U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM

86,993 posts, read 102,568,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
c'mon don't you want a workout? More seriously a cart could also solve that problem.
Not every store offers carts, and not all stores like their carts being carted off (no pun intended) to another store. The cart returns are usually very close to the stores in these "marketplace" type shopping centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not every store offers carts, and not all stores like their carts being carted off (no pun intended) to another store. The cart returns are usually very close to the stores in these "marketplace" type shopping centers.
supermarkets do though. I thought it was acceptable to use the cart throughout the parking lot, either way they can't do much about it. At least I do. My car's close to the orginal spot of the carts so they don't migrate much.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
c'mon don't you want a workout? More seriously a cart could also solve that problem.
True, and the cart could be used as a weapon if any car gets too close. *evil grin*

I'd have quite a collection of each store's carts surrounding my car by the end of the shopping trip!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM

407 posts, read 407,497 times
Quote:
supermarkets do though. I thought it was acceptable to use the cart throughout the parking lot, either way they can't do much about it. At least I do. My car's close to the orginal spot of the carts so they don't migrate much.
Around here, some stores have a wireless perimeter system around the parking lot which disables their shopping carts by locking up one front wheel. I've watched people attempt it at the local Walgreen's and had a nice hearty chuckle, lol. The thing that sucks is that store employees have to come out and do something to the cart to re-enable it's wheel, as opposed to just dragging it back within the boundaries, so when you go there, you typically see a few disabled carts abandoned around the perimeter, especially by the bus stop lol.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I've seen carts require a quarter to use that you get back when you put them back. I've seen that somewhere in the West (British Columbia?) and England. I found a shopping cart left a block from me years ago. Used to cart my laundry and then left it abandonded.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM

407 posts, read 407,497 times
Haha, I remember those...a lot of supermarkets around here used to do that but it seems they've all eliminated it nowadays. They also used to have those little keychain keys that you could use instead of a coin, my mom had one lol.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM

389 posts, read 400,453 times
So I've been in NYC this week, last night I spent some time on the lower east side. On 2nd avenue and some other cross street, there was a string of shops and big box stores... there was the biggest whole foods I've seen, other shops were best buy, Nike, hollister and what seemed to be boutique stores as well. The weather was crappy yesterday but plenty of people were still shopping.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Or are we saying "dull and bleak" because people aren't outside, walking around, milling about or kids playing in the street? Google Maps: Here's a street in pretty urban and "walkable" section of Brooklyn....same thing, where's the people? Hmm, maybe in their homes? At work? At the store?
Eh. That's one streetview. I've walked around in Park Slope many times as well as other parts of Manhattan. That's a residential street, it's not going to packed nor look a downtown or Manhattan. But that even on the residential streets of Park Slope, there are far more pedestrians than I've seen in almost any other residential neighborhood (excluding center city), let alone a typical suburban neighborhood. Most walk to the store (few stores have their own parking, so they don't have much choice), take the subway and then walk back. Together with density, this leads to lots of pedestrians. More people on the streets than cars. Even past midnight in Brooklyn, I see people walking around.

Quote:
If that's the definition you're saying, then I don't see how either one is any more "dull and bleak", unless you're saying that the suburban example is just more "dull and bleak" due to it's aesthetic form, in which case is a poor argument and is purely opinion.
It's opinion, though I'll say there are some places that are intrinsivally aesthetically better than others but I'm not going to argue that. But aesthetics are an important factor, you can't judge a place without it. Sometimes forum arguements on the forum get silly when one is making statements based off their judgement on appearances and others on other factors; they're talking past each other.

Quote:
I would however bet that after school, there's probably a lot more kids outside playing with each other in the So Cal example versus the Park Slope one. Oh, I forgot, urban kids are all so enlightened and are chilling out at museums, art houses, coffee shops, hip Asian fusion restaurants and riding the trains around, lol. They couldn't possibly want to hang outside their house in the street riding their bikes around, playing baseball, wiffle ball, basketball, street hockey, swimming in backyard pools or just hanging out to hang out.
I have a friend who grew up in Park Slope and liked it. I don't know what he did for fun, I assume he had good use of nearby Prospect Park. As for riding your bike, within your neighborhood in circles, sure. But in many suburbs, there aren't safe roads (at least for children) to leave your neighborhood and visit other friends. At the other extreme, I have another friend who had a couple of streets and then to get elsewhere he'd have to go on a high speed arterial that was not really safe for walking either. My neighborhood was a bit better for biking though still had issues, most places except for one major commercial road safe for walking but things were very far away. Brooklyn isn't the best for biking but isn't horrible; the person I mentioned who grew up there did ride his bike to middle school.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,099,778 times
Quote:
Even past midnight in Brooklyn, I see people walking around.
Plus there's the Williamsburg 1 am rush hour: NYU Rudin Center Blog

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
I've seen carts require a quarter to use that you get back when you put them back.
Aldi does that. It's a PITA, because I don't always have a quarter. But since Aldi doesn't have bags, either, I've learned to use my shopping bags as a "cart", unload them at the cash register, and load them back up after the groceries have gone down the conveyor belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning