U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree, in general, with my thoughts/observations?
TL;DR... I just like to vote. 4 5.13%
Yes, I think that is a fair assessment. 30 38.46%
No, I think that is completely false. 40 51.28%
I can't decide... can I phone a friend? 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,581,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
...So...good to hear that the CTA is...still....used by "everybody". It certainly was used by everybody back when i was younger, and zero stigma associated with using the bus.

Of course, with the frequent headways and "conveyor belt" approach to running busses, coupled with Chicago's grid layout....the CTA was very user-freindly in terms of getting from A to B

People of all economic classes use the public transit in Chicago, still. I have a friend that easily makes high 5, if not, low 6 figures working in the Loop, but still rides a BUS to his work.

I think many people voted on the title of my thread, rather than the content of my post (at this point in time at least 2 people have declared it is "too long; didn't read... but I like to vote")...

So, for all the people who voted "No":

Can you tell me a city that has excellent (subjective or objective) public transit in which ONLY "poor" people ride it?

Can you tell me a city that has terrible (subjective or objective) public transit in which ONLY "regular" people ride it?

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 03-12-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post

So, for all the people who voted "No":

Can you tell me a city that has excellent (subjective or objective) public transit in which ONLY "poor" people ride it?

Can you tell me a city that has terrible (subjective or objective) public transit in which ONLY "regular" people ride it?
No ONE can answer this???

What gives?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,812,547 times
Quote:
No ONE can answer this???
"ONLY" is kind of a overly strong criterion. There's only one or two at the most cities in the US which could be said to have "excellent" public transit; in both of them people of all (or nearly all; Obama never takes the Metro :-) ) classes ride. And there's no cities where only non-poor people ride public transit.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
"ONLY" is kind of a overly strong criterion. There's only one or two at the most cities in the US which could be said to have "excellent" public transit; in both of them people of all (or nearly all; Obama never takes the Metro :-) ) classes ride. And there's no cities where only non-poor people ride public transit.
I doubt Obama could take the metro if he wanted to, security wouldn't let him.

As for a lack of non-poor people riding public transit, for suburban rail, somewhat close:

https://www.cbsoutdoor.com/Tools/Res...%20Profile.pdf

2/3rds of LIRR commuters have a household income > $75k/year.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,812,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

As for a lack of non-poor people riding public transit, for suburban rail, somewhat close:

Yes, but the LIRR isn't the only transit in NYC. Some of the Philadelphia regional rail lines (the Paoli/Thorndale line, for instance. Probably everyone still calls it the R5) are mostly wealthier people. But again, not the only transit, and there's no shortage of poor people on other SEPTA properties, or the MTA.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

And from what I can tell, LIRR isn't "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if anyone would consider it "excellent".

So more than a majority of the riders of LIRR make decent amount of money and choose to use a system that is far from "terrible".

If the system was terrible (let's say, one or two lines that only operated during rush hours, or with long spans of times without a train coming through), do you think 66% of the people using it would have incomes of over $75,000?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM

407 posts, read 407,275 times
Quote:
And from what I can tell, LIRR isn't "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know if anyone would consider it "excellent".

So more than a majority of the riders of LIRR make decent amount of money and choose to use a system that is far from "terrible".

If the system was terrible (let's say, one or two lines that only operated during rush hours, or with long spans of times without a train coming through), do you think 66% of the people using it would have incomes of over $75,000?
I think that they would still use it, but it would become much harder to get parking around the remaining stations, and the trains would become dangerously crowded (as if they're not already pretty packed during peak times). It's the fact that relatively speaking when you compare most other American cities, New York is so much harder if not impossible financially for people in suburbs to commute to by car. I mean if you're driving from Nassau County to midtown, you're looking at easily an hour and a half to two hours each way on any given day, around $700/month for parking and $2-300 a month in tolls if you take the tunnel. The last 60 or so years of Long Island were mainly built up to be an auto suburb, with park and ride stations scattered everywhere to Penn Station, just like how Metro North serves Westchester/Connecticut and NJ Transit does the same for the New Jersey suburbs. Most regular American cities don't really have this, especially when you have little to no tolls, traffic isn't as horrendous and parking downtown costs a fraction of the above. My buddy in Houston pays $10 a month to park just outside of downtown next to his building....lucky man, things like that make me so excited to get the hell out of New York. I really do not want to have a lifetime of packing on transit every day to get to work. Get my experience and pay off my student loans the next few years, then get outta here...

Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM

119 posts, read 159,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes it is. the bart in SF was not initially middel class, but the lawyers felt welfare people and prison releasees should also ride the bart so it changed into another ghetto train.
people dont like being mugged so they dont ride the rails. same story in france.
when the streets change ridership will change and not b4. obama spending billions on public rail and ignoring this minor detail shows an utter disconnect with chicago street reality.
I don't find BART to be all that bad. I have never heard the word "ghetto train" used before to describe BART or any other train for that matter. But I would say that the public transport in San Francisco where I live is pretty decent. I use a car when I'm going somewhere in the city that's not well connected or a little out of the way. But I like to use public transport if it's a short ride or I'm going downtown. I have heard great things about the public transport in Portland and Boston too. I'm site there are more but those two come to mind.

About a decade ago I lived in West Los Angeles with some of my family members, attended Santa Monica college, and didn't own a car ( they did but I never borrowed it ). Anyway I had to take public transport in L.A. Basically it's a little expensive, doesn't run very often and is pretty much a pain in the booty. On a positive note I got to see and know some very interesting parts of town that most people don't visit which was pretty cool. One was Korea town which I really liked. And that weird area below Beverly Hills that's both Jewish and Middle Eastern. Most people in L.A. just hop on the freeway in their car and go from place to place without seeing the areas in between.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:40 AM

550 posts, read 1,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
And there's no cities where only non-poor people ride public transit.
In small towns only poor people take public transit.

If it even exists.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM

12,289 posts, read 15,181,947 times
In small towns or other places with junky transit the only nonpoor who ride it are elderly citizens unsure of their driving skills and convicted drunk drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning