Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 AM

406 posts, read 501,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It'd make things much easier to comment on if the OP gave us a link (photos, streetview, or to the skyscreaperpage that he mentioned)
Not to speak for the OP, but I'd take a guess and say he's talking about a lot of the new transit-oriented mixed-use properties that seem to be going up very quickly around the US...many of which I've seen while under construction and they seem to be mostly wooden, sans some steel beams in the underlying structure. A lot of these buildings are finished off with a brick or stucco exterior, mimicking the look of a true masonry structure, at likely a much lower cost.

Here's a new Hudson Bergen Light Rail TOD at the 45th street station in Bayonne.

Google Maps

The only image I could find is the 45-degree angle Google Maps view, as the street view still shows a vacant lot from 2007. I pass by this spot every day either in my car or on the train, and it's almost near completion.

Another example I could think of is out in Fanwood, NJ's town center, next to a station on the NJT Raritan Valley commuter rail line.

Fanwood Crossing mixed use development:

Under construction:

Further along:

Rendering:

Location, and old building/parking lot that it replaced: fanwood, nj - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Wait, is this a thread about high density apartments or ultra low density McMansions?
It doesn't matter. It's all the same cheap, crappy modern American construction, designed to maximize developers profits. Got to make the 1%ers richer, and if 5000 Americans a year have to die because of it, thats the price we have to pay.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
This is simply not true.
Yes, it is true.

NFPA REPORT ON LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION AND FIRE OPERATIONS

In case you need it pointed out to you.

For Gary Keith, NFPA’s vice-president of Field Operations and Education and chair of the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition Board of Directors, the most critical step for dealing with lightweight fire issues is pushing ahead with NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative, which encourages communities to adopt ordinances requiring sprinklers in all new one- and two-family homes.

"What is most disturbing to us now is the movement by states, influenced by the builder community, to actually prohibit counties and municipalities from adopting a sprinkler requirement," says Keith.

The codes are influenced by the builders, with their profits in mind, not your safety.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
It'd make things much easier to comment on if the OP gave us a link (photos, streetview, or to the skyscreaperpage that he mentioned)
Here's a pretty good example of what I think he is talking about:

van nuys, ca - Google Maps

and finished:

Though I have no idea what the OP is talking about, almost all of the city of Los Angeles consists of wood-frame apartments and homes, which have withstood multiple earthquakes, fires, and this guy: Rash of arson fires continues, spreads across wider area - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, it is true.

For Gary Keith, NFPA’s vice-president of Field Operations and Education and chair of the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition Board of Directors, the most critical step for dealing with lightweight fire issues is pushing ahead with NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative, which encourages communities to adopt ordinances requiring sprinklers in all new one- and two-family homes.

"What is most disturbing to us now is the movement by states, influenced by the builder community, to actually prohibit counties and municipalities from adopting a sprinkler requirement," says Keith.

The codes are influenced by the builders, with their profits in mind, not your safety.

maybe its me, but that looks like its about sprinkler requirements, not about wood frame construction.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Yes, it is true.

You wrote:

"You do know that building and fire codes are written by rich developers, to maximize their profits, by allowing them to construct the cheapest, crappiest buildings that can possibly be inhabited, right?"

Of course builders have input as to the regulations that impact their business. No industry, not a single one, is regulated without the input of the people engaged in that business.

Having input is a FAR FAR FAR cry from being "written by rich developers, to maximize their profits, by allowing them to construct the cheapest, crappiest buildings that can possibly be inhabited."

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Risk/liability of fire in residential is highest in 1) older multi-family 2) older single family 3) newer multifamily and lowest in 4) newer single family. From a cost/benefit stand point it makes more sense to add fire protection to older construction rather than require it in new single family.

Also a significant number of newer single family homes destroyed by fire would not be saved by fire sprinklers, specifically the thousands of homes lost in wild fires over the last decade.

As a builder, I have the skill and knowledge to build a completely fireproof house, but I doubt you or your bank could afford it. I do offer a fire sprinkler system as an option in new construction but do not believe it should be required for single family construction.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Quote:
... and if 5000 Americans a year have to die because of it, thats the price we have to pay.
In a word: Yes.

Though I would guess that only a fraction of those fire deaths are related to wood frame construction and could be eliminated by stricter safety standards. So more like 2000. And, again, yes. That's an acceptable number of deaths.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Here's a pretty good example of what I think he is talking about:

and finished:

What's the building opposite the first view? I like the style of this block at least for new dense housing, especially their color scheme:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=van+n...3,,0,1.29&z=18

Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
What's the building opposite the first view? I like the style of this block at least for new dense housing, especially their color scheme:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=van+n...3,,0,1.29&z=18
Directly opposite the construction in the first streetview is the Hollywood / Highland Mall.

I like those apartments too, though they are pretty pricey for Hollywood. Splash Page | Rubix HollywoodRubix Hollywood | Live Life With Style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning