U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,942,879 times

Advertisements

I don't have any data to back this opinion up....but I think malls and other shopping centers are failing because American adults are (sloooowly) realizing they have enough of everything. NOBODY needs another sweater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I find malls just too big. The newest one in my area can take 10 minutes to walk fast from one end to the other. And it is hard to get a parking space

They should make the malls housing. That is what we need.

Yes. Malls are too big and I don't like salespeople following me around the store!

Old 02-13-2018, 07:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 15,181,947 times
Another factor. I heard this on the radio. We are overbuilt! https://qz.com/1032723/theres-much-m...-capita-level/
Even before e commerce the amount of retail space in the US was unsustainable.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:37 AM

11,584 posts, read 3,963,981 times
In the UK shopping malls are often in cities, for instance there are four big malls in Greater London, the oldest being Brent Cross in North London which is being redeveloped and extended, then you have two Westfield Shopping Centres, one being at Shepherds Bush which is fairly central, the other being at Stratford in East London and there is also the Whitgift centre at Croydon in South London.

Westfield are extending both shopping centres two and in terms of Croydon a Hammerson and Westfield parnertship will totally redevelop the shopping centre with construction to start in 2018. There are also city centre indoor shopping centres, with notable examples being Liverpool One, Eldon Square in Newcastle, Birmingham Bull Ring etc.

Outside of London, in the home counties you have Lakeside which is out of town in Thurrock in Essex and Bluewater near Dartford in Kent.

In terms of the Midlands there is Merry Hill an out of town shopping centre near Dudley, whilst in the North there is Meadowhall which is three miles from the City of Sheffield, the Trafford Centre which is in Greater Manchester, the Metro Centre which is in Gateshead near Newcastle, whilst the largest out of town shopping centre in Scotland is Silverburn Shopping Centre at Pollok, Glasgow.

Other smaller out of town shopping malls include Cribbs Causeway, which is just north of Bristol the White Rose Centre which is in the Beeston area of Leeds, Braehead, Renfrewshire near Glasgow and The Gyle Shopping Centre, Edinburgh

List of shopping centres in the United Kingdom by size - Wikipedia

This however is nothing compared to the US where 1100 large shopping malls still oparate today.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-14-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,749 posts, read 54,373,866 times
We still see shopping malls here expanding, with new, higher end stores coming in all the time. We don't see as many of the packs of teenage girls hanging around now, most people seem to go there to specific store to buy things. This is in the land of Amazon. For example, this one is actually 3 separate malls with the same ownership:
https://bellevuecollection.com/

This one in the same city is a local gathering place, evenings and weekends full of people hanging out together, and enjoying live entertainment:
https://crossroadsbellevue.com/

Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 AM

11,584 posts, read 3,963,981 times
Amazon is very popular in the UK, although it' work practices and tax avoidance leave a lot to be desired.

Lots of glossy marketing by Westfield in relation to the Westfield Phase 2 at Shepherds Bush, it's due to be complete in March 2018.

The expansion will create 740,000 sq ft of additional retail, dining, entertainment and leisure, bringing the total to 2.6m sq ft (242,000 Sq metres), plus additional office floor space (45,000 sq ft), meaning once complete Westfield London will be the largest shopping centre in Europe, with over 450 shops.

Westfield London - Westfield UK

It's also going to be home to Europe's largest Japanese Food Hall, which is a bizarre claim to fame if ever I heard one.

Europe's Biggest Japanese Food Hall to Open in London Shopping Centre

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-14-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 11:15 AM

14,056 posts, read 16,063,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Another factor. I heard this on the radio. We are overbuilt! https://qz.com/1032723/theres-much-m...-capita-level/
Even before e commerce the amount of retail space in the US was unsustainable.
I think a lot of it depends where you're located. In affluent, growing areas overbuilt means different things than in stagnant or worse yet stagnant and economically slipping ones.

It's still over built out here in San Francisco area but it plays out very differently. If you look at Broadway Plaza (Walnut Creek) or Santa Row (San Jose), you'd think what retail glut? They both expanding and always busy. But then you look at Hill Top (Richmond) or Southland (Hayward) and that pretty much looks like what malls in the rust belt look like. Form factor is very different. Hill Top and Southland are your typical 1950s mall in the middle of a big parking lot located in a corn field, although houses have sprouted up. Santana Row and Broadway Plaza are more outdoor lifestyle/faux main street type, more centrally located. San Francisco itself is sort of halfway in between. Union Square is still doing well although vacancies are higher than they were, but that probably has more to do with all the retail that's gone in Jackson Square. It's more the lower foot traffic neighborhood stores or oddly large things like Loehman's old building that's been vacant for four years now with no sign of ever renting that are struggling. Rents are just too high for the lower foot traffic areas for stores to survive. Lease comes up on a typical 5-/10-year commercial lease and they close.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I think a lot of it depends where you're located. In affluent, growing areas overbuilt means different things than in stagnant or worse yet stagnant and economically slipping ones.
Yep. Affluent people need to shop somewhere and there are a lot of things where Amazon isn't a great solution. If you scan the parking lot and see mostly European luxury sedans, Lexus/Infiniti, and luxury SUVS, it's doing just fine. If it's on the city bus route from the Section 8 housing, the anchor stores are closing and it's only a matter of time before it fails. The Walmart is thriving in those places.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 AM

506 posts, read 338,276 times
I'd rather drive out of my way to go to The Americana in Glendale or The Grove than one of the older, indoor malls.

They're manicured and corporate and not great replacements for an actual downtown shopping district, but they're a more pleasant experience than the indoor malls that are noticeably dated.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:38 AM

2,273 posts, read 1,557,690 times
Because the current trend is not possessing goods but possessing experience. I am not part of trend group but lately I notice we go for walk by the river or gym instead of shopping. The main reason my husband and I go to mall now is for acupressure the Chinese shops have. I think malls need to focus on experience a little bit more than selling goods.

The indoor vs outdoor mall doesn't impact us in cold weather because no one will be out door when it is snowing a foot. But mall need to sell service now because that consumer behavior has changed.

Add kids play area for parents who need their kids to socialize or need a break from kids
Add beauty salon, which most mall have some of it (nails, massage, facial, hair cut..etc)
Maybe throw in a escape room in the mall, while people wait for friends/family they can shop
Put personalized shopping service or alteration service so people can go to mall n get necessity done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning