades with dreadful results, and has blown trillions of dollars in the process.

Basically the pompous degrees they received from (insert liberal university here) have been repudiated by the local citizens whom they wish to shoehorn into living areas which THEY deem to be sufficient.

Those so-called 'liberal elites' and 'no-growth' blockheads turn out to be dumber than a pile of rocks.

Suburbs aren't going away anytime soon, and the 'war' on suburbs launched by our President and other do-gooders are downright offensive not to mention pointless.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,721,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Many American cities have downtowns which are supremely walkable, but are simply too expensive for the average working stiff to live in. If he or she lives and works in a suburb, he or she has no reason to venture downtown in the first place.

The social engineers have been trying to do just that here in LA and elsewhere for over two decades with dreadful results, and has blown trillions of dollars in the process.

Basically the pompous degrees they received from (insert liberal university here) have been repudiated by the local citizens whom they wish to shoehorn into living areas which THEY deem to be sufficient.

Those so-called 'liberal elites' and 'no-growth' blockheads turn out to be dumber than a pile of rocks.

Suburbs aren't going away anytime soon, and the 'war' on suburbs launched by our President and other do-gooders are downright offensive not to mention pointless.
Let me disabuse you of something. The alternative to sprawl isn't "no growth". The alternative is smart growth.

Horrid sprawl and growth are not synonomous.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM

5,642 posts, read 17,328,428 times
"They've been replaced by open-air, so-called 'lifestyle centers' nationwide"... UGH I hate these atrocities... I live in a climate that is very cold in the winter at times. These things are terrible, you take your life in your hands crossing the parking lot getting to the stores in the one by us, way too many cell phone talkin SUV drivers oblivious to pedestrians ... give me an indoor mall any day. This trend can die and I would be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning